Guero Review

beck: Guero
Released: Mar 29, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Dance
Three years after the critically acclaimed and heartwrenching opus "Sea Change," Beck returns with his most diverse, accomplished and compelling work to date: "Guero."
 Lyrics: 9.2
Guero Reviewed by: fr0zt, on april 08, 2005

Sound: Here's one I wasn't expecting. I found Beck's last few albums to lack compared to Odelay and Mellow Gold, since they were increasingly different sounding. But with this one, he goes back to sounds of slide guitars, great beats and clapping to the beat. I'm very pleased that he has gone back to his old sound. After hearing the all-acoustic Sea Change, I was bored with Beck. Now I can finally say he got back to his artful, dark side. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are Beck's strong point. At first they don't sound like much, but give it a few listens. It's clear that he wants every line and word to sound well crafted, and it works. His writing never becomes stale, but some of the Spanish lyrics might get annoying. His singing is great and is never too over the top, or too boring. For those of you who miss his "Sleeping on the sidewalk with a Burger King crown" lyrics, they're back once again, but still goes to his softer "Sea Change" tone. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is obviously an instant classic. It's great to hear his slide acoustic is in abundance once again. The first 3 songs are stand-outs, but the rest of the album keeps up with these. The only little minor detail that isn't so great is "Hell Yes." I really don't mind that song, but usually I'm not in the mood for it. To close, this album is brilliant. Compared to the garbage that's put out in the mainstream lately, Beck is ignoring it and is off on his own. "E-Pro" is a great song played all over alternative radio, but it's also the simplest song on the album. This an artful masterpiece that shouldn't be passed by. If you're a fan of anything Beck has ever put out, buy this. // 10

Guero Reviewed by: Alex-Carlo, on april 30, 2005

Sound: This album seems to be very experimental. Some songs have a guitar bass and drums but the majority if the songs have a bunch of different insterments in them. I feel that Beck's voice along with his lyerics and the insterments makes a very alternative album. Being "Alt" isn't a bad thing if that is the kind of music you enjoy. This album should apeal to fans from rock, alternative, and even some indie fans might find some apeal in this music. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are strange and quirky I must say. I actually think it makes this album more interesting. All of the songs seem to have a point but I personaly haven't heard the album enough to understand all of them. The lyrics go in perfictly with the music, very alternative. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought the new Beck album because I heard the single E-Pro and I felt that Becks album would be an album that was like the single which I enjoyed. When I bought that album I put it in and lissened to the entire album from start to finish with out doing any thing else except lissening to the album. While the album has its moments when it gets wierd in parts this is an album any fan of music should at least give a listen to. // 8

Guero Reviewed by: purple_pilot, on may 20, 2005

Sound: The music is very diverse taking many ifluences from punk, rock, rap, alternative. You can hear echoes of "Odelay" and "Sea Change," but it still has its own uniqueness. Jack White makes an appearance ont this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, at times random, are very cool. Very rappy but very punky and spunky and fun. Stories. // 10

Overall Impression: The best song on the album to me was E-Pro. I love it because it is so diverse. If this was stolen I'd kick the shit outta the punk who stole it and then steal all his CD's and buy a million more copies of Guero! // 10

Guero Reviewed by: penney5, on february 04, 2006

Sound: The sound relies mainly on bass and the drum beats accompany them perfectly. There is acoustic guitar on the single "girl which is, in my opinion, the best song the music is upbeat, catchy and very pleasing to the ears. e-pro uses electric guitar and has one of the greatest riffs ever. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep and are usually said quickly I the song if you look at the lyrics in the booklet you will see that they are fresh and not downtrodden or stale and are very subtle. The low lyrics suit the generally low bassy sound of the music. Beck is a gret singer and his style is sort of sub-rap. The way that the rhythm is make it seem almost rap which is probably why the Beastie Boys feature on the album with producing. w-Pro contains a sample of a Beastie Boys song. // 9

Overall Impression: It is better than Mutations and Odelay By A Considerable Amount. Beck has taken all his skills and talent and assembled it in a wonderful and amazingly individual way. Beck stands out a mile from a lot of the unsubtle teeny bopper, punk emo, whatever! Crap that is around now. Girl, E-Pro and Black Tambourine are the best songs on the album, Girl: for its great tune and idolising lyrics, E-Pro for its great riff and catchy beat and Black Tambourine for its bassy coolness. Buy it buy it buy it! It is one of the truly great albums of 2005. // 10

Guero Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: Well, it's Beck. If you're reading this article, you most likely already know his sophisticated sound. And this album is no exception. It is a mix of everything he has done in his career, in my opinion. No, it's not as groundbreaking as Odelay, but it's sound is very different and matured than ever before. // 9

Lyrics: Beck would never win American Idol, but then again who cares? Beck just does his own thing and "raps" into his microphone. No, it's not Beastie Boy like rap, but there are times where Beck will just bluntly talk into the microphone. It's so easy to just get caught up in the album and just start singing along, his voice compliments the music better than ever. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a Beck fan. I have four of his albums and they are all very different from each other. "E-Pro" is probably one of my favorite songs on this album, with a verse sounding like the Beastie Boy's single "Whatch'ya Want?" Other stand out tracks include "Girl," "Scarecrow," and "Go It Alone" (which has a guest appearance by Jack White on the bass). If you're a hardcore Beck fan, buy this album, if you're just starting to get into Beck, buy this album! // 10

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014