Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Review

beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Released: Jun 1, 1967
Genre: Rock, Psychedelic Rock
Label: Parlophone, Capitol
Everything about this album is influential and it is truly one of the greatest albums ever to be recorded.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2008

Sound: From the grinding guitar on "Sgt. Pepper" to the melancholy strings on "She's Leaving Home" to the eastern instruments on "Within You Without You" Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is filled with new sounds that just beg to be listened to. This album was recorded at the height of the Beatles experimentation, they had just finished their work on Revolver and used the new techniques they were experimenting with on that album to their full effects on Sgt. Pepper. Overall the sound on this album is like nothing ever heard before, they took Revolver and with Sgt. Pepper they perfected the sounds they were looking for. You have everything for Rock, Psychedellic, Eastern and even some Carnival music added in for good taste in this album, it really defined the sound the Beatles were looking for and ended up perfecting in their latter albums. // 10

Lyrics: The whole concept of this album was for the Beatles to not be the Beatles. They took on the alias Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, thus the title song and it's reprise and Billy Shear's in "With A Little Help From My Friends" (Yea Billy Shears is Ringo). By not being the Beatles on this album it allowed John, Paul and George to be free and write and play whatever they had wanted to. This create lyrically superb songs like "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." It was inspired by a picture John Lennon's son Julian brought home from school about his friend Lucy. Probably some LSD too but Lennon always denied it. Then you have "Fixin a Hole" a McCartney track that is filled with psychedellic lyrics. "Getting Better", "When I'm 64" and "Lovely Rita" are some of Paul's more typical songs. "When I'm 64" kind of pales in comparison to the other tracks on this album unfortunatly, it's a really good song but it kind of falls out of place on this album. "She's Leaving Home" another McCartney track presents a rather sad situation about life not going as planned. It shows that Paul doesn't only write happy songs, think "Long and Winding Road". Then you have "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" a song that was written by John who was insired by a 1860s carnival Poster, that just goes to show how he could take anything and make it into an amazing song. The album finishes off with some of my favorite songs, you have the Lennon penned "Good Morning, Good Morning" which reminds me of an average day to say the least. Then the reprise and one of my all time favorite songs "A Day In The Life" This song is actually two songs in one. Lennon wrote the beginning and the end and Paul wrote the middle. Paul's part was an unfinished song he was working on and they decided to stick in in between John's two halves seperated by a 24 bar orchestra crecesndo in E. To even begin to think of how they thought of it gives me a headache. Amazing is one word I like to used when thinking of the lyrics in this album. Even George had "Within You Without You" a song he wrote influenced heavily by eastern concepts and music. The music was recorded in India by George and Jeff Lynne (who he later played with in the Traveling Wilburys and who also produced the two new Beatles singles, ELO and the vocals were recorded at Abbey Road during the Pepper sessions. As amazing of lyricist's that the Beatles were they also proved that they could sing just as good as they could write. Even Ringo pitched in to sing "With a Little Help From My Friends". You have to love Ringo haha, all the Beatles vocals fit their songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this album, everything about it is influential and it is truely one of the greatest albums ever to be recorded. But is it the best Beatles album? Rubber Soul and on will all recieve 10's from me so it's kind of hard, while Sgt. Pepper deserves all praise it gets Rubber Soul marked the Beatles departure from radio friendly pop music to more lyrically and muscially sophisticated music. Revolver took it one step further, as did Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles (White Album), Let it Be (it was recorded before Abbey Road but released afterwards) and ultimatley Abbey Road. I keep Magical Mystery Tour with Sgt. Pepper since most of the songs were suppossed to be on Pepper anyways. But to sum it all up, this album is amazing and a must for any person who enjoys music at any level. But it's just scratching the surface on the Beatles, check out all their albums, from Please Please Me to Let It Be their is a certain aura surrounding all of the Beatles work, and once you start your hooked, so enjoy! // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2007

Sound: Anything from the Beatles is going to sound good but in my opinion this is there best album. This is probably the most innivative album in history. Early stereo uses, overdubbing, tape loops, sound effecs and a psychedelic feel contribute to the innovation of this album. This album has a lot of different sounds. Some songs have a rock sound to them some have a pop sound, however I would say that most songs have a psychedelic feel to them. If I had to give a genral sound to the album I would say psychedelic rock. One thing I really like about the sound of this album is all the instrements. They have a full band on Sgt. Peppers, harps and a string section on She's Leaving home, a band on Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, sitars and a string section on Within you and Without You, a band on Good Morning Good Mornig, Sgt. Peppers Reprise and A Day In the life. // 10

