The Beatles (White Album) Review

artist: beatles date: 08/25/2010 category: compact discs
beatles: The Beatles (White Album)
Released: Nov 22, 1968
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop, Psychedelic, Pop/Rock, British Psychedelia, Rock & Roll, Baroque Pop, Singer/Songwriter, Hard Rock, Album Rock, Folk-Rock
None of it sounds like it was meant to share album space together, but somehow The Beatles creates its own style and sound through its mess.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 8.8
The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: beatles_rock09, on february 28, 2006

Sound: First of all, let it be made clear that I love The Beatles. But their sound in this album, to me, was a little overwhelming at first. I wasn't sure of what to make of it. I guess you can call it a revolution. Granted, some people will say "Oh, this is the best Beatles album ever!" But I don't necessarily agree. This is a great album, but the general sound takes a little getting used to. I only liked a few sounds to begin with. Only later on did I begin to appreciate the other songs. Songs like "Dear Prudence" I didn't used to like but is now one of my faovrites. Another odd song with a (really) odd sound is "Revolution 9." You have to have a good tolerence for weirdness to enjoy this song. All in all though, I feel that this album is one of the Beatles best and the sound is generally good throughout the whole of it. // 9

Lyrics: John Lennon is one of the greatest lyrics witers ever. I mean, who else could've written "Glass Onion" but him? I espically love the lyric "She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand like a lizard on a window pane." Granted, I have no idea what it means, but damnded if it isn't good. Paul too can really write lyrics. I really do love "Blackbird" and his lyrics for that song. "Take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise." John and Paul pull it off again to make this album a lyrical masterpiece. // 9

Overall Impression: The White Album, I feel, doesn't compare to the earlier "Revolver" album but it's still one of my favorites. The Beatles were musical geniuses and it's a shame that they aren't still around today. The White Album has a lot of strange songs ("Revolution 9," "Honey Pie") but it manages to make the songs flow like they belong, and make it sound good too. I have nothing to complain about for this album. It's a classic and a must for any Beatles fan wanting to complete their collection. // 9

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: Snuffles, on may 14, 2007

Sound: This album is great. It has a nice calming sound but also has a lot of beat to it. It opens with Back In The USSR which has a nice catchy tune to it. But the fith song (Wild Honey Pie) is just sucks, also, revolution 9 was a test song. I don't even know why it's on the CD. Anyways they both have crap lyrics and it's really annoying but besides those two songs, this CD is the best. There are 30 songs, perfect for lying back and relaxing. Personally I think Disk 1 is better then Disk 2. But I geuss it's a personal thing. But I think this album is the best Beatles album made. // 9

Lyrics: On the Beatles White Album, the lyrics are great. They are catchy flow great and they make sense. Ecept for Wild oney Pie and revolution 9 they just suck, they take some getting used to though. Some of the lyrics are funny, like Bungalow Bill. The beatles can really make a masterpeice but can also make it addicting to listen to. The lyrics to every song are good and you can hear every word. It's amazing how they think up such great lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: The best part of the album is the fact that it's long, great to listen to and as an overall a great masterpeice. But if it were up to me, I'd take out Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9. Out of all there albums this is probely there best, they were at there best when they wrote it. The best songs in the album are Back In The USSR, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Birthday, Sexie Sindy, Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey and Hapiness Is A Warm Gun. If I ever lost these CDs I'd search every store in Canada to find another one. It's just that good. // 9

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: Mr. Saboteur, on october 10, 2006

Sound: Multiple forms of jazz (Martha My Dear, Honey Pie), bluesy chord progressions (Back in the U.S.S.R., Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Birthday, Yer Blues, Revolution 1), acoustic ballads (Blackbird, I Will, Mother Nature's Son), cry baby solos (While My Guitar Gently Weeps), heavy rock (Helter Skelter), this album has it all. This album backed away from it's stimulation of psychadelic anthems and rolly-polly art, and focussed on music which dealt with their individual experiences. Paul created new unique sounds with Blackbird and Helter Skelter. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics don't really have a central theme since there was very little colaboration in the studio, besides Yer Blues. Many metaphoric social criticism concepts through songs like Glass Onion, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Piggies, Revolution 1, Savoy Truffle. There are also many songs playing on individual parody like The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, Rocky Racoon, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey. The Beatles were geniuses with their songwriting to make it appealing. // 10

