Modern Guilt Review

9.8
 9.5
review (1) 26 comments vote for this album:
Modern Guilt Reviewed by: bright-eyes, on july 10, 2008

Sound: These days it seems like it's getting harder and harder to find originality in music. Artists are ripping each other off to make a buck and the music industry has become very political. With Beck however, there is always originality to be found. Originality that I have never heard successfully copied. Usually it take a few listens to a new album for me to like it. Not the case with Modern Guilt, I loved it right off the bat. This particular album sticks true to Beck's style and has an awesome, groovy combination of funk, pop, hip hop, and it is very danceable. The whole album is very laid back and in essence retro sounding. It would make great driving music or background music at a chill party. Pretty much anywhere where you just want to relax and throw on some good tunes. I'm not really sure if there is one word you could use to describe it. It fits so many moods and it seems like it has a little bit of everything. In my opinion this album is far more versatile than any of Becks older stuff. It also features more complex guitar parts and solos. The recording itself is very well done. It's mixed perfectly and you can hear each part in the sound spectrum right where it's supposed to be. No, it's no Dark Side of The Moon as far as recording goes but it's definitely a well composed album and with a good pair of cans you hear things you didn't know were there. Overall I'd have to say that this is the best Beck album to date. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this Beck album (as well of all of his other ones) are amazing. Beck writes from a very poetic, metaphorical sense. I think a lot of people (including myself) don't always understand where he is coming from but it's still awesome. With modern guilt the way that the melody and the lyrics correspond with the rest of the music is just awesome. It's so well fit and so chill. Beck is of course an awesome singer. His range isn't all that great but his voice just fits his music so well that nothing else could be put in it's place. This album is a true winner in this category. // 10

Overall Impression: I've never gave an album a 10 before but I believe that this one truly deserves it. Modern Guilt is truly in a class of its own. The only thing I would be able to compare