Lyrics: Good lyrics as always with The Beatles. Very poetic. there are also songs that are psychedelic that have interesting lyrics that are hard to follow like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Fixing a Hole. John Lennon has a very distinct voice of ok quality. I like his voice because I like John Lennon but I suppose he dos'nt have a tecnicly good voice. Paul McCartney has a good quality voice with a wide rage. He's a good singer. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is the best album of all time. Extremely innovative, good sound, just the best album ever. I love everthing about this album. 01. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - good song, sounds rock, I like the horn section on this track. Has good distorted guitar. 02. With A Little Help From My Freinds - I like this song alot. This song has my favorite bass line of all time. Has an aawesome sort drum solo. Lennon, McCartney and Harrison have good quality voices on this track. 03. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Ok song. I like the bass line and Lennons voice. 04. Getting Better - I really like the vocals on this song from Lennon and McCartney. There's also some Indian Instrument on this that I like, I don't remember what it's called. 05. Fixing A Hole - very psychedelic. Weird sound effects and lyrics. I really like the bass line and guitar solo. 06. She's Leaving Home - really different song. Has harps and a string section. I like the vocals and the lyrics. 07. Within You Without You - really different song. There a bunch of indian instruments like a sitar and another string instument and drums plus a string section. very unique indian sounding song. 08. When I'm 64 - good song. I like the lyrics and the Clarinet. 09. Lovely Rita - my favorite song of all time. awesome drum solo, good vocal and bass line. Awesome guitar and piano solo. I also like it because it has a really psychedelic end with unique bass and sound effecs. 10. Good Morning Good Morning - good guitar solo and band. Kind of a borring song. 11. Sgt. Peppers Reprise - again kind of boring. 12. A Day In The Life - one of my favorites. I like the rhythm guitar and the band. I also like Lennons voice. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: Kill em all89, on february 16, 2004

Sound: This is a really good album! Everything sounded good on it especially the song a day in the life with the orchestra and things it made it really high pitched. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were really good because John Lennon and Paul Mcartney even George Harrison wrote the songs. The lyrics were very good with the music. John lennon and Paul mcartney sang very well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorite albums. What I was most impressed about it was everything because the Beatles are musical geniuses. I love everything about this album. If this was lost or stolen I would definetly buy another one and it is worth it. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is excellent. The sitar by George Harrison on "Within You Without You" plus there is alot of orchestrial stuff on here too which was really creative for back then. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are defenitly different than all of the other Beatles albums. Not to much sung about love which I like. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is very interesting because the initials are "LSD" and you can tell in the lyrics that, that is what is about a "LSD" trip. Great lyrics overall. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of The Beatles best albums. It is alot different from all the others personally I like "Abbey Road" more but this one is right behind it. The best songs on here are "Sgt. Peppers," "Within You Without You" and one of The Beatles best "A Day In The Life." Well is an overall review. 01. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - great guitar work 5/5. 02. With A Little Help From My Friends - OK song 3/5. 03. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - song about a LSD trip 5/5. 04. Getting Better - fun lyrics 5/5. 05. Fixing A Hole - OK 3/5. 06. Shes Leaving Home - OK 3/5. 07. Being For The Benifiet Of Mr. Kite - OK 3/5. 08. Within You Without You- my all time favorite Beatles song 10/5. 09. When I'm 64 - fun song 4/5. 10. Lovely Rita - OK 3/5. 11. Good Morning Good Morning - OK 3/5. 12. Sgt. Peppers (Reprise) - not as good as the first 3/5. 13. A Day In The Life - a Beatles classic excellent song 10/5. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2006

Sound: What can be said about the most influential rock record in the history of ever? The sound on this album is very experimental, and very positive and fun sounding all the way through. Brass bands, orchestras, mellotrons and the like are all employed to give this album it's musical feel. It also contains the greatest orchestral buildup ever. // 10

Lyrics: The Beatles' melodies are always great, and they all shine on this record. The lyrics range from fun 'Getting Better' to introspective 'Within You Without You' to just plain genius 'A Day In The Life'. John Lennon and Paul McCartney's vocal skills are excellent throughout, and Ringo proves he can sing on 'With A Little Help From My Friends.' // 10

