Rubber Soul Review

beatles: Rubber Soul
Released: Dec 3, 1965
Label: Capitol
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop, Rock & Roll, British Invasion, Folk-Rock, Pop/Rock, Singer/Songwriter
Musically,it was a substantial leap forward, with intricate folk-rock arrangements that reflected the increasing influence of Dylan and the Byrds.
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
Rubber Soul Reviewed by: Bonscott4ever, on july 29, 2006

Sound: The Beatles album Rubber Soul is inovative in sound as well as desing. Not only did the Beatles help shape the face of pop music as we know it but the also evolved the Album cover as an art form. And this cover is one of their earlist cover concepts. With their faces streched and disoriented. The sound of this album varies from country and folk, to rock and ballads. One of the biggest inovations it the tape reversal work on "In My Life", with the piano solo. In order to get it to sound like a baroque period composition they used tape reversal to get it right. There was nothing the Beatles wouldn't try to do. // 10

Lyrics: Lennon and McCartney do what they do best. Writing really good song that anyone can listen to. Whether its the Bob Dylan influenced Norwegian Wood (Lennon) a song writen about one of his affairs. To the Melodic ballad Michelle (McCartney) that has a beautiful mixture of acoustic and electric guitar work. And the very reflective and deep "In My Life". Harrison does a fine job on his contributions to the album with If I Needed Someone and Think For Yourself. The music to each of these songs fits well with their appropriate context and lyrics. All's good on this one. // 10

Overall Impression: So much has been said about the Beatles and their catalouge of work that it really seems irrelavent that I'm even writing this but I am anyway. Pre Revolver and Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul was one of their best albums of the time, And in my opinion it still is one of there best. The Best songs on this album are pretty much all of them, the only one I don't particullarly like is "What Goes On", everything Else is good. If I lost it I would buy it again. Just so I have a cd copy with me always. // 10

Rubber Soul Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on november 26, 2005

Sound: The Beatles were one of the greatest rock groups for a reason, and one of the main reasons was because of the great, almost magical melodies that they would come up with. This album is jam packed with great melodies and harmonies. The music is simple, and that's the way it should be. The music is very catchy. It's very happy-go-lucky. It's melancholy at times. It's beautiful. It's not hard rock at all. The guitars are barely distorted. This album draws its life from catchy melodies over simple yet appropriate guitar parts. This album was released way back in 1965. During this time, the influences of groups like the Byrds as well as Dylan were strong. However, this album was more dynamic than that. It didn't really fit the folk rock sound of the time. It is more of a classic rock album. The album has various sounds, but is overall a light, pop rock masterpiece. As far as innovation goes, this album rose above all the inluential music of 1965 (Dylan, The Byrds, James Brown, The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc) and set the standard for all rock music to come after it. Overall, the album has more of a rock sound than the Beatles earlier hits (I Want To Hold Your Hand, Love Me Do, etc) but isn't quite at the psychadelic stages of the late '60s. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is a materpiece. Lennon and McCartney really hit it off well. They wrote great pop rock songs, such classics as Drive My Car and You Won't See Me. However, more forward-thinking thinking compositions can be heard in "Nowhere Man" and "I'm Looking Through You." They show a great knack for writing deeper songs. The lyrics fit the mood of the music perfectly. Actually the music fits the lyrical theme perfectly. As far as the singing is executed, McCartney and Lennon do the honors quite well to say the least. Three part harmonies are sung beautifully on many occasions. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has more of a rock feel than the Beatle's previous, lovey dovey releases. However, this album hasn't shown the psychadelic sounds yet either. My personal Favorites are "Drive My Car" and "In My Life." Those are the songs that impress me the most, although almost every song is groundbreaking and impressive. I really don't hate anything about the album, and I love the vocal harmonies the best. It's something that can't be done better than by the Beatles. If I lost this, I would definitely buy it again. Do yourself a favor and get this album, no matter what knid of music you like. // 9

