Midnite Vultures Review

Released: Nov 16, 1999
Label: DGC
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Dance, Indie Rock
Musically, it's filled with wonderful little quirks, but these are undercut by the sneaking suspicion that for all the ingenuity, it's just a hipster joke.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Midnite Vultures Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2005

Sound: Let me start by saying that Beck is difficult to classify because each album he publishes follows a different genre (some albums are similar, but not quite). This is definitely my favorite Beck album. If I had to pick one genre that jumps out at me more than anything else, it'd be funk. But the album is too synthesized to be considered merely funk. There are disco, techno, rock, and alternative elements as well. Another thing to consider is the sheer amount of instruments used. For instance, the most recognised element of the title track, Sexx Laws, would have to be the brass section, but there are heavy banjo and bass elements as well. Some songs jump out at me as make-out songs, like Nicotine & Gravy, as well as my favorite track, Peaches & Cream. There are a lot of songs on other Beck albums where he doesn't sing so much as he raps (Loser in particular), but he sings all over the place on this album; he does low (Nicotine & Gravy), super-high falsetto (Debra, Peaches & Cream, Debra, Mixed Bizness, did I mention Debra? ), and just about everything in between. There's enough layering in this album to turn Trent Reznor green with envy, and listening to this cd in mono is a crime against nature. This album is essentially White Zombie where the influence is a steamy romance movie instead of a weird horror flick, the villains have been replaced with Quincy Jones and his orchestra. // 10

Lyrics: I'm speechless on this one. I'd say the only songwriter as weird as Beck is Rob Zombie, and it shows. Get ready to tease your brain figuring out these lyrics. Most if not all lyrics are out there, but there is some deep sexual inuendo. Some lyrics are just funny. For instance, the last track, Debra, is something else. I don't wanna spoil the song for anyone who hasn't listened to it, but once you hear it, you can't help but laugh. The fact remains that you love weird lyrics or you hate them. I love 'em. // 10

Overall Impression: I consider the holy grail of bizarre albums to be Midnite Vultures by Mr. Hansen and AstroCreep 2000 by White Zombie. Granted, they're pretty far apart concerning the whole music "spectrum" (they just might be opposites), but as far as weird ambient sound effects and innuendo-laden lyrics that make as much sense to the average listener as burning federal oil reserves, the two albums are one in the same. I recommend this album to Rob/White Zombie fans who enjoy dance music as well. I think this is a must-have for Quincy Jones and George Clinton fans. If you like the whole music scene from the '60s and '70s like I do, you may just wanna marry Mr. Hansen (in which case you're too late). And if you truely like this album the way I do, search around for some of Beck's singles from the M.V. era, the non-album tracks are something else (Dirty Dirty from the Mixed Bizness CD Single, for instance). // 10

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014