Different Gear, Still Speeding Review

artist: beady eye date: 03/16/2011 category: compact discs
beady eye: Different Gear, Still Speeding
Released: Feb 28, 2011
Genre: Alternative rock, indie rock, neo-psychedelia, garage rock revival
Label: Beady Eye Records
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
Different Gear, Still Speeding Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 04, 2011

Sound: I was upset to hear that Oasis had split up and hearing Oasis haters commenting on it with joy didn't help. With this said I was happy to hear that most of the oasis boys were getting back in the studio to make some more music under the name Beady Eye. Hate him or love him Liam Gallagher does make me laugh with his antics. Yet is he competent enough to make an album without Noel. Well the answer is yes, he and Andy, Gem and Chris work well together. The good news is that they didn't create an oasis clone, of course you can pick out the similarities but overall they got their own thing going. ITunes says that there alternative but there not, they're Brit pop mixed with various rock influences for example John Lennon, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. You can tell by the sound of the album that there not just trying to sell out and write top 40 fake pop rock radio songs, these songs are written from the heart and that's what I like to see. I'm going to run through each track and tell a little about em without trying to write too much or bore you. Also I will go over the bonus ITunes/special edition etc, tracks not on the basic cd. 01. Four Letter Word: interesting intro with a middle eastern influence, up tempo, has a pretty good solo in it very rockin, finishes strong, cool wah-soaked outro. 02. Millionaire: bluesy intro, Liam sings very melodically comes out really nice, great sounding acoustics, catchy simple chorus, feel good vibe, 03. The Roller: this one sounds like Lennon's Instant Karma, which is a good thing, catchy chorus, dominant piano chords in verses, simple solo, great drum work 04. Beatles And Stones: starts fast up, tempo, cool riffs, fitting chorus, Liam shines on this one 05. Wind Up Dream: clean guitar intro, has a nice bass groove, cool harmonica licks, 06. Bring The Light: up tempo, piano driven, seems like a Jerry Lee Lewis inspired song with some female backing singers that fit nicely in this song, great guitar licks, 07. For Anyone: Ballady, Liam sings in a higher voice sounds great, good lyrical work, nice work with clean guitars, has a good instrumental bridge, 08. Kill For A Dream: another slower song, nice bass work, honestly sung chorus, guitar comes in strong at the right times, some nice harmonies 09. Standing On The Edge Of The Noise: up-tempo, vocals are distorted slightly, rockin chorus, nice guitar n piano work, 10. Wigwam: mid tempo, nice drum work, I can hear some Beatles influence from the yellow submarine soundtrack sounds, some good harmony vocals at the end 11. Three Ring Circus: up temp, nice bass work, cool guitar riff, strong vocals, nice steady pounding drums, great guitar solo, 12. The Beat Goes On: mid temp, has some beatles influence, nice lyrics, Liam sings really nice on this song, strong chorus 13. The Morning Son: slow tempo, vocals have an echo, has a pleasant drone, suddenly picks up a lil, has a very nice warm toned bridge, finishes strong The next five are on special editions etc, you can find them on youtube. Goin Off Big Time: up tempo, rockin vocals, nice guitar work, simple solo fits well, has some nice bass work Sons of the Stage: strong cover song, nice guitar and bass in the intro, drums are the driving force, Liam sings well, World Outside My Room: has a country/blues feel, the vocals are delivered soft and smooth, has voices and speech in the background at parts like some Beatles songs, Man Of Misery: strong intro, distorted bass, up-tempo, nice solo, some cool drum fills, picks at the end Two Of A Kind: drums are the driving force here, vocals are delivered smooth in a 50s style rock song, some good piano work on this one. // 9

Lyrics: I was skeptical about lyrics without Noel's touch but Liam and the band members come up with some original lyrics, original meaning non oasis like if you get what I mean. Here are a few examples of some lyrics. I see no point in what you're thinking, I'm going out I'm talking you drinking simple and to the point. Another example So you been crawling through a maze, an alcohol lemon haze again easy rhyming but not just simple thought out words matching for just a rhyme. These are just two small examples that I found randomly but there's tons of good stuff lyrically on here that I think is respectable. Liam to me has been known to either have a strong voice or a weak voice. Iv seen many videos of him and he has his ups and downs live, usually I'm very satisfied with his singing in the studio. This time around I was blown away, Liam's voice seems stronger than ever, you can tell he was really putting his all into this record and into each song. His sneer like singing if present and fits in well along with him singing higher up on a track, which took getting used to but after a few listens really hit home with me. Now I wont go and say Liam is the greatest singer and what not but it works here as it does with oasis and sounds great. I do like that he tries different singing styles in some songs that were a welcome change. // 8

