The Beatles 1 Review

artist: beatles date: 04/02/2007 category: compact discs
beatles: The Beatles 1
Release Date: Nov 14, 2000
Label: Apple/Capitol
Genres: Pop, Rock & Roll, British Invasion, Psychedelic, Merseybeat, Pop/Rock, Folk-Rock, British Psychedelia, Album Rock, Singer/Songwriter
This is the pop monument equivalent of the '27 Yankees and '90s Bulls; it's every bit as obvious and dominating and just as essential.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.2
 9.4
 8.9
The Beatles 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2006

Sound: The reason I decided to review this record is because it's the first collection of Beatles songs I heard. And I didn't buy it. It was my dad's and he isn't a true Beatles fan like me. He says he just appreciates them and what they did for music. But ever since I heard Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Peppers I was hooked. So in between MMT and my purchase of Sgt. Peppers I decided to go back and listen to this record again just because I was in the mood for some Beatles. So I really enjoyed it even though a lot of people bash it. They have to realize that this is good for what it is. It's a number 1 hits record. It is what it is and says, so don't complain and say, wheres Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, where's Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In The Life, or I Am The Walrus? Sorry they were never number 1 hits. So I'm going to say once again, this is good for what it is, so dont go expecting more. Just expect all their number 1 mainstream hits. And if you can accept that then you will enjoy it. So I will warn you: don't buy this album unless you want all their hits on 1 album. Simple as that. // 10

Lyrics: Words can't describe how great a team John and Paul are, or were. They were incredible, each creating something of their own and making it as memorable and enjoyable as the next. I personally, for some reason, prefer Lennon's writing and singing over Paul's. He's just so unique in every way. But together they are great. Not only are they in the most influential band ever, but they are probably the most influential writers of all time, and are the best team ever. Enough said. // 10

Overall Impression: Don't expect to get the full Beatles effect from getting this. It's impossible you need to buy every record to do that. So with that I can't really recommend this to anyone unless they are not a big Beatles fan and are only looking to get their number 1 hits. What I suggest you do is start collecting all of their albums. That is what I'm going to do, because over the course of a few weeks I've become a huge Beatles fan. A great thing about this CD though is that the songs are so short that it leaves you wanting more so you may easily be going back and just listening to it over and over. Or atleast your favorite songs over and over. And sometimes my favorites change. Like a few days ago my favorites were, "She Loves You" and "Yesterday." And today they are "Ticket To Ride" and "Something." And some other favorites of mine are, "Eleanor Rigby," "Hey Jude," "I Feel Fine," "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "The Ballad Of John And Yoko." All are great though. // 10

The Beatles 1 Reviewed by: srv73, on april 02, 2007

Sound: This album is a compilation of 27 number one singles. The CD goes through these songs chronlogically of when they were released and intelligently portrays a good portion of the beatles career. It's a good album to give to someone who's never listened to the Beatles, because it gives a taste of their entire career, versus just their early work or their later work. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics become more complex and more developed along with the music as you go through the CD. Their early work is very early rock and roll sounding with simple lyrics and choruses. The later songs are structered more intricately, and the lyrics reflect that. The vocals are always good throughout the album, but the band pushes themselves to their musical limits towards the end of the album. In their later work they really had developed a unique sound and their voices were better than ever. // 9

Overall Impression: This album does not at all compare to their other albums. To fully get a feel for the Beatles, listen to all of their work, not just a greatest hits type CD. The song that impresses me most on this album is definitely "Hey Jude," a song written for Julian Lennon while his father John Lennon and his mother Cynthia Lennon were getting a divorce. Paul McCartney's vocals are great on this song, and the message of the song is an inspiring one. // 9

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012