Killing Time Review

bayside: Killing Time
Released: Feb 22, 2011
Genre: Punk Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Wind-Up
For anyone who either hated Bayside's last album "Shudder", or loves Bayside in general, their new album "Killing Time" is for you. The record, which Bayside recorded in Woodstock, New York with Gil Norton as producer, is a grand summary of everything Bayside is, and adding to those elements.
 8.8
 7.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Killing Time Reviewed by: Battman1993, on january 19, 2012

Sound: I can't believe this album hasn't been reviewed already, but here it goes: for anyone who either hated Bayside's last album "Shudder", or loves Bayside in general, their new album "Killing Time" is for you. The record, which Bayside recorded in Woodstock, New York with Gil Norton (yes, the guy who produced the Pixies' "Doolittle" and Foo Fighters records) as producer, is a grand summary of everything Bayside is, and adding to those elements. Bayside has been considered an emo-punk band for most of their career, but really, they're a pop-punk influenced alternative rock band. Some of the riffs on "Killing Time" ("Already Gone", "The Wrong Way", "The New Flesh") approach metal territory. The band is still churning out infectious rock songs, and having fun doing it. It's a shame these guys aren't more famous. // 8

Lyrics: First off, most of this album is inspired lyrically by frontman Anthony Ranieri's divorce. Secondly, Ranieri is still using a singing voice that's part punk snarl, hardcore yell, and part pop croon. The lyrics are written with a lot of irony and there's some humorous lines sprinkled throughout "Killing Time". // 7

Overall Impression: I absolutely love Bayside, and I absolutely love this album. It's everything I love about Bayside. The song I like the most is "Already Gone", and if it were lost/stolen, I'd replace it. Gil Norton seems to have inspired something within Bayside that drove them to better themselves musically, and Ranieri's divorce makes great lyrical topics. However, Woodstock didn't rub off on Bayside, except for maybe on the song "On Love, On Life". // 8

More Bayside reviews rating latest review
+ Sirens And Condolences 7.8 03/04/2014