Abbey Road Review

artist: beatles date: 11/26/2012 category: compact discs
beatles: Abbey Road
Released: Sep 26, 1969
Genre: Rock & Roll, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Psychedelic, Pop/Rock, British Psychedelia, Pop
Label: Apple
"Abbey Road" is the 11th studio album released by the English rock band The Beatles. It is their last recorded album, although "Let It Be" was the last album released before the band's dissolution in 1970.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
Abbey Road Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The Beatles, one of my all-time favorite bands, have too many excellent albums to pick a clear favorite, but Abbey Road is definately up there with the best of them. They recreated the sound of rock and roll with their revolutionary sounds and songs, and Abbey Road, along with other records, influenced generations of musicians and music fans. Although Let It Be was the last Beatles album to be released, Abbey Road was the last recorded, and you can tell that they put their troubles behind them to make a beautiful, inspiring masterpice where every song is just as superb as the next. // 10

Lyrics: As always, John, Paul, and George crafted beautiful poetry to go along with their heartfelt instrumentals. Songs such as Something (Harrison), Come Together (Lennon), and Golden Slumbers (McCartney) demonstrate just how talented the Beatles were in the songwriting department. Paul, John, George, and even Ringo (who sings "Octopus's Garden) sound great. They all have great vocal range, especially Paul, and they definately hold tune very well. // 10

Overall Impression: Abbey Road is among the greatest albums of alltime, so needless to say, it is better than most albums ever made. All the songs stand out and it is one of my favorite albums of all time. Do yourself a favor and pick thhis one up if you don't already have it. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: revolution, on march 04, 2004

Sound: Brilliant. The sound of the album is mesmeric, with the music, brilliant lyrics and good singing blending together to make the difinitive rock album. The guitar solos are exactly right, and when a piano or someother instrament is needed, its right in there. The erie sound to Because shows the creativity of the Beatles, along with the wittyness of Her Majesty. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go from entertaining (Maxwells slver hammer) to enthralling (Because) to light hearted (Here comes the sun) and then serious (Sun King). John Lennon and Paul McCartney are in fine form here, with George Harrision not far behind and even Ringo has a good song on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: An album for the ages, without a doubt. The songs sound as good today as 35 years ago. Its hard to pick definite best songs of the album ,but some of my favourties are Come Together with its excellent bass line and hard hitting chorus. The ending the album is excellent, with the last 5/6 songs all running into one another beautiful through guitar solos and orchestral scores. This album is a must for any fan of rock n roll, it has set the standard for every album following it. The only bad thing is the song Something is slightly overdone, theres a better version on Anthology 3 but other than the songs are done well. The Beatles go out on top with this one. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: Beker18, on march 05, 2004

Sound: Unbelievable, probably the Beatles album with the best overall songs. Great guitar work in this with some of the best solos by George. I Want You/She So Heavy is the longest song ever recorded by the Beatles and has great guitar work. Caps off the greatest sounding Beatles music on there last ever recorded album (2nd last to be released). // 10

Lyrics: Great written music. The Beatles were the best song writters period and this album you see George flurish with Here Comes The Sun And Something. John's Come Together is still one of the greatest Rock n Roll songs, as well Paul really has come creative genious with Golden Slumbers/ Carry That Weight/ The End. As well probably one of Ringo's best lyrical songs Octopus's Garden. // 10

Overall Impression: A must have album for all Rock Fans. Believed by many to be the best ever Beatles album. All the songs flow very well, and there are no bad songs on it. Truly a work of art! // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on march 15, 2004

Sound: While this isn't my favorite of the Beatles CDs (that award goes to the amazingly brilliant Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band), it's definitely my second-favorite and has some elements I wish Sgt. Pepper's had had. Namely: a serious look at the world- while Sgt. Pepper's was clearly written during a very drug-induced period, Abbey Road is more clear and focused and I can personally "relate" to the music better. Although the music is mostly rock, some songs branch off in different directions (Something, Because), but mostly stay true to the rock formula, while still keeping you interested. Some songs just make you go "What the #*^%?" (Sun King), but are just weird enough to be cool. I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just one of the greatest songs ever written. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are, for lack of a better word, ...random. Songs like "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" are so strange they're good. It's typical Beatles stuff, not as flat-out deranged as anything on Sgt. Pepper's but not as concrete as anything on Rubber Soul. // 8

