The Walking Wounded Review

bayside: The Walking Wounded
Release Date: Feb 6, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Emo, Punk-Pop
Instead of dwelling on the past, The Walking Wounded shows Bayside clearly focusing on moving forward.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: shugo449, on february 08, 2007

Sound: First impression - oh my goodness. This is one of the best CDs ever. I picked this up expecting it to be similar to the previous release, but it was far better. The opening track, "The Walking Wounded", opens with a hard heavy riff, then goes into a verse, with carnival music in the background. It has an amazing solo, and a real cool outro solo, too. Their guitarist, Jack O'Shea, is amazing. His guitar playing works perfect with everything. anthony's vocals are great too. The sound on this CD is like the previous one, times ten. The best tracks are "The Walking Wounded", "They're Not Horses, They're Unicorns", "Duality", "Carry On", and "Head On A Plate." // 10

Lyrics: Anthony's lyrics are a lot less despairful then the last disk, and I'm pretty sure they've refrained from using profainity, too. The lyrics have a dark feeling, but they have hope and understanding, and offer a solution to the problems every band sings about. They fit real well with the music and Anthony's singing. // 9

Overall Impression: Dude, this CD delivers and then gives more and more then you expect. The guitar playing of Jack O'Shea is amazing. Actually, this whole CD is amazing. I don't mean to glorify it or anything, but it's really that good. For anyone looking for something new, you need to get this. For any Bayside fan, you shouldn't be reading my review of this CD, you should be listening to the copy you got release day. // 10

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2007

Sound: Bayside is a band that's been evolving from day one. At first, lyrics we're a bit cliched and "emo" but there were high points to every song. They've developed a sense of musicianship over theie last three LPs, too. If you listen to simple structure and musicianship in "Masterpiece" off Sirens and Condolences (which is still an awesome song) and listen to the 1st track on this cd, "The Walking Wounded" you can really appreciate the strides they've made over the years. O' Shea's guitar playing is ridiculously tight and solid. He shines in solos on "The Walking Wounded" and "Choice Hops and Bottled Self-Esteem". They may not be the most innovative solos but they fit perfectly in the songs they represent. Anthony Raneri's voice is one of the most distinctive in music today and he really let's loose with his trademark emotional wail on this cd. Chris Guglielmo does a great job playing for a band who just lost a brother in John "Beatz" Holohan. His drumming makes me feel like he's proving to the world he wants to be in Bayside and will try his best to honor the spot John left behind. The drums are very tight and aggressive, I'm no drummer but they complement the songs perfectly. All in all, the sound of this album is a leap for Bayside, it is less dark but seemingly heavier this time around. The addition of breaks in the music and utilizing different sounds (i.e. the woodwind in the title track) is welcome and fresh in this type of music. It's not so innovative but it doesn't need to be it's damn near perfect and should make any Bayside fan proud. // 9

Lyrics: Anthony Raneri writes amazing lyrics. They are sometimes simple and to the point, other times it takes a little thinking to get your meaning out of the song. Either way, the lyrics on this album continue to impress. The use of repetition, the unique flowing way Anthony sings fits so well and doesn't let me down throughout the album. This CD is definitely hopeful and less dark than previous albums. It is still full of emotion and words that tug at your heart strings. What makes Bayside so special is their lyrics are something everyone can relate to but aren't as obvious or cliche as the lyrics of a modern Wal-Mart country song. The lyrics on this shine are very impressive. My favorite line so far: "Should thank your lucky stars/For all the times you've been ashamed/You'll learn more from the harder times/Than times in vain" from Choice Hops and Bottled Self-Esteem." // 8

Overall Impression: Bayside is lumped into the emo genre usually. The truth is, Bayside is a band that sounds like themselves, they don't rip off other bands or make songs that follow the national trend. From Anthony's signature voice to O'Shea's ripping guitar work Bayside is on a level most contemporary bands aren't at. They have transcended the "emo" genre and will, hopefully, continue to amaze at live performances and with future works. The best tracks on here, to me, are: "The Walking Wounded," "Duality," "Choice Hops," "Landing Feet First." Every song on here, though, is worth many listens. If this CD were stolen, I'd find the person and kick their ass and take it back. If I lost it, I'd have someone beat MY ass then go get it again. I hope everyone supports Bayside as they gain exposure, continue to shine and stay, above all, good, humble guys. // 9

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: Ceeztabreez, on february 13, 2007

