Revolver Review

artist: beatles date: 08/23/2011 category: compact discs
beatles: Revolver
Released: Aug 5, 1966
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop, British Invasion, Psychedelic, Pop/Rock, British Psychedelia, Rock & Roll
Even after Sgt. Pepper, Revolver stands as the ultimate modern pop album and it's still as emulated as it was upon its original release.
 9.7
 9.9
 9.5
Revolver Reviewed by: paintITblack39, on november 19, 2005

Sound: Revolver, my favorite Beatles' album and many others, too. The best track in there is Tomorrow Never Knows. An amazing song, and probably the first psychadelic rock song. One thing I love about this album is the contribution from George Harrison. His guitar work and his songwriting skills. Hell, he also sang in there. Including the fact that Love to You and Taxman are possibly the best songs in there. Love To You is a great song because the beatles show that Rock n Roll doesn't need a guitar to make a song good. George Harrison pulls off his sitar and sang. If you listen to the song, you can tell thats a hard feat to complete. How can you also forget the great Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby. Eleanor Rigby also showed that you don't need to play a guitar in every song. Yellow Submarine showed us the Ringo has a good voice. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone but Ringo wrote in the album. Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison. Also, all the Beatles sang in the entire album and everyone had a brilliant voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Revolver previewed George Harrison's successful solo career. Oh yeah, George Harrison had the most successful career out of all the Beatles. The most impressive songs in the album were Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, Love To You, and Tomorrow Never Knows. Probably the greatest Beatles songs belong in this album. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: beatles_rock09, on march 27, 2006

Sound: The Beatles' music on this album is some of the best. Revolver is the height of music itself. The album starts out with Harrison's "Taxman." A great song about how much more taxes the Beatles had to pay than most people. There are other great songs on this album. The ballad "Eleanor Rigby" is a sad song about a old, lonley woman. Some of my favorites include "I'm Only Sleeping," "Good Day Sunshine" and "Got To Get You Into My Life." There are many kinds of sounds on this album, and the Beatles make them flow to sound great. // 10

Lyrics: John and Paul were and are still some of the best lyrics writers ever. I personally don't think anyone can match with John's lyricall genius. George can actully write lyrics, too. "Love You To" is a great song with great lyrics that George wrote. The Beatles wrote some of the most influential songs and some of them are on this album. "For No One" is an example of a lyricall genuis song. I love the lyrics on "Revolver" and most songs today can't compete with the songs the Beatles wrote many years ago. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally feel that "Revolver" is the best Beatles album ever. They wrote the most timeless songs, and the ones on "Revolver" are definatly going to be remembered forever with the others. "Revolver" is the height of pop music. No album can come close to what the Beatles did with this album. They raised the bar when they released "Revolver" and so far, no one has been able to reach it. The mucial genuis is there, and it's too bad that the Beatles can't be here today to keep on raising the bar for musical quality. "Revolver" is immortal. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: JuniorMints, on august 23, 2011

Sound: If you'll allow me, I would like to gush. This album has always been my favorite album of The Beatles, and quite frankly, of all time. "Sgt. Pepper's" is always considered their magnum opus, but without "Revolver", "Pepper" wouldn't have happened. This is The Beatles at their creative peak, musically and lyrically. Each song sound different from the last, and there are nearly no flaws what'soever. From the beautifully sardonic "Taxman", to the sweet melody of "Here, There And Everywhere", and to the LSD trip caught on tape in "Tomorrow Never Knows", this album is a work of musical art. // 10

Lyrics: Each one of The Beatles got their spotlight on this album, John has "Tomorrow Never Knows", Paul has "Here, There And Everywhere", and George has "I Want To Tell You". I leave out Ringo, not because I don't think he's talented (I think he's the best drummer of all time), but because he didn't write on this album, he just sang. Even "Yellow Submarine" however, adds to the beauty of "Revolver". Each song is a treasure. I know I say that a lot, but this time it's most relevant. I'm so glad that George got to open an album, and whata a way to do it. "Taxman" is almost punk rock 15 years before punk even existed. Each phrase of each song is woven into melodies that are just as brilliant, provided by the greatest band of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: "Revolver" is the peak. It sets us up for the masterpiece to come after it, and we enjoy every minute. "Revolver" is The Beatles saying to the world, "No more 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', kids". This was the album that they became artists. And what a way to show the world what they could do. I could honestly write a book about how much I love "Revolver", and why it's the greatest work The Beatles ever issued, but, I'll just settle with this. Bravo, lads. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2005