Overall Impression: Having only heard four Beatles albums, I'd have to say this is almost on par with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but that album is BARELY better. The two are very different and hard to compare though, so draw your own conclusions. All the songs here are amazing, and I hate absolutely nothing about it. If it was lost or stolen I'd buy it again without a second thought. If you're gonna buy your first Beatles album, this is definitely a good place to start. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: Bonscott4ever, on october 11, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is just like the rest of The Beatles later stuff, raw, loud, with a great combination of clean tones and distorted guitars. They weren't to experimental on this album as say the white album, probably due to the fact that they all hated each other and wanted to be done with it and get on with their careers after the infamous "Let It Be" sessions with producer Phill Spector. This album is a true credit to The Beatles genius. Theres not much that can compare with it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from the modern genius of McCartney to the silly off the wall lyric of Lennon to the the sweet and beautiful ballads of "something" by Harrison. The lyrics on this album is like butter. Everything thing on this album should be viewed as a jem. Their vocals are amazing, pitches have never been tigher on anyother album. It's a shame that this had to be the last album made by them but it was a hell of a high note. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is one of three all time great Beatles albums ever. The only two other album to compare to it are Sgt. Peppers and the famous White Album. Nothing in recent years has come out anywhere close to the quality of this album. If it got scratched, stolen, shot at, anything that could damage this treasure I would buy it in a heartbeat, regaurdless of price. If you're unfamiliar with the Beatles and want a good album to start on I would highly recommend this album. Even if you have been listen to them for a while but are to lazy to buy it. Do it now or monkeys will eat your souls. Bottom line: here is this is a really good album. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: orange_juice, on april 06, 2007

Sound: Some albums are designed to be gapless, and some are divided between songs. Abbey Road does both. Side A has some great material worthy of being singles, like "Come Together", "Something", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", and "Octopus's Garden". Side B seems to all meld together, similar to Pink Floyd's "The Wall". The recording of this album was very "happy" in the sense that all four members of the Beatles knew it would be their last album, and wanted to make it say "Goodbye" in the best way as they could. // 10

Lyrics: This is not the #1 Beatles album lyricaly, but it is right up there. The songs "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" are related lyricaly. Mr. Mustard is mentioned in the lyrics of "Polythene Pam". The lyrics in "Come Together" are related to the Paul-Is-Dead theory. For example; "One and one and one is three" could symbolize the three remaining Beatles. A song with great lyrics is "Here Comes The Sun". This song is packed with symbolism, which is an ingredient for great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the last recorded Beatles album. At the time, all the Beatles members were furious with each other after the disasterous "Get Back" sessions. This is my favourite Beatles album, and my favourite album out of any artist. The thing I like about this album is that there is no filler music, just great songs. All of The Beatles' albums are like this, but I feel shis one in particular has a special shine. What better song to end Side A but "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"? If I lost Abbey Road, I would buy it again right away. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: cliffjumper451, on january 12, 2009

Sound: Abbey Road is definitely the best sounding Beatles album, from I Want You to Octopus's Garden you will experience an excellent range of excellent music and you will not be disappointed. While some songs may get boring, the other tracks far make up for it. This is an album you can listen to over and over again and not be disappointed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are wonderful and quirky, from the upbeat song about a medical student who kills his girlfriend, teacher and a judge (Maxwell's Silver Hammer), to the seven minute song with a simple message (I Want You), this albums lyrics are just like any other Beatles album, wonderful and creative. Lennon and McCarthy did an excellent job with this album, it's lyrics are hardly comparable to any other. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the Beatles. This is their best selling album. It will leave you wanting more. This is definitely an album you will not regret buying and is worth every penny! On one last note, I would like to dedicate this album to Paul Cole, and if you don't know who Paul Cole is, then take a closer look at the cover of this album. Paul is the man in the upper right hand corner next to the police car. Just a tourist standing outside one day, he noticed the Beatles waling across the street: "I just happened to look up, and I saw those guys walking across the street like a line of ducks, a bunch of kooks, I called them, because they were rather radical-looking at that time. You didn't walk around in London barefoot." Paul died Feburary 13, 2008. // 10

