Stunt Review

barenaked ladies: Stunt
Released: Jul 7, 1998
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Reprise
By far their most successful album, it entered the US charts at #3 and sold over 4 million units at the end of its chart run.
 4.8
 9.5
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Stunt Reviewed by: Skierinanutshel, on september 08, 2008

Sound: The album begins with the arguably the bands' most popular mainstream hit, 'One Week'. I never get tired of hearing this song, ever. This album is much more 'pop' oriented than previous albums, although retaining the groups lyrical humor. This may be due to more-present drumming by Tyler that creates this 'pop' feel, but it works. Mid-album, 'Alcohol' is a flurry of noise, combined with a ragtime piano solo by Mr. Hearn. One of my personal favorites songs, 'Never is Enough', nearing the 3/4 way through the album, is a culmination of clean riffs, vocal harmonies, and electronic sounds, adding to the 'pop'-ish element of the album. The closing track, 'When You Dream', a mellowed out, spacey-feeling song sung by Steve, leads the album out nicely (slong with the ending lyrics of 'Some fantastic'), channeling the energy from the album nicely into the end of 'Stunt'. // 10

Lyrics: From the fast-paced tongue-twisting lyrics of 'One Week' (I summon fish to the dish although I like the Chalet Swiss I like the sushi cause it's never touched a frying pan), to the swirling, drawn lyrics of 'When You Dream', this album delivers lyrics eccentric enough that only could have come from Ed and Steve. Whether unknowingly deep ('Leave') or wacky and humorous ('Alcohol'), these lyrics will leave you contented as only a BnL album can. Also, this album contains many catchy chorus's, such as 'Never is Enough' and 'It's All Been Done (Wooo-Hooo-Hoo! )' that leave you tapping your shoes and humming. // 10

Overall Impression: Considered BnL's mainstream-success album (4x platinum in the US), this album featured a couple "firsts" for the band. Kevin Hearn was introduced with this album (leaving us with the current line-up of Ed, Steve, Jim, Tyler, and Kevin), along with 'One Week' being the band's first #1 single (US). Stunt is a perfect album to close out the 90's for the band. Overall, the album is a must for anyone who has heard of the Barenaked Ladies, and also for any 90's alternative fans. The singles, 'One Week', 'Alcohol', 'Its All Been Done', and 'Call and Answer' give the album a solid backbone for the other tracks to lead off of. If it were stolen, I would go buy another copy in a heartbeat, and I can't imagine myself ever losing this album. // 10

Stunt Reviewed by: WhitePonyDftons, on january 12, 2009

Sound: This is probably the best example of what the musical abilities of the Barenaked Ladies possess. The music is very peppy and energetic. If you are in need of cheering up or just want something mellow to jam to, definitely pick this CD up. The only thing is some of the songs are anti-climatic toward the end of the album. Although, all of the songs are instant favorites. The Barenaked Ladies are not guitar gods, but they know how to lay a track down and they have obviously displayed that. There are some songs with good solos, not mind blowing but enough to satisfy any guitar enthusiest They're special in their own way. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all catchy and for the most part humorous. Just because they are humorous does not mean they don't have a meaning though. Most of the songs have a message whether it be in, "One Week," which discusses a fight in a relationship with funny and catchy lines laced into the mix. Personally, my favorites on the album are "Light Up My Room," and "Alcohol," because I like the meaning of the lyrics and the hidden guitar fills that are only evident to an avid listener. The singer does not have that strong of a voice, but for the style of music, it fits perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: As I meantioned before my favorite tracks on this album are "Light Up My Room," and "Alcohol," purely because of the lyrics and the ability for the song to get stuck in my head. Good listens are also, "One Week," "It's All Been Done," and "I'll Be That Girl". This is without my favorite BNL album. I also own Maroon, and I am a big fan of their other works, but this is by far my favorite album. The only thing that I am not very keen about on the album is that the songs can be repetitive and the songs are not all peppy like "One Week," infact that is really the only song of it's kind on the album. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't be in tears because I have an Ipod... However, if I did not have an Ipod, I would definitely go buy another one to replace the stolen. // 9

Stunt Reviewed by: WhitePonyDftons, on january 12, 2009