Sound: I'd be lying to you if I told you that the minute I picked up this CD and listend to it I thought it was amazing, but after listening to the album 2 or 3 times I did indeed think it was amazing. The opening track "The Walking Wounded" is a perfect way to begin the album. Showing the emotion and feeling in their music that only Bayside can, all caped off with a unique and attention grabbing solo by lead guitarist Jack O'Shea. bayside does a good job of switching up styles from album to album and in this particualr album they do this from song to song. You can tell in songs like "Duality" and "(POP)Ular Science" that they have stirived to further change the overall sound of the band but at the same time stick with their roots in songs like "Dear Your Holiness" and "A Rite Of Passage". Overall the sound of this album doesen't fall to far from the tree, true fans will be able to tell the music and solos are definately Bayside. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in "The Walking Wounded" match that of the albums that came before it. I think a big differnce that people will notice however is that the lyrics are a lot less "emo" and pessimistic (not all about girls) although there are emo songs about heartbreak and lust such as "Carry On" and "They're Not Horses, They're Unicorns", there are also deep and meaningful lyrics about vocalists Anthony Renari's take on the music world today and his perception of god in the songs "Dear Your Holiness" and "Thankfully" when he says Anthony's vocal pattern in this album does such a great job of stressing the lyrical aspect of the music and that in itself make these lyrics as good as it gets. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall "The Walking Wounded" is probably the best album from Bayside to date. The emotion and energy that Bayside brings makes you want to make a band yourself because you want to inspire people like this album will most likely inspire you. Does it sound like other bands? No! And that is what makes it so unique, Bayside sounds like Bayside and the guitar riffs and solos sound so good because you can relate to the music..mark my words there will be a song on this album that you fall in love with and that song will make you fall in love with the rest of them. I really can't finda negative aspect of this album. So if you get a chance to listen to a couple songs take these into consideration "Dear Your Holiness" "I and I" and "They're Not Horses They're Unicorns." So in conclusion if my Bayside:The Walking Wounded Album got stolen again, yes, I would buy it again, but I would buy 2 more incase one of those 2 got lost. This album is amazing! // 9

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: ToolFan7, on february 26, 2007

Sound: Bayside has been one of my favorite bands since the day I heard them. I loved all there CDs before, but this one is my favorite. The sound is more rock than emo.Jack is an amazing guitar player. Right when I heard the first track off of this album I knew I was going to like it. I don't think Bayside has gone too far from there roots. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They are definetly progressing in the lyrics. There is no profanity, not very depressing lyrics. Anthony Raneri is overall a great singer. However, I do not the lyrics and the meaning to Dear Your Holiness and Thankfully, because I am christian. But I still love these songs. But the lyrics too Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem are great. My favorite line off of the CD is "The healing power of alchohal/Only works on scrapes and knicks/and not on girls in seedy bars/ who drown themselves in it." // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great CD. The melodies are catchy. The lyrics are good. This is the best CD from Bayside. The most impreessive songs on the album are The Walking Wounded, They're Not Horses, They're Unicorns, Duality, Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem, Head On A plate, Rite Of Passage, and (Pop)ular Science. I love the solos and the lyrics that make you think. And I think their drummer is very good. I don't hate anything about the album. If it were stolen or broken I would definetly buy it again. // 10

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: baysidefrk1234, on february 26, 2007

Sound: Bayside has done it again. They are so very amazing if it's from there shredding guitar or powerful lyrics. They put out an album that reachs 75 on the Billboard chart. What probably makes bayside so outstanding is the bands originality. Lead singer Anthony Raneri is probably is what does it for them. Nobody out there sings like him he can really belt those vocals. On the other hand it could be there lead guitarist Jack O'Shea who has style that almost combines two styles of classic and kind of a hard rock. His solo on walking wounded and choice hops are amazing and his smooth guitar work on landing feet first and dear your holiness so his true color. // 10

Lyrics: Most people thought this album would be all about hard time and depression since the late death of drummer John Beatz but instead the lyrics show a new side of things and a new side of bayside. I think the lyrics just show what kind of band bayside is. Anthony's lyrics are what makes him so out on a limb then other singers. He just is very catchy in the way he writes like in landing feet first when he goes ah o ah o that part just sticks in your head all day. Some of my favorite lyrics on the album are what a lovely day for a symphony full of honesty and integrity so take it for what it's worth originality's not a cruse. Those are from head on a plate but my favorite are all the lyrics from popular science which are just amazing to me. // 10

Overall Impression: Does this album compare to any other hell no that's what makes this album so great and bayside. This album is worth waiting in the poring rain to get. It's just so amazing, I love it a whole lot. This song just want me to go out and start my own band with there style. The songs that have the most impact on me are popular science, and head on a plate but the whole album impacts me. For sure this is a must buy so get up and go buy this bad boy. If someone stole this CD I would go find them and beat the snot out of them. This is my favorite album and it will be yours to if your buy. Please everyone buy this album so we can support bayside and go to there concert. There super sweet live Anthony does a good job live and the rest of the band gets into to. Even if you go to one of bayside's free acoustic show go, you can meet them there really nice guys. So go out and support bayside. // 10

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: notetoself14, on march 09, 2007

Sound: How can you even begin to some up what Bayside has been through over hte past year and a half. with the death of John (Holohan) Beatz it is amazing that bayside has surrived let alone come out with a new 12 track album. Many thought that the album would show a darker more sad side of Bayside but surprising as always came with an almost happier approach. When I heard the first three songs on the album "The Walking Wounded", "They're Not Horses, They're Unicorns" and their single "Duality" I heard the old Bayside I was expecting but then I also heard an almost glam style resembling, bear with me P!ATD. // 9