Abbey Road Reviewed by: crono110, on april 02, 2010

Sound: The first characteristic I noticed about Abbey Road's overall sound is the prominence of the bass in many of the songs. The best bass riffs are observed with the albums opening two songs, Come Together and Something. While it is unfair to say that the guitar on these tracks is underwhelming, they are outshined by the bass which really stands out as the backbone of the songs. Unlike most songs, the bass in Come Together is really the focus, playing the melody, while guitar is relegated to an erratic rhythmic position. On Come Together, the guitar is more prominent, and there is even a guitar solo, but the bass is still what is most easily heard throughout the track, minus a few guitar fills. While the bass work on the album is not quite as technical as some of the other songs and albums by the Beatles, Paul McCartney does a great job showing off his ability to write catchy and exciting bass lines. The guitar work on both Octopus's garden and Here Comes the Sun while not the most technical, is extremely catchy. Both songs are very guitar orientated, full of lots off varying riffs and fills. One aspect of Here Comes the Sun's guitar that really stands out is the imagery it creates in the listener's mind. The combination of the acoustic guitar and the mix between finger picking and strumming creates a very powerful organic sounding melody. The strongest guitar on the album, both technically and quality wise is found in The End. The solo is probably the best solo in a Beatles song, very up beat and varied. It is composed of three very distinct sections, each played by George, Paul and John in that order. This arrangement does a really good job of showing off each of their distinct styles. George's section is full of triplets, Paul's with bends and John's section is rhythmic. Another place where the guitar shines is on the tracks Polythene Pam and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window. There is a very upbeat acoustic strumming pattern on both of these tracks that sounds just amazing. As with most Beatles albums, the drumming on Abbey Road is pretty basic. While it may not be the most technically demanding drumming however, it does get the job done and sounds good doing so. The one huge exception to this is the drumming on The End. There is a really outstanding drum solo a short way into the song, and it is the only true drum solo in the entire catalogue. This alone makes the song worth listening to if just for its uniqueness. One thing that I really enjoyed about Abbey Road's sound is the variety of instruments used in its recording. If you listen closely, there are many instruments you can hear besides the obvious bass, guitar, and drums. A string section can be heard supporting the main instruments on a good portion of the album. The work of the strings is best appreciated throughout the B-side medley, where it really carries some of the less guitar oriented songs. Additionally, brass instruments play minor roles on Maxwell's Silver Hammer (tuba), Golden Slumbers (horns) and Carry That Weight (horns). A musical aspect that is unappealing on Abbey Road is the synthesizer. It is only heavily used on one track however, Because, and it does a good job of creating a bizarre (though unappealing) sound. That said, the synthesizer is used to create one of the album's coolest sound effects of the entire album on Here Comes the Sun. The synthesizer is utilized to make a birdsong like effect in the background, which really adds to the sunny feeling and lyrical meaning of the track. Another effect I really like is the crickets used at the beginning of Sun King. While the effect is fairly short lived, I feel it does a really good job of setting up the relaxed ambient atmosphere maintained by the rest of the song. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics is that they are a very odd mix. A few of the songs are very nonsensical and abstract, while a good chunk of them are easily relatable and catchy. The two songs with the most bizarre lyrics are Mean Mr. Mustard and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. While both songs are very catchy musically, it is hard to take either track seriously when they are singing about a grumpy old man named Mustard who lives on a park bench and a boy named Maxwell who goes around killing people by hitting them on the head with a hammer. My favourite track lyrically is Octopus's Garden. It is a very nonsensical song, but it utilizes a lot of good imagery and really lets the listener envision what the underwater garden would look like. The vocals on Abbey Road are dominated by Paul McCartney. McCartney sings lead on eight of the albums seventeen tracks and harmonies on the other nine. He really stands out over John, George and Ringo. Paul really shows off his vocal abilities throughout the album. Songs that show his range particularly well are Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End. As for the tone of his voice, his performance on You Never Give Me Your Money is incredible and is the vocal highlight of the album. An interesting vocal effect is also utilized on the tracks Because and Sun King. Both songs are sung as three part harmonies by John, Paul and George, and then were overdubbed two times to create a really cool 9 person chorus effect. // 7