Overall Impression: What is amazing about The Beatles is how they continued to reinvent themselves, pop and rock music, and still create songs that stay with listeners forever. Though this is one of, if not, the only Beatle albums without a #1 hit, these songs opened up another door of expression for future songwriters. This album must be appreciated for it's uniqueness in comparison to what was coming out at the time. While others were trying to catch up to the innovations of Sgt. Pepper's concept album, The Beatles released The White Album in contrast to their previous 2 albums showing their continuing creativity. A classic album with memorable songs that should be owned by all music lovers. // 10

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: C_Worrall, on august 25, 2010

Sound: The White Album is quite simply the album that marked the true beginning of the end for The Beatles. The death of Epstein and the visit to India had brought individual musical directions to the forefront; Rubber Soul saw this individualism spawn, the White Album saw it take over their whole sound. The individualism on this record mirrors the events that occured during its construction. Cracks were appearing in the Fab Four. Ringo Starr left for Italy during the recording in order to escape the rows and Lennon's growing enfatuation with Yoko Ono angered the rest as it was the catalyst for Lennon's disillusionment with the group. So varied are the sounds of each of the band members that at this point (notably Lennon and McCartney) that it very easy to spot which of them wrote a song credited to both of them. The writing of individual songs was nothing new (again Rubber Soul saw this flourish) but on that and the subsequent 2 albums the different sounds gelled; on this they do not. Paul's music (such as Ob La Di, Ob Lad Da and Rocky Raccoon) hallmarks his solo career, as does the efforts of all the others (notably Harrison's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps"). Quite simply, this album is the soundtrack to a band break-up. // 5

Lyrics: However disjointed the band may have been that this point, the individual and group talent was still very much for all to listen to, in particular the song writing. As each of the four got more personal, so they wrote songs that mattered to them and not necessarily to fit a timescale to release a new album (a fact which I feel lets down a couple of their earlier albums, notably With The Beatles). Lennon's "Julia" and McCartney's "Helter Skelter" are two of the best songs the band ever recorded and so their divisions may have even helped their musical creativity. What's more, "Happiness is a Warm Gun" is the first true sign of John Lennon's breathtaking vocal ability; an ability he would later show off in his first solo album. Having said that, there are some bad eggs in the basket lyrically. I point only to Ob La Di, Ob La Da; that should never have been on any Beatle's album. // 7

Overall Impression: This album (and indeed the band's other works) has always been a great mystery to me; especially in terms of critical approval. Not one Beatle album is labelled as unspectacular by the mainstream press, often for the reaosn that they were innovators and therefore made the 5 of the 10 greatest albums of all time (see the Rolling Stone Top 500 list for reference). However, I dislike the thought of this being why so much of their work is brilliant; being first at something in terms of chronology doesn't make you the best eternally. Despite my reservations over of this critical appraisal, I agree that I love most Beatles albums and always will; but this one is the stark exception. It has good parts, there is no denying that. I particulalrly like Lennon's obviously solo efforts and "Helter Skelter". It is well made, it covers multiple genres in a way no other band had done up until this point and it is the best selling Beatles album in the USA. But I do not like and never will like it for one main (slighly petty) reason; it isn't the Beatles anymore. It's 4 people playing their own stuff and throwing it onto 1 album. A lot of the stuff is good, but listening to the whole thing paints this picture of 4 brilliant men sat in opposite corners of the room writing alone and waiting for the time that they can get away from each other. I confess that Abbey Road and Let it Be were written later on and during more intense personal disagreements; there's just something about the White Album that makes listening to it rather sad. The former two I mentioned have almost a spirit of final unity; a last-gasp attempt at a group piece. This is a myriad of solo efforts disguised as a group work which shows to all the ending of a great musical era and that is the reason I so rarely listen to it. // 4