Overall Impression: It is the most influential record ever, the album that most people think of when they think of the Summer of Love, and one of the many jewels in the Beatles' crown (along with The White Album, Revolver, and Abbey Road). It contains their greatest ever song 'A Day In The Life', their best album opener 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', and their best indian song 'Within You Without You'. The only track I could possibly put to fault is 'She's Leaving Home' but, all of the tracks here are of an awesome standard. This record still floors me today. Imagine what it was like in '67. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: rock_and_blues, on february 28, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD is amazing. This was my first Beatles album and turned me into a complete Beatlemaniac. This album is filled with experimentation and creativeness, you can almost feel that sory of sense when you listen to it. The songs are incredible. This was the Beatles concept album where they played as members of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. There's about 5-7 seconds of silence before the music starts then it kicks off with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." This instantly drew me in because of the guitat in it and the fact that it seemed live. The 2nd track, "With A Little Help From My Friends", is sung by Ringo and is probably the catchiest tune on the whole album. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" gives so much imagery that you feel like your there. It's one of their best songs on the album, and one of the best in the Beatles catalog. "Getting Better" is an average song, theres nothing special about it, but it's not bad. "She's Leaving Home" is, in my opinon, the worst song on here. I never liked it, but it dosen't take anything away from the rest of the album. "For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" is extremely weird, with a circus-esque atmosphere aurronded around the song. "Within You, Wtihout You" is the best song on the whole album. It is an Indian song in which George Harrison plays sitar, it's so far out and awesome. I cannot say enough good things about it. "When I'm 64" is good, catchy and simple. Probably the two most straight forward songs on the album are "Lovely Rita" and "Good Morning, Good Morning." They're both really great songs that I feel get overshadowed alot. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" is kind of like the band wrapping up, it's faster and has a more rocking beat than the first but it's only one minute and eighteen seconds long. "A Day In The Life Of.." wraps up the album and leaves you feeling awe-struck. the orchestral arrangement in the middle is great. // 10

Lyrics: Like everything else on the album the lyricss are phenominal. I constantly look to this album for inspiration on songwriting. Lennon and McCartney are the greatest songwriters in rock histroy. Period. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is this: awesome. There's no other word for it. If you don't want so much experimentation and craziness in your songs I would suggest "Let It Be" or any album before "Sgt. Pepper's" because this album set the Beatles in the middle of the psychedellic movement. Overall, this is the greatest album of all time of any genre. The Beatles are the best. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: beatles_rock09, on march 18, 2006

Sound: I love this album. Not because it's a Beales album, but because it's so innovative. It must've takes a couple creative minds to come up with this album. The sound of this album is hard to describe because there are so many sounds on it. You got the opening "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band" and then you get the later "When I'm Sixty-Four." Two totally different sounding songs on the same album. I really do love the sounds on this album. The album sucessfully gives you a taste of rock, pop, psychedelic, and Eastern genres. The Beatles give a great sound for this album. // 9

Lyrics: The Beatles are known for having espically great lyrisc. John and Paul are lyricall geniuses. George can do a good job with lyrics too. "Within You Without You" is an example of George's greay lyrical skills. I love listening to the lyrics of "Within You Without You" because not only do the lyrics match perfectly with the music, but the lyrics make you think. You get involved with listening. John is great here too. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is a great, great song. Again, the lyrics matches perfectly with the music. The Beatles pull it off again and write some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. // 9

Overall Impression: "Sgt. Pepper's" is one of my favorite Beatles albums. In fact, it was my first album of theirs. My favorite songs would have to be "Within You Without You", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", and "A Day In The Life". The Beatles are excptionally great song writers and are able to make this album perfect in every sense. Lyrically a masterpiece, musically stupendous, this album blows me away. I'll be listening to this over and over again. This album is a must for anyone looking for something great to listen to. // 9

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: Viva-la-mark, on july 09, 2007

Sound: This was the first Beatles album I heard, and it completely blew me away. There is a huge array of sounds, ranging from radio friendly pop songs like "With a little help from my friends", to spacey, trippy stuff like "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds". There are instruments you rarely hear which boats these guys creativity. // 10

Lyrics: All four of them sing, which I think is impressive. There are songs which appear to be rambling nonsence i.e. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite", but on second look, they make more sence. Lucy In the Sky seeming to be about tripping on LSD, and "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" which was apparently inspired by a poster John had seen. "Within You, Without You" was wrote by George, and has no input by his fellow band mates. The lyrics generally fit all the songs very well, and they aren't all about the same thing, which is good. // 10

Overall Impression: The best thing about this album for me, is the many sounds on this album. It takes you to places from Carnivals (Benefit of Mr. Kite) to India (Within You Without You). However, I feel the album gets weaker towards the end, with songs like "Lovely Rita" and "When I'm Sixty Four" not appealing to me as much as the others. My personal faveroute's off this album are "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite". This album is classic, I recommend all music lovers to get this album. // 9

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: Madvillain_Me, on june 20, 2008