Overall Impression: The songs that really stand out on Abbey Road are Here Comes the Sun, You Never Give Me Your Money, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End. What I love about this album is the great variety between its songs. There is an excellent balance between the number of faster paced songs as well as softer, slow tempo songs spaced throughout the album. One of the album's greatest attributes is the B Side medley. I really like how all the unfinished half songs were combined to form a powerful medley. However there is one major grievance I have with the album, the second side must be listened to as a full medley to achieve its full effect. Due to the nature of the songs this is understandable, but it would be nice to listen to Polythene Pam or She Came in Through the Bathroom Window without having them start or stop abruptly. I feel that as this is an album review however, and these songs were meant to be listened to as a single continuous piece, this pitfall can be forgiven. In my opinion, Abbey Road has the best flow from song to song than any other album I have ever listened to, and the effect created by this flow leads to the overall impression of the album being better than the sum of its parts. I would definitely recommend that you purchase Abbey Road if you are at all interested, or at least give it a listen. // 9

Abbey Road Reviewed by: gabipe15, on november 26, 2012

Sound: "Abbey Road" is a classic one, Beatles best? Not sure. Sounds great all the way! A little darker on "Come Together", and very heavy on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"! Love that song. Something is instant classic with Harrison's solo at its best. Oh! Darling has Paul's voice breaking like never heard before, great job. "Here Comes The Sun" is a great song too, nice guitars. "Because" gets the sound a little darker again, with amazing vocal skills, and strange chord progressions through the song, love that one. you'll listen Bluesy stuff, Hard Rock Stuff, Jazzy sounds, then it gets on a streak till the end, magical stuff great Beatles! I didn't expected it the first time I listened, it moves from one song to another as if they're the same one and concludes with everyones solo, even Ringo's! Amazing Album! I give it a 9 because there are a few childish songs for me. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are nothing special, like the combination of words chosen in come together! Classy! "Here come old flat top He come groovin' up slowly He got joo joo eyeballs" I like the way he sings it its awesome. I like She's so Heavy lyrics too, they match the music perfectly! You feel like you want her! I WANT YOUUUUU! It's like that, try jamming with it, great stuff.The rest of the lyrics is mehhh but vocal skills impress. Backing singers do it perfectly making some vocal arrangements amazing, try listening "Because" you'll see why. John, Paul and George have great vocal skills, classic voice you cannot forget them, and Ringo gets a 10 for his effort! Gets a 10 for skills and arrangements, and a 4 for lyrics, they just don't mean anything special to me, and are silly sometimes. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't think you can compare this one to anything youve listened. It has some bluesy kind of sound, then some of the psychedelic Beatles stuff, then gets rock n' rolling, don't know exactly how you can compare it to another stuff, you'd have to separate every song, and then you'd actually see that everything you compare came before this album! This one is the first of them in so many things, come on! "Come Together" inspired so many people, I guess I'd give it a shot that its kinda rapper. Imagine Lennon Rapping! I'd choose "Come Together", "I Want You She'd So Heavy" and "Something" as the best songs. "Because" and "Here Comes The Sun" deserve serious listening too. I love the album, everything about it, I'd only take "Maxwell's" and "Octupus's" out of it, the rest is superb, and by superb I mean a perfect 10! If stolen, it'd break my soul, I'll immediately buy one again. // 10

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 9.6 05/29/2012