Licensed To Ill Review

beastie boys: Licensed To Ill
Release Date: 1986
Label: Def Jam
Genres: Golden Age, East Coast Rap
Perhaps Licensed to Ill was inevitable -- a white group blending rock and rap, giving them the first number one album in hip-hop history.
 9.9
Licensed To Ill Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on november 04, 2006

Sound: For a hip-hop sort of group, the sound is amazingly metallic. Rather than the heavily electronic, techno sort of sound most hip hop groups have, the beastie boys use heavily distorted power chords with riffs snatched from bands such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Then you will hear the trio sing, and they have very hip hop friendly voices. They clearly don't have great singing voices, but they work great for their music. Although they are described as hip hop, I think of them more as rock. So if you're someone like me who isn't really a rap person, and is much more of a rock person, you should like the sound of the beasties. Very rock oriented, Metallica sound. // 10

Lyrics: The Beastie boys lyrics are hillarious. If you listen to the lyrics in this song, you will be through the roof laughing. Songs such as "Fight For Your Right" and "Girls" Are just hillarious. Obviously, these aren't exactly well thought out intelligent lyrics, but they are very funny hip hop lyrics, and rather than just focusing on sex like most hip hop groups seem to, they have a wide variety of subjects. The lyrics aren't always intelligent, but are always hillarious. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best hip hop albums of all time. This is probably my second favorite rap album, after it takes a nation of millions to hold us back by public enemy. But public enemy and the beastie boys are two very different kinds of rap, public enemy is more funky, and the beastie boys are more rock. My favorite song on here, and song that no one ever seems to mention from this album, is rhymin and stealin, which starts out with the drums from when the levee breaks, then goes into the riff from sweet leaf by black sabbath. The best songs are Rhymin And Stealin, Brass Monkey, (of course) Fight For Your Right, No Sleep 'til Brooklyn, and Time To Get Ill. My only real complaint about this album is that it's somewhat repepative. Other than that, a hip hop comedy classic. Very worth the money, even if your like me, where you're not exactly a hip-hop fan. So if you are a fan of rock and metal, try this one out. // 1

Licensed To Ill Reviewed by: valor118, on july 23, 2007

Sound: The Beastie Boys instantly became a hit after there first release single "Fight For Your Right". Before this album I thought that the Beastie Boys were just a bunch of kids cursing up on the stage. This was a break through album, and probably there best. The sound of this album really explains what fun means. Like "Fight for your Right", they are trying to send a message that says, stand up for what you want, don't let anyone bring you down. There were numerous hits on this album. "Fight for your Right", "Brass Monkey", "Girls", "No Sleep Till Brooklyn", and "Paul Revere". All these songs are trying to tell you to have fun and do what you think is right. They have powerful meanings to these songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are a little more on the adult side, but fun and has a good tune to dance to. These lyrics are powerful and meaningful to me. They want to do whatever they want. They were trying to reach out to people and tell them to fight for your right. When I first listened to "Brass Monkey". I started dancing and laughing at the same time. Those lyrics are ment to be fun, which I thin was the message that the Beastie Boys were trying to send out. I rate this a perfect 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was probably their best album. This album gave me the impression to not be shy and dance. Don't be afraid to give your own opinion. The Beastie Boys are a great inspiration to those who are shy and afraid to stand up for themselves. If you buy this album I think you will understand that they were trying to say, to take a chance and give it your best shot. I rate this overall impression a perfect 10. // 10

More Beastie Boys reviews rating latest review