Mellow Gold Review

artist: beck date: 08/26/2006 category: compact discs
beck: Mellow Gold
Release Date: Mar 1994
Label: DGC
Genres: Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Lo-Fi, Indie Rock, Experimental Rock
By blending boundaries so thoroughly and intoxicatingly, Mellow Gold established a new vein of alternative rock, one that was fueled by ideas instead of attitude.
 8.3
 9.7
 6.9
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Mellow Gold Reviewed by: Strokesofgenius, on august 26, 2006

Sound: Beck's first label album 'Mellow Gold' released in 1994 and made with only 200 bucks!, this CD is entirely out of this world and shoots into another solarsystem! it's like nothing youve ever heard or will hear for the rest of your life. Beck uses mainly acoustic and lap guitars with fingers slides. Beck uses a lot of tamborines in his songs, and through the album there are lots of 'whurrrrrrs' and effects in all of his albums but mostly so in this one, there are so many effects in this album it is funny but they really make the album different to anything else. In most songs there are voice clips from other people mainly kids and women. His first real release 'loser' was a complete sucess and used an acoustic guitar with a slide and a good paced drum beat. The second release 'pay no mind (snoozer) is a slow acoustic number that sounds like an old beatles acoustic song. The third and final release from te album 'beercan' is (in my perspective) the standout track from the album, with a catchy bassline and lots of voice clips, and the backup singer sounds like an old man who had his balls removed. Half way through the song a bunch of kids are saying real random things like 'jumping rainbows", 'a soft and snuggly place' and 'fluffy clouds'. and afterthat there is the chorus and then a 4 second solo with major distortion. On the last track on the album 'blackhole' there is a break and leads on to another song beck calls 'analog odessy' which is the most random song I have ever heard. It is just a 1:45 of whurring noises laser sounds and beeps. // 9

Lyrics: Beck, in my opinion is the best damn songwriter ever. 'spray paint the vegetable dog food store beef cake panty hose' who in the right mind would even reach into that part of thier mind to pull out the most interestingly random songwriting skills ever? The best dam songwriter ever that's who! What I would really like to know is what 'Soy un predador' means and what language it is in (soy un predador being the chorus to 'Loser'). Beck must be either diturbed in the mind or just the most extremely imaginative person in the music bis! // 10

Overall Impression: Mellow Gold is the most different album I've ever heard next to the flaming lips 'At War With the Mystics' no one else in the music bis sounds like beck or vice versa and know one will come as close and so incredibly original as Beck. Beck was influenced by such artists as beastie boys, cars and sonic youth and have influenced such contemporary bands as Gomez and Badly drawn boy. Beck has also worked with such succesfull artists as thom yorke and the flaming lips. What I love about this album is the mass amounts of effects used. The standout tracks for me were 'Loser', 'Beercan' and 'F--king With My Head (Mountain Dew Rock)'. If I lost it or some knob stole it I would buy it again if I hadnt put it on itunes, if not I would go out and buy 'Midnite Vultures'. As Beck first label album this would have played a massive part to his current success. // 10

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014