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: Okay first, The Beatles are definatly under the legandary epic catagory. So most of their stuff rocks but this album has its ups and down. Even though old these guys knew how to rock. Some of the stuff on this CD is a little funky, for instance: Wild Honey Pie (disk 1, track 5) this one has no point in my mind, just weird for weirdness sake. Then again on the plus side, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (by the late but great George Harrison, disk 1, track 8). By the way if any of the tracks are wrong, forgive me I'm deeply sorry. // 8

Lyrics: Singer skills are great. Paul and John are good. But as I stated before there is some weird stuff on this album stuff that seems to be weird for weirdness sake or they were totally stoned when doing it. But in some songs, like While My Guitar Gently Weeps the lyrics are great. Same with Dear Prudence and I personally feel Martha My Dear has good sound to it lyrically but that is just me. But the weird stuff is not so cool. // 6

Overall Impression: This album doesn't thrill me as much as Sgt Pepper but the good songs on it are definatly good. But it isn't the best album The Beatles have done. I love the lyrics and sound on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Martha My Dear, Julia, Back In The USSR, and Glass Onion. I dislike Wild Honey Pie and The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill they're just annoying. // 6

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: uncle_jimmy, on may 09, 2005

Sound: I think that every basic genre of music is covered on this album. That, in itself is pretty innovative. And then there's some songs that seem to have a genre of their own revolution. So a lot of styles are used, each special in their own way. For sound quality, I don't see anything wrong. It all sounds good to me. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are not the absoloute best, but then again I like the lyrics that are all out there and crazy, like in "Strawberry Fields" or "Across The Universe." There isn't too much of that on this album, but some of the lyrics are still beautiful and inspiring. The lyrics/vocals go along fine with the song. And its the Beatles, the vocals in general are always great. // 10

Overall Impression: I belive the is my favorite Beatles album. In my opinion the best songs are: Dear Prudencee, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, I Will, Mother Nature's Son, Everybody's Got Something To Hide, Sexy Sadie, Cry Baby Cry. I know, I know, that's too many, but I actually tried to cut down my list. In my opinion those are just the very best, but almost every other song is great too. I don't love everything on this album, but then again I don't really hate anything either. That's right, I don't even hate Revoluton Number 9. Even if I did hate it it wouldn't matter, everything else on the album makes up for it entirely. If I lost it, I would buy it again, defenitely. In fact, I have the album burned to a CD, and I'm thinking of buying it just to own the real deal(the burned one works fine). That may sound twisted, spending 30 dollars on a CD I own. And it probably is twisted, but what are you gonna do, y'know? Anything else I'd like to share. Well, this album was a part of what inspired me to take up guitar. So was the song Blackbird, which I can now play. // 10

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2006

Sound: If Sgt. Pepper took away your love for the Beatles, the White Album should definetley renew your faith. This album brings back some of the freshness of earlier Beatles records while at the same time keeping the adventureous spirit of Sgt. Pepper alive. Sound wise the White Album is a mixed bag ranging from Pyshcadelic tracks like Glass Onion and Revolution 9 to the acoustic beauty of Blackbird and Dear Prudence. In contrast to the experminental sounds of Sgt. Pepper, the White Album seems very subdued in many cases and doesnt push any boundaries but that makes the album all the more enjoyable. // 8

Lyrics: John and Paul are known as two of the greatest songwriters ever to walk the earth and are in high form on the White Album. Standout lyrical performances on this album include Dear Prudence, Rocky Raccoon, Blackbird, I'm So Tired, and Julia. The album even includes George's classic While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Ringos country inspired Don't Pass Me By. // 10

Overall Impression: The White Album sits firmly in The Beatles catalog as an expression of extreme creativity. Almost every genre of music is represented on it and The Beatles were in high form during its creation. Its main weakness is that it is a double disc and is filled with songs that aren't really needed. I have no doubt that the album offers something for everyone but youll consistently find yourself skipping through lackluster songs to get to the classics. // 9

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: Trunx, on august 08, 2006

Sound: This is the first Beatles album that has almost as many solo songs as songs with the whole band, for example: Paul McCarntey's Blackbird, and John Lennon's Julia, songs. At the time of publishing (1968) the Beatles were coming to a point where they were drifting apart, the solo songs prove that, but the Beatles could still produce fabulous songs for example: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison), Back In The U.S.S.R (Lennon-McCartney) and many more. It is ironic that Ringo Starr, who is called the best drummer ever, was absent when Back In The U.S.S.R was made. IN fact he quit the band for a few days. The music styles vary from rock, to funny little piano songs and to chaotic songs like Helter Skelter and Revolution 9 which actually can't really be called a song. // 10

