Please Please Me Review

beatles: Please Please Me
Release Date: Mar 22, 1963
Label: Capitol
Genres: Pop, Rock & Roll, British Invasion, Merseybeat, Pop/Rock
Once "Please Please Me" rocketed to number one, the Beatles rushed to deliver a debut album, bashing out Please Please Me in a day.
 8.4
 7.8
Please Please Me Reviewed by: LedDaveZeppelin, on february 14, 2008

Sound: Please Please Me! This debut album is what started it all for The Beatles. Paul starts off the album with a "1-2-3-4" which leads right into the first song, "I Saw Her Standing There". You can literally feel the energy of the music when this first song starts. "Twist and Shout" (orgianlly written by Phil Medley and Bert Russell) and "I Saw Her Standing There" are definitely the two songs that stand out the most when I think about this album. Both of these songs are just packed full of energy and have that good old rock n' roll feel. The songs on this album were pretty simple. The guitars were mostly being strummed, but Harrison does throw a nice guitar solo in some songs. Lennon being rhythm guitar player also took part in playing the harmonica in the songs "Please Please Me" and "Love Me Do", which really gave those songs a distinct Beatles sound. Ringo kept the drums rather simple but certainly did his job by keeping a steady beat for the band. The Beatles covered quite a few songs on this album; Twist and Shout, A Taste of Honey, Baby It's You, Boys, Chains And Anna (Go To Him). The Beatles really put their own twist on all these song, and made them their own. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics on this album were great. Most songs focusing on love. Whether it be from losing love, missing love or wanting love. The music and the lyrics all fit in really nice together. The majority of the Beatles orginal songs were written by Lennon and McCartney. John and Paul also did most of the singing on this album as well. They were both really good singers and both sounded great together. Personally I think all the Beatles had very good singing skills. George mostly sang back up vocals but he did sing the lead vocals in "Do You Want to Know a Secret". George really did a terrific job on these vocals, and in my opinion should have sung more lead vocals. Ringo Starr got some time in the spotlight singing lead vocals in the cover song "Boys". Ringo definitely has a much different sound to his voice compared to the rest of the Beatles but nevertheless did a magnificent job singing. I think Ringo has a good voice despite what a lot of other people think. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this was a beautifully constructed album. It's certainly not my favorite Beatles album but it's definitely a must have for any and all Beatle fans. Though the Beatles sound really changed throughout the years this is where it all started. I'd definitely buy the album again if it were ever lost or stolen. // 9

Please Please Me Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on september 21, 2009

Sound: 10 of the 14 tracks on this album were recorded in just over 9 hours, it was nothing short of throwing an album together, but still, they did a great job. As raw and vibrant as a Beatles album will get, it still amazes me just how well they made the album in such a short space of time. The sound quality isn't anything spectacular, but what do you expect from something made in 1963? However, the new remastered version sounds a lot more full and has slightly better quality. // 7

Lyrics: All four Beatles sing on this album, Ringo sings lead in ''Boys'', George sings lead in ''Do You Want To Know A Secret'' and John and Paul do the rest. Paul does a fine job on all of his songs, including ''I Saw Her Standing There'', ''A Taste of Honey'' and ''P.S. I Love You. John sings ''Anna (Go To Him)'', ''Baby it's You'' and, probably one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded, ''Twist and Shout''. John and Paul powerfully sing in harmony for a lot of the songs, notably ''Love Me Do'' and ''There's a Place''. The lyrics and singing are excellent on this album, 10 out of 10. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't live up to the other Beatles albums later on in their career, but it is still a great listen. 14 fine songs squeezed into a half-hour album. The three most impressive songs are ''I Saw Her Standing There'', ''Love Me Do'' and ''Twist and Shout''. I love this album because it is just a good mood from start to finish, great listening yet incredibly raw. I thought there was only one let down on the album, ''A Taste of Honey'', it's sounds like it was just thrown on to make the album longer. If I lost this album, I would be down at the record store the next day buying it again. Definately a must-have for Beatles fans. // 8

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012