Lyrics: Catchy lyrical lines "Who let who let this feeling die? I can't get you outa my head" can easily get stuck in your head but also some "Deeper" ones such as "cut cut cut cutting myself down to pieces too hard on myself it would seem that everything could see my self worth but me" show that they are true lyrical geniouses. Lead singer Anthony Raneri, doesn't have the truest voice, but shows an edgier rougher voice that I've personally grown to love. The music blends excently with the upbeat, downbeat and the upbeat flow that the new album shows. // 8

Overall Impression: I highly suggest this album to anyone who is a fan of any old bayside, smoking popes and/or chiados. I know chiados is a little out there but for some reason whenever I hear the album I think of them so I'm putting them in their anyway! If both my coppies of this album were stolen or lost I'd steal one of my friends three copies even though it's already on my iPod. I sing to it in the shower. my personall favorite songs are "Carry On", "Dear Your Holiness" and "Landing Feet First" I would like to close saying if you would like any bass tabs off the album, or any questions about anything email me at fauxfear@aim.com, my AIM is fauxfear. Also in the CD holder in every CD I hope you read the bottom, "This walking wounded is dedicated to the memory of john beatz. Our brother, bandmate and best friend. We miss you and we hope we've done you proud." Not taking anything away from new drummer chris guglielmo, he does an excellent job, but RIP Beatz. // 9

The Walking Wounded Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on august 04, 2008

Sound: The gold casing of Bayside's latest release, The Walking Wounded: Gold Edition, would lead audiences to believe that this is a greatest hits collection, and in some ways it is, taking the band's previous album, The Walking Wounded which was released in 2007, and attaching a smacking bonus DVD to the CD. The DVD's footage shows what this band means to it's members, vocalist/guitarist Anthony Raneri, guitarist Jack O'Shea, bassist Nick Ghanbarian, and their present drummer Chris Guglielmo who accepted the daunting task of replacing John Beatz Holohan after Beatz was killed in a van accident on Halloween in 2005. Bayside was in the middle of their tour then, opening for Hawthorne Heights and Aiden, and rather than dropping out completely from the tour, Bayside pressed on playing an acoustic set in memory of Beatz, who must be looking down from his cloud encrusted perch with enormous pride for what Bayside have accomplished and keeping their emo/post-hardcore values in tact. The Walking Wounded testifies to how making music has gotten Bayside through the dark days that followed in the wake of Beatz's death. At this phase, Bayside have established a strong signature sound so every track almost sounds the same, though it's not because the band does not diversify their mixes, but because their music is so them. Like the howling guitar spins that whip through Carry On and Raneri's vocals which graze up and down the music scales through every track. The band keeps their songs moving, stirring emotionally, and feeling like the music and lyrics come from a genuine place of inspiration. The slow rising floods in the rock flourishes along Landing Feet First are excellently rung, and the hard fisted cracking in the rhythmic beats of Thankfully are filled with hot-blooded emotion. The slight reggae curl in the rhythmic grooves of A Rite of Passage are consumed in emo-punk fires, while the final three tracks, I And I, Dear Your Holiness, and Landing Feet First are performed acoustically. It is almost like the band was returning to those days after Beatz's death when they played their shows with bare-boned acoustics. The contrasting tones of whipping post-hardcore tides and acoustic rays are interchangeable in Bayside's hands showing a complementing relationship between the two. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics speak to today's youth with words that reflect punishing pain, and the ways in which people cope with it. It's as if the trials and tribulations that most people have accumulated in sixty years of living is somehow condensed into the life of an 18 year old. The lyrics in Duality deliver this message, I take deep breaths to keep control to go on / I've tried 'brave' and I've tried 'saved' / I've tried to keep it bottled up / I think I've passed my prime and lost my mind and I'm torn / There's no telling what tomorrow holds. The lyrics reveal the heavy burden placed on the shoulders of today's youth, and yet, the lyrics hold out for brighter days to come like in Thankfully when Raneri professes, When we were young we never cared, and now we are scared of jumping in like we've forgotten how to swim / But I think that we should try and we should tread / Cause if we never take another dip again / We'll never know the joy that failure brings. // 9

Overall Impression: Bayside is like the mythical Phoenix, rising above its own ashes, only Bayside is no myth. The Walking Wounded is a must-have for Bayside fans, and it's a great retrospective for the post-hardcore scene, at least that faction which Bayside was involved in and helped further. The bonus DVD also aids in supplying fans with a retrospective of the band's history, their life on the road, their music videos, and several live acoustic performances. Putting the 2-disc set in a gold casing gives fans a sense that this is a very valuable item, but it is more than just valuable for the fans of Bayside. It speaks to a whole world of post-hardcore audiences who are enamored of the movement's camaraderie among musicians, stirring music, and lyrics that describe what these fans have endured, overwhelmed in hardships and yet holding on that failures have the potential to bring good. It has reflections of another singer-songwriter, John Lennon, who simply said, Imagine, and people did. // 9

More Bayside reviews rating latest review
+ Sirens And Condolences 7.8 03/04/2014