Rubber Soul Reviewed by: lennon9dylan, on june 29, 2005

Sound: The first Beatles album to start differing from their original pop sound, Rubber Soul could be considered a Part One To Revolver (their next album). They play several styles such as folk, rock, and pop. Also, this is the first album in which John, Paul, George, and Ringo took over the studio and experimented with their sound. From twangy and jangling guitar and banging piano on "Drive My Car," "You Won't See Me," and "The Word," to mystic sitar on "Norwegian Wood," to a French sound on "Michelle," Rubber Soul covers a lot (yet it remains undeniably the Beatles sound). Also, they display a country sound on "What Goes On," an almost tribal driving acoustic sound on "Run For Your Life," and a softer more beautiful sound on "In My Life." Yet, above all, Rubber Soul captures the quintessential mid-Beatles sound: flawless harmonies, melodic guitar, and steady rhythm (best on "Nowhere Man"). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Rubber Soul are best described as a work in progress. Heavily influenced by Bob Dylan at the time, the Beatles parted from the silly lyrics of before, but were still honing their skills. They are not especially poetic or visual and do not voice a political cause. However, "Norwegian Wood" has lyrics that set its mood well, "Nowhere Man" makes you take a look at yourself, and "The Word" promotes "love." The one exception is "In My Life" whose simple yet beautiful and poetic lyrics set it apart from the rest. The lyrics throughout Rubber Soul flow well with the music and do not hinder only help the mood of the songs. The singing, like on all Beatles records, is possibly their strongest attribute. Paul is possibly the best singer in rock music and shows it here. John is up there too, with his raw and very expressive voice. George, though weaker, is underrated, and even Ringo is a solid singer. Together they produce harmonies that send shivers down my spine. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Rubber Soul is one of the best albums by possibly the best rock band in history. Though not quite as masterful as future albums (Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, etc.) it hints at where the Beatles were headed. The best songs are "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)", "Nowhere Man," "In My Life," and "Run For Your Life," but they all hold their own. In Rubber Soul I love the experimentation that occured (somewhat by the introduction of drugs), the more advanced lyrics, and always brilliant melodies and harmonies. If stolen or lost, my copy of Rubber Soul would definitely be replaced, and if you don't own it I highly recommend it to you. // 10

Rubber Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2006

Sound: The sound on Rubber Soul was not bad, but not good either. I'm glad that they remastered all the sound on CD, because the sound on the LP is mediocre. Rubber Soul was, I think, on of the Beatles top 5 greatest albums, the songs are really good and The Beatles really grew from melodic pop to a little more serious rock on this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome! What else could be better? The Beatles are argubly the best lyricists in the last 100 years. The way the lyircs mesh with the music on Norweigan Wood are amazing, the soothing guitar and simple and beautiful lyrics are appealing to everyone. Both Lennon and McCartney really came through in all areas on lyric writing and singing on this album! // 10

Overall Impression: Rubber Soul is no Abbey Road or Hard Day's Night, but it certainly is up there! My favourite songs on the album are probably "Drive My Car" or "In My Life." I love the cover on the album too, I'm not sure but, I'm partial to covers with pictures of the band. If someone jacked this CD from me, I'd of course buy it back, but not without blasting the person(s) who jacked it from me. // 10

Rubber Soul Reviewed by: Pencil Man, on january 12, 2009

Sound: This album has a very folky feel, much different than their previous works. Much of the album has an acoustic base with flowing, poppy melodies. The thumping Beatle sound is present, but this time in a CCR-like package. Even the electric guitar songs flow like the water in a forest stream. By all means, it does not sound like CCR, but it does sound like what would happen if the Beatles wanted to sit down and really think about their music, and less about who they were writing it for. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics sang in this album range from relationships, to loneliness, to thoughts of the government. a lot of the lyrics are obviously fillers, including the entirety of What Goes On, but the rest are very deep and senstive. The singing is superb, with harmonies rapping around the words like ribbons. The melodies are better than the lyrics themselves. // 7

Overall Impression: I love this album. It shows the evolution of one of the best bands in the world. I could listen to it in it's entirety, or a few songs at a time. If I lost it, I would buy it again. Rubber Soul shows what was going on at the time, and, depending on what's going on in your life, it'll make you feel better. // 8

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012