Let It Be Review

beatles: Let It Be
Released: May 8, 1970
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop, Rock & Roll, Pop/Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Album Rock
The only Beatles album to occasion negative, even hostile reviews, there are few other rock records as controversial as Let It Be.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
Let It Be Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on may 18, 2005

Sound: This album finds the Beatles leaving the psychadelic themes of Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in order to return to thier raw, rock and roll roots. Songs such as One After 909 and I've Got A Feeling really show that The Beatles never forgot the days of The Cavern. This album really leaves behind the studio effects and experimentation for a more conservative sound. The Beatles did however bring in Billy Preston to play on many of the songs which was a great choice seeing as how he is an amazing keyboardist. // 10

Lyrics: The most outstanding song on this album would have to be the title. Let It Be is a song with beautiful lyrics accopanied by great work on the piano; one of McCartney's finest songs in the later years. Another song that really stands out is Across The Universe. This song still echos with the mystical lyrics we were used to hearing in the Sgt. Pepper days, but without all the fancy music to accompany it. This is a simpler song is guitar based with some minor orchestral accompaniment to make it stand out more. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is great for those of you who favor the Beatles earlier works, but also has some songs for those who loved the days of Sgt. Pepper. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definately replace it. // 8

Let It Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: The band's sound was magnificant, much like every other album. The sound is great in my mind because most of it is live. It was either recorded live, or recorded when performed on the rooftop concert at abbey road. Live music in my mind is the best kind os music, because there are no machines, so synthesisers, no computers, just raw music. Nothing let me down on this peice. I even own the dvd. Another thing id like to share is the song dig it. Its a wonderful peice of music. people dont veiw it that way because they are ignorant and only have heard the very short portion on the cd and judge just off of that. But no, there is a whole song, aas seenon the dvd. It is so awsome because you see the beatles just sitting in the recording studio, just jamming. that is all this song is, raw jamming. John is sitting the, just making up words, george on guitar, paul on bass, ringo drummin', and a friend of there's on organ. They are just playing like they used to in the late '50s and early '60s when they were just starting out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Just like any other album, they really know how to speak they're mind. I really think george did a great job on this album with his I me mine, and for you blue. He is such an awsome artist that is soo underrated. The DVD also showed that the beatles werent fighting at this time as much as eveyone says. There is no arguments between any one. You can actually see that they like to compromise between the mjusic, lyrics, and how everything fits in. John and Paul even have a very goodconnecion on the song two of us. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not there finest work of art, but it's hard to be when you're up against Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, and others. The most impressive song by john is Across The Universe, Paul is let it be, and George is I me mine. Unfortunelty Ringo didnt write or sing any of the songs on this album. I loved every thing. I don't hate anything at all, I just wish they put more of Dig it into the album, instead of that little clip, so people can hear and aprriciate it more. I would definetly replace the CD or DVD if lost, I also think this is a must buy CD, and for the Beatles' fan a must buy DVD. // 10

Let It Be Reviewed by: crono110, on april 02, 2010

Sound: The original idea behind the album Let It Be was for the Beatles to return to their roots. This meant creating songs and playing them together as a group instead of incorporating the wide range of strange instruments and studio effects that had dominated their previous three albums, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour and The Beatles (The White Album). The back to basics attitude is prominently featured on a majority of Let It Be's tracks. The sound of the album is very grassroots rock & roll, similar to many 1950's bands and even the earlier work of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles themselves. Though most of the album is composed to fit into this one theme, there is still a great variety to be found between tracks. The most common style present on the album is a basic 12 bar blues. While most people may think this style is very old fashioned and would not stand the test of time, the Beatles know how to get it right and they really show how versatile the 12 bar blues can be. While six of the twelve tracks found on the album are played in this style, the Beatles really mix it up there is very little similarity between them outside how guitar oriented they all seem to be. A prime example of this is the song Get Back. Most of the song is a very simple shuffle pattern, but the little bit of lead guitar played over top and the two solos really make the track come alive. In addition to the back to basics songs, three songs stand out as being odd additions to Let It Be. In a sharp contrast to the rest of the albums songs, Across the Universe, The Long and Winding Road and the titular Let It Be stand out as being virtually impossible to be played by John, Paul, George and Ringo as initially planned. Instead, they are filled with overdubs and symphonic instruments or missing bass. The overdubs in Across the Universe almost completely ruin the song in my opinion. I really like the acoustic guitar present, but all the strange sounds playing along side it really detract from the lyrics and make it incredibly hard to focus on actually listening to the song, adding little more than a good way to get a headache. The orchestral segment in The Long and Winding Road however are much more appealing. It truly is a beautiful sounding song and the string sections do a really good job of bringing out the emotional dimension of the track. My only gripe with the song is that it sounds out of place with the other songs on the album and probably should have been released as a single instead. In the same vein is Let It Be. While it is a very good sounding song with great piano playing by Paul, it seems very out of place with the rest of the album. The best sounding track on the album is easily I Me Mine. The verses sound great, played in a slower waltz like style. The chorus is what really stands out though, combining a driving riff full of power chords with a subtle but important keyboard riff playing alongside. Another important characteristic of the album's sound is the keyboard playing of Billy Preston. Although the keyboard never really takes a leading role on the album, it plays an integral role in the harmony sections in most of the tracks, and is definitely something original that helps Let It Be stand out from the rest of the Beatles' catalogue. My last thought on the music of Let It Be concerns the songs Dig It and Maggie Mae. All I really have to say is that they are terrible. They have the same overall sound as the back to basics songs like I've Got a Feeling and Get Back, but are highly unpolished. They sound like they are just extremely rough takes with almost no effort put into playing (which they are) and really don't deserve a spot on the album. // 8