Lyrics: At this time it also seemde like the Beatles were running out of their great imagination. But some of the songs still have great lyrics, for example the funny song The Continuous Story Of Bungalow Bill. The Skill's of the singers are getting better all the time, and for the first time ever I heard a nice and raunchy vocal/shout Paul McCartney. // 8

Overall Impression: Even though the Beatles were drifting apart and this album has some crappy songs, many still consider this as the Beatles's best album. I think this may not be their best, but it's still really good. I love the fact that this album is actually a double-album and it has 30 songs! But what I don't like is that some of the songs really do suck! Most of the solo songs suck, the only exeption would be Julia, John Lennon's ballad to his late mother. If I would lose this album, I'd definately get this one again, it's so great! // 9

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: Sloopy, on november 06, 2006

Sound: In 1968 the world's biggest band, The Beatles, embarked on the road to create their most ambitous release to date, a self titled double album showcasing each member's own personal talents. It was also the beginning of new technology for Abbey Road studios, although the equipment was only added later in the recording and thus most of the songs are still in traditional Mono style. In this album the Beatles took advantage of extensive sound effects and thus gave the album a very new and psychedelic feeling, a territory that interested John Lennon in paticular. You have everything on this record, blues, pop, rock 'n' roll, and even 1920's music hall style ballads (Honey Pie). Overall this album broke all the rules but still remained a critical and personal success for the Beatles. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are as with most Beatles recordings, all over the place. On one side you have very straight ahead songs mostly written by Paul. And on the other you have often left wing and different lyrical themes usually covered by John. On this album George was very productive and had one song on each side (that's vinyl for all you little kiddies). On most songs the lyrics go very well with the music and you can really hear the gears going inside the Beatles heads as they play along with whoever is singing the words. The spontenuity of the album really gives it charm. Well done boys! // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite Beatles album. I just love the balance of the psychedelica (Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill) and the usually Beatles gems (Goodnight) the blues (Yer Blues) and of course the straightforward rock n roll everyone loves (Revolution 1). Revolution 9 although it may sound weird is one of my favourites on the album, next time you hear it turn of all the lights and close your eyes. it's neat to hear the music without haveing a visual. If someone stole this album I would call on John and George's dead spirits to steal it back and scare the shit out of the dude that stole it. Buy this album, if you are dissappointed, you're a rock. // 10

The Beatles (White Album) Reviewed by: benjidude945, on april 17, 2007

Sound: Ok well first off, the sound on this album is totally different than anything that the Beatles ever did. To say it's sprawling is a total understatement. Every genre is here (rock, blues, country, jazz, even avant-grade) and done very well. There are a boatload of classics bundled in (Back in the USSR, Birthday, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, Revolution, Ob La Di) and some more obscure cuts like the totally awesome Revolution 9 (which, yes, can be enjoyed without drugs), Savoy Truffle (great jazz vibe to it), Sexy Sadie, and the brilliant While My Guitar Gently Weeps. The thing that really hooked me was how ominous the darker songs are and how well-produced and varied it is. Plus the ending of Rev. 9 going into Good Night is shear musical brilliance. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are top notch as always (the agitated protests of Revolution, the soothing lullabies of Good Night and Blackbird) and the John, Paul, George, and Ringo have voices made for any kind of music and it really shows best here. Some confusing lines pop up though (Happiness is a Warm Gun on some parts). // 9

Overall Impression: Certainly of of their top 3 albums. You cannot be a Beatles fan if you don't appreciate their willingness to move forward and not just be a simple brit-pop band. This was their real leap forward that assured that they weren't just the cute little fab four. Shame on the person how gave this a 6.7/10 and bashed Revolution 9. You don't deserve this album's greatness and magnificent level of creativity. An essential for any music listener's library. // 10

More Beatles reviews rating latest review
+ Abbey Road 9.6 11/26/2012