A Hard Day's Night Review

beatles: A Hard Day's Night
Released: Jul 10, 1964
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop, Rock & Roll, British Invasion, Pop/Rock, Merseybeat
A Hard Day's Night is where the Beatles became mythical, but this is the sound of Beatlemania in all of its giddy glory.
 8.8
 9.1
 8.5
A Hard Day's Night Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on may 18, 2005

Sound: Classic pre-Revolver Beatles. This album sets the standard for what sixties rock should be. The album starts off with the title song, Lennon's vocals are great and George does one of his amazing solos on his Rickenbacker 12-string. This is then followed up by I Should Have Known Better, a faster number much like Hard Day's Night that also features Lennon on harmonica. But this album doesn't just have thier faster numbers, this album has many of the Beatles best love ballads such as If I Fell, And I Love Her, I'll Be Back, and Things We Said Today. // 10

Lyrics: Who can top the songwriting skills of Lennon and McCartney. Although this album lacks their later cryptic and more poetic songs, this album still offers many beautiful love songs and up-beat numbers. The best song, lyrically speaking, would have to be I'll Be Back. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is an absolute must have for any Beatles fan. It shows the Beatles best work prior to the release of Revolver. This album is one amazing song after another. Though simplistic, the lyrics are still classic Lennon-McCartney. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definately replace it. // 10

A Hard Day's Night Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on october 23, 2009

Sound: A Hard Day's Night is regarded as The Beatles' first classic. The seven songs from side 1 were featured in the United Artists movie - wait for it - "A Hard Day's Night". The third album The Beatles recorded has the best production and sound out of the first 3. Although the actually musical style didn't change much, there is a different feel to this album compared to "Please Please Me" and "With The Beatles". For the first time, every song on the album was written by Lennon and McCartney. Also note that it was the first album recorded on a 4-track recorder. // 8

Lyrics: As usual The Beatles don't go wrong at all in this department, A Hard Day's Night possibly contains the best vocals yet, with the stunning harmony in "If I Fell" and very clever lyric ideas in "Can't Buy Me Love" and "A Hard Day's Night". Also, the harmony in "I'll Be Back" completely makes the song and brilliantly closes the album (And The Beatles really know how to end an album!). All Beatles with the exception of Ringo (unfortunately) have lead vocal roles on the album. John takes lead on "I Should Have Known Bette" and "I'll Cry Instead", Paul sings lead in "And I Love Her" and "Things We Said Today" and George takes center stage on "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You". // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, many people regard this as The Beatles' first classic, and I wouldn't blame anyone for having that opinion, however, I prefer the first two albums simply because their structure and tone, and I know a lot of people will say that the tone is the same, but I think the feel of the album is slightly different. I still think A Hard Day's Night is a brilliant album though, with songs like "A Hard Day's Night", "You Can't Do That" and "I'll Be Back". I would recommend it to anyone looking for an early classic. If it were stolen or lost I would be in HMV tomorrow re-buying it. A good 8 out of 10 at least. // 8

A Hard Day's Night Reviewed by: Mr. Saboteur, on october 11, 2006

Sound: "A Hard Day's Night" exemplifies the excitement surrounding The Beatles during Beatlemania in the mid 60's. Their melodies became a little more complex than their primitive numbers like "Love Me Do". Songs like "Can't Buy Me Love", "A Hard Day's Night", "You Can't Do That" brought about catchy riffs and melody lines to go with their carefree attitude. For it's time, their sound was revolutionary. // 9

Lyrics: This is actually the first album of The Beatles that was written completely without any cover songs (also the first time since Billy Holly and the Crickets in the mid 50's). John's lyrical potential beings to blossom with songs "If I Fell" and "You Can't Do That". These songs would plant a seed for what was to come later on first with "Help!" and then "Rubber Soul". // 9

Overall Impression: What's nice about this album is that we can catch the excitement of Beatlemania during the '60s just by listening all the way through this record. "A Hard Day's Night" serves as a time capsule for '60s and classic rock and therefore is worth owning. The Beatles would become more sophisticated in their songwriting later on, but it is nice to see their progression as musicians and songwriters starting with this album. // 10

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012