Overall Impression: I say I really enjoy this album. It gets better with each listening. I like how they try to keep it as original as possible in terms of not trying to be an oasis clone. The members of Beady Eye have proved to be competent songwriters who have given us a good rock album. Each song is different from the last with twists and different styles that all come together nicely. They grab influences from all the greats and it shows in their songs, which is great I love to hear that. The songs are not overly complicated or too simple and that's what makes them generally likable. I think many oasis fans will welcome Beady Eye and will love Different Gear, Still Speeding. It compares pretty well with oasis. I'd say the top three songs of the album are The Roller, Millionaire, and Bring The Light. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely get it again. // 9

Different Gear, Still Speeding Reviewed by: Rawjer, on march 16, 2011

Sound: Unexpected of them to actually release some softer stuff along with some heavy tunes. The fact that Andy has penned down some softer songs really caught me off gaurd. I realized that Liam and Gem are the ones with a heart for heavier sounds, but since Andy was a vegetarian, I guess I can see his softer side coming out. Both heavy and soft tunes sound great in the album. 01. Four Letter Word: Skyrocketing. This song's lyrics may be interpreted into Liam's relationship and recent fall-out with brother Noel, but in fact, this is one hell of a tune that could be about anything: love, hate, etc. 02. Millionaire: Honestly, I did not like this one as much. But, it looks like a song where you can imagine Liam sitting at a cafe looking into the ocean. 03. The Roller: An acoustic song with a catchy sound. I really enjoyed this one, but the fact that people are saying that it sounds like "Instant Karma" says a lot. Although Gem wrote this song, I believe that Liam's singing really shines here. 04. Beatles and Stones: At first, I thought that the song was referring to The Beatles and the Stone Roses (Liam's long-time inspirations) but I think that this song doesn't speak of them at all. The song itself possesses a catchy sound whilst sounding quite loud. 05. Wind Up Dream: A nice rock 'n' roll song with a very admirable intro riff. Unfortunately, I prefer the other song with "dream" in it's name. 06. Bring the Light: The first ever Beady Eye song that was released as a free download. I had first thought that this song was absolute shit. However, after listening to this more and more - I love it! Sounds a lot like 50's/ 60's rock 'n' roll. 07. For Anyone: I love this song. Unbelievable how Liam's voice goes really high. More for the modern "pop" fan. 08. Kill For a Dream: This song has some of the best lyrics on the album. Although a softer song, it sounds close to a melancholic song that could possibly written by brother Noel. 09. Standing on the Edge of the Noise: The name speaks for itself. Why the song is named after one of the last Oasis tours I do not know, but this has a killer chorus and could sound like a good band intro song. 10. Wigwam: This song came out and people are saying that this was the "Champagne Supernova" of Beady Eye, however, I can honestly say that this song was kind of a disappointment. Maybe it was because it had a huge hype. Still, a nice piano/ organ intro with reverb'd Liam vocals sound great. The middle part with the "sha la la" almost ruins it. for me. 11. Three Ring Circus: A great rock 'n' roll song, I can almost say the archetypical Beady Eye song. Of course, I can say that everybody would prove me wrong. 12. The Beat Goes On: Of course, this is one of the highlights. When I first heard this song, it sounded like something I had heard before. The lyrics on the song is mega. Definitely a song to check out. 13. The Morning Son: GREAT. This is MY favorite song on this album. This is THE "Champagne Supernova" of Beady Eye. This song starts off on a beach with water waves and birds, then it leads into a similar sounding chord progression (all you guitar players will hear this immeditately.) Soft, then louder, then mega - just like "Champagne Supernova". The lyrics were written by Liam himself... it's up there with "I'm Outta Time", "Songbird", and "Boy with the Blues". // 10

Lyrics: Being a long time Oasis fan, I did not expect the lyrics to be any good without Noel. Saying that, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard some of the lyrics. Although a lot of the softer songs' lyrics seem a bit emotional, the heavier songs are where it falls out a bit. The only song that is on my highlight reel that is also on the list of "heavy" would be Four Letter Word, which has actual meaning. Softer would definitely be The Morning Son. Liam's voice has definitely changed but obviously, he's going to sound different live. // 10

Overall Impression: Of course, it's not the best album that I have (because I've got a bunch of Oasis stuff,) but it can hold it's own. My favorites: - "The Morning Son" - "The Roller" - "Four Letter Word" I love that Beady Eye have gone on and recorded an album before Noel, but I can guarantee that Noel's album will be my favorite. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely go out and buy it again. Along with the rest of their albums and Noel's album. // 10

More Beady Eye reviews rating latest review