Sound: To all of you little nu-punks or what ever the hell you call yourselfs: this is the greatest album ever made. To listen to it is to have your body fulfilled in every single way imaginable. It is sounds answer to an orgasm. Before this album, The Beatles were nice lads who wrote great pop tunes, after this album, music forever was changed. The Beatles were responsible for a new generation of music, everything before it was tuning up. Who would have thought that a pop band would have a mixture of rock, pop, classical, indian, psychadelic, children's playground song and have pretty much all of them about drugs! It was unheard of and truely god-like. Not that I'm overpraising them or anything. // 10

Lyrics: 'Wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door' pretty much sums it up. Lyrics about drug-dealers to lyrics about yellow submarines to lyrics about the taxman is but an inkling of the mystical and delightful variety. Most importantly the lyrics compliment the music prefectly. The ballad 'For No One' is simply heart-wrentching and slightly sinister: a prefect blend. (Singing expectedly superb). // 10

Overall Impression: Many feel that Sgt. Pepper's is The Beatles greatest achievement but without Revolver, Sgt. Pepper or any other psychadelic or sophisticated pop? Rock album afterwards wouldn't exist. Every song is prefect and they work together as an album as well. I have already bought 20 copies lest the dreaded would happen that I lost it. Buy it. Broaden your mind. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: This album is the greatest piece of work in rock history by a band that's name is praised. This of course is Revolver of the Beatles. This peice is the turning point in rock history. The sound is magnificant, it displays how versitile the beatles were in there music at this time. It showed that they could play western philosiphy inspired (Love You Too), slow, meaningful ballads (For No One), and still play music that is much alike of the roots (She Said). With also throwing in a few songs that a revolution in music themselves, such as tomorow never knows, Elenor Rigby (which was the first tune that the Beatles didn't play a single instrument on), and Got To Get You Into My Life (the first time the beatles used a band with instruments like the trumpet, saxiphone, the trombone, etc). This album also brought on new sounds that were never heard before anywhere, such as playing playing tapes backwards in tomorow never knows and I'm only sleeping, and you can hear the first distortion in the making from the tune taxman. This album definetly has one of the best sounds, if not the best ever displayed by musicians. I also want to share that it is in my opinion that the Beatles made this great music because they were dine touring. When they toured, they would record their stuff in such a little time. Rubber Soul was recorded in just 12 hours! But when they called it quits for touring, they had tons of time on they're hands, and also, since they didn't have to perform it, they could make it as complex as they wanted. You can see that because over the next few years, much of their music was much to complex to perform. So touring was not a bad move, it was actually a very good one, otherwise there wouldnt be Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, I Am The Walrus, and Yellow Submarine the soundtrack. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. It seems like some songs have lyrics that people can relate too, but some are very sophisticated and people dont understand the true meaning of it, but can relate to it in their own life. Such as taxman, I'm sure people relate to them on how much of a pain taxes can be and tax collectors as well, but songs like Elenor Rigby have are about drugs and people that the Beatles know, but people can relate to it by seeing Elenor Rigby as themselves or a person they know. The singin is great. John and Paul are definetly the masters of a 2 part harmony in the rock world, and George definetly makes and awesome sound when he does a 3rd harmony. This also shows how good of singers george and ringo are, and how they have progressed over the years. // 10

Overall Impression: It cannot compare to any other artist, but as to other albums by the Beatles, you can see that the music on Rubber Soul is like a hint of what is coming for the next album, because it displays the techniqes that were going to be used on Revolver. There is nothing to hate that is on Revolver, I don't think it is humanly possible, the only thing that I could hate is that the pause between the songs are too long, because it is sometimes hard to wait those few seconds to hear the next song because of the anticipation of about to listen to each song But other albums that can be considered just as good can be Abbey Road, Sgt Peppers, Led Zepplin IV (4 if it's the wrong roman numeral), and Pink Floyd's The Wall. There maybe a few others, but Revolver is most likely the best out of all of them, and in my mind it is. When I grow up and have enough money, I plan to buy stock just in this single album if that answers the question of wuld I buy it if lost. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: Bonscott4ever, on october 11, 2005