Sound: The sound in Sgt. Pepper is one molded from the different ideas brought up by the innovators in the group, Lennon and McCartney. There is moments in the album that make you wonder how was that sound created? It was an evolution of sounds, from "Revolver" to Sgt. Pepper's their sounds changed. From the first song on the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band" to the last song, the timeless classic "A Day in the Life" the album's sound kept changing, always on the move. The Beatles added just about anything they could, all the sounds molded into what we hear. The bass, the drums, and the guitars were present, but so where the other instruments used, especially the mind-warping "Within you, Without You" by George Harrison, the absence of any instrument that we know made the song better! What song can you compare that will rival "A Day in the Life"? Lennon's best song ever, one of the Beatles highest achievements, etc etc. The soft voice of Lennon, McCartney's great contribution with his poppy verse, and who can forget the orchestra crescendo? The Beatles crafted a sound imitated, washed-and-made-to-look-new sound, and amazing sound, that influenced musicians up to this day! // 10

Lyrics: Lennon and McCartney wrote stories, witty lines, and in the case of "A Day in the Life" Lennon wrote about tragedies. The lyrics on the album are great, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" a great song, with imaginative lyrics. Who else but Lennon could create lyrics like "Climb in the back, with your head the clouds and you're gone". McCartney's playful lyrics on "Getting Better" "Me used to be angry young men, me hiding me head in the sand". And the deep, and great lyrics of Harrison "We were talking about the space between us all" from "Within You Without You". Most of the songs have catchy lyrics, and good rhythm, especially the closing song, "A Day in the Life" "I read the news today oh boy, about a lucky man who made the grade, and though the news was rather sad, well I just had to laugh, I saw the photograph". The best lyrics come from the last song, but all the lyrics in all of the songs are great. // 10

Overall Impression: Sgt. Pepper has been called by many the greatest Beatles album, and it can very well be. It's an album that has everything that The Beatles are famous for, sound, innovation, lyrics, and talent. Best songs from the album for me are, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" "With a Little Help from my Friends" "Getting Better" "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "A Day in the Life". The sound is what I like about the album, it's nice to hear, and very creative. There isn't anything wrong with Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion. This was my first Beatles record, if it was stolen I would buy it, if I lost it I would buy it, if it can't play I would buy it, if my friend hasn't returned it for more than a month I would buy it, it's just that good. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: cliffjumper451, on december 04, 2008

Sound: The Beatles have been called the best band of all time. They have sold more albums than any other artist, and this album is one of the reasons why. The album starts off with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which basically tells you what you are going to experience in this album; upbeat pop/rock music that just makes you want to sing along. The album continues with several other great tracks including: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Getting Better, and Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! Overall, this album is one of the best sounding albums of all time and you will not regret listening to it. // 10

Lyrics: This lyrics in this album are extremely creative and clever. Lennon and McCartney are probably the greatest song writers of all time and their work does not fall short in this album. From beginning to end the lyrics of this album are creative and wonderful, and The Beatles do an excellent job of singing them. // 9

Overall Impression: This album probably the best album of The Beatles (it is tied with Abbey Road) and it is extremely great to listen to over and over again. // 10

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviewed by: Ausbrett23, on may 29, 2012

Sound: Out of all the Beatles CD's that I have and have listened to this is the best. First off, let me start by saying that the Beatles are my favorite band. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is my favorite CD by the Beatles because it's the CD with the most distorted songs and the CD with the most meaningful songs. Not trying to say anything bad about "Magical Mystery Tour" but it's the way it looks to me. This is the CD that inspired me to become a successful lead guitarist in a band. This CD not only inspired me to become a lead guitarist but it also inspired me to become a successful song writer. I'm not there yet but someday I wish to be. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very moving to me because I can actually understand what they mean. For example, when I listened to "A Day In The Life" I completely understood what John Lennon was trying to express. Also "With A Little Help From My Friends," sure the title gives away the meaning of the song but there was a completely different life lesson behind it. Ringo Starr meant that even when you're down or getting past a hard time, you'll always have a friend to help you in your time of need. John Lennon's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," I have no clue what that song was about but I know that it was based off of a meaningful painting John created. George Harrison's lyrics in "Within You, Without You," those were meant to be touching lyrics but I don't know many people who actually understood the lesson from that song. What I'm trying to say is every song on this album has a very important life lesson hidden in the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The music shown on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" doesn't exactly relate to other albums by other artists but it comes close to comparison with Abbey Road. The most impressive songs to me are "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Repraise)" and "A Day In The Life." I say this because they go together in a medley. The same thing goes for "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With A Little Help From My Friends." They go together in a medley too. If this album were to be stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again. // 10

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012