Lyrics: Let It Be's lyrics are really hard to give an overall rating for. This is because a few of the songs have some of the best lyrics in the entire Beatles catalog, while others are utter trash. With this in mind, I've decided to highlight the two songs with the best and worst lyrics. Let It Be: the lyrics in Let It Be while very simple are also very powerful. It is a song that simply demands your attention whenever it is played. The song is about the singer facing a troubled time in his life, and how he is calmed and reassured that better things are to come by a vision he has of Mother Mary. She tells him that everything will work itself out if he will just let it be. I think that the reason the lyrics to this song are so compelling is that the message portrayed is one that everyone can relate to. Everyone has been in a position where they fell backed against a wall and their situation is hopeless, and this song provides a sense of comfort, and can lift spirits. Dig It: the lyrics to this song are complete and utter rubbish. All the lyrics are is the repetition of the words dig it with a bunch of total gibberish randomly dispersed throughout. It is very disappointing to see such an obvious lack of effort in the lyrical content of this track, especially when John Lennon is so well known for his song writing genius. // 7

Overall Impression: What I really like about Let It Be is that there is a really high ratio of great songs to average and bad ones. In my opinion, the songs that everyone should feel the need to listen to are Let It Be, Get Back, I Me Mine and I've Got a Feeling. However, Let It Be is an album whose success heavily depends on it's congruency with the simple and clean musical style it was intended to portray. A large portion of Let it Be does follow this back to basics attitude, but there are three songs that deviate from this old school sound making them seem slightly out of tune with the rest of the album. In addition to this incongruency between songs, the tracks Dig It and Maggie May do a good job of bringing down the overall quality of an otherwise great album. As a result, I feel that the album suffers overall, and is not as good as the sum of its parts. // 7

Let It Be Reviewed by: Trunx, on august 10, 2006

Sound: This is the last album published by the Beatles. At the point this album was done Abbey Road was being made, but anyway Let It Be was published later for some reason. Let It Be sounds like a really forced album, it doesn't sound like the members are having a good time making the music. Anyway Let It Be has a few great songs and overall it sounds great. The music styles used on this album are basically rock and two rock ballads. One of the songs, One After 909, was actually written several years before, but it was discarded until Let It Be, because it was quite hard. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good, but one song, called Dig It, is very strange. Here's a sample of lyrics: Like a rolling stone, Like the FBI and the CIA and the BBC and BB King, and Doris Day, Matt Busby. Originally the song continued for over 9 minutes, but it was cut to 50 seconds. Another song, Maggie Mae, is also odd. It tells about a Maggie Mae, who is a robber. Maggie Mae is also very short. Also listen to Paul McCartney's great Get Back singing. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive song is The Long And Winding Road. It is one of the two beautiful ballads by Paul McCartney. The other one is Let It Be. I love the fact that about half of the songs on this album are really good, and the other half are quite bad, or at least I don't like them. I probably would get this album again if I'd lose it etc. If you like the Beatles you must get this album, if you don't then this album is maybe not for you. // 9

Let It Be Reviewed by: Mr. Saboteur, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Many critics are correct in saying that "Let It Be" was their worst produced album, but there are many positives to come out of here. There are three chart topping songs (Get Back, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road) on this album. The mood throughout this album is a somber one which tries to pick itself up with upbeat numbers like Two of Us, Get Back, For You Blue. If these songs were more polished like in "Let It Be... Naked", this album would be one of their finest. // 9

Lyrics: Two songs that stand out lyrically are the euphoric poetry by John in Across The Universe and the "words of wisdom" by Paul in Let It Be. Otherwise, lyrically, this album does not stand out as a strong album. Forced thoughts were put into many of these songs because of the pressure of the "Get Back" movie and not arguing amongst themselves, which never makes for perfect music. // 8

Overall Impression: Thankfully, The Beatles did create "Abbey Road" after this record, because this would be a sour note to go off on. Besides that, some of my favorite songs are on here (I've Got a Feeling, Get Back, Two of Us, Across the Universe). Even a disappointing album of The Beatles is still note worthy and competitive with any other albums of their time. This album is worth owning because we can actually hear/feel the emotion that The Beatles had enough of being The Beatles, and stands as a great piece of history. // 9

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012