Sound: This is the first album that would allow the Beatles to experiment. Songs like "I'm Only Sleeping," "Love You Too" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are prime examples of them trying new things. Like playing a solo then replaying it backwards when the recorded it. Revolutionary. Not only that but since the release of "Yesterday" and the album "Rubber Soul" they could finally show off their softer side of their writting. In songs like "Elanor Rigby," "For No One" and "Here, There, And Everywhere." // 10

Lyrics: As stated above, the lyrics are diverse on this album. From the soft an tender and mournful "Elanor Rigby," to everyones favorite Beatles sing-a-long song "Yellow Submarine." With the combination of lennons dry delivery on tracks like "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Doctor Robert" and McCartney's poppy, bouncy performance on "Got to get you into my life" gives this album lots of range lyricaly. Also Georges performance on "Love You Too" is so monotone it's creepy and sends shivers up your spine. And he revisits it on the track "I Want To Tell You." A very diverse album lyricaly. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall a good buy for beatles fans. Really prepares you for the later transition that they later take to make the album of all albums Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band. This album is that final psychadelic step they need before the final push. I would buy this album again if anything happened to it. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 24, 2006

Sound: In 1965's "Rubber Soul," The Beatles showed hints at a huge change in their sound, with instruments such as the sitar and dabbling in other styles of music. Well, in 1966, with the release of "Revolver," they proved that the change was complete. An undeniable sense of musical maturity was present throughout the record as they ventured into new genres such as psychadelia and Middle Eastern, sitar-oriented music. This still stands as one of The Beatles' most consistantly brilliant albums, not to mention one of the best of all time. // 10

Lyrics: As usual, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and now George Harrison's lyrics are spectacular. With "Dr. Robert", Lennon makes his first poem that is a blatant reference to drugs, Dr. Robert supposedly being his dealer, with "Elenor Rigby," McCartney writes one of his greatest songs of all time, and Harrison's "Taxman" shows his classic British wit in what sounds like a parody of Batman. All the Beatles, including Ringo, who sings "Yellow Submarine" have distinctive and superb singing voices. These songs were certainly made for their voices. // 10

Overall Impression: "Revolver" is in my top three Beatles albums, so it stands up to their other works without a doubt. The most impressive songs are "Taxman," "Eleanor Rigby," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Love To You," and "For No One." There are no possible critisisms that apply to this album; the sound, musicianship, lyrics, vocals, and production are all consistently flawless, and any fan of music in general must have it. // 10

Revolver Reviewed by: J-Smack, on may 27, 2008

Sound: Revolver is in the latter part of the Beatles transition into their more developed sound (Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, etc.) You can still hear their raw early rock sound, but it's applied to different styles of music. You have standard rock tunes, to strings, to swing, to easy ballads. You can definitely tell that their music is getting to be diverse in styles at this point in their career. I do think that the sound still is a bit primitive (but this is in 1966, and what do I know about the sound in 1966? ) but overall, I absolutely love all of the different styles used. I give this an 8 only because you can still notice much more than a hint of early Beatles on this album, and it seems they should have been past that point when playing these different genres. // 8

Lyrics: Beatles lyrics are always great. No matter what. I'm not being biased here just because of the group; you have ballads like Eleanor Rigby, nice bouncy love songs like Good Day Sunshine, and "fight the power" lyrics like "Tax Man." The lyrics fit the music perfectly, and vocalist choice suits each song. Paul's voice fits this album's style very well, and considering that, he sings on most of the songs. (You even get to hear some George Harrison on "Tax Man." // 10

Overall Impression: At first listen, I thought, oh, great, this sounds like they are still in their stereotypical older days. No, listen carefully; all of the different songs flow so well together, and nearly all of them blew me away. My personal favorites are the classic "Eleanor Rigby," the dreamy "I'm Only Sleeping," the rockin' "She Said, She Said," and three great swingin' love songs: "Good Day Sunshine," "Got to Get You Into My Life," and "I Want to Tell You." The only song I don't like is "Love You Too;" it's just a bit too psychedelic for my taste. Overall, though, a definite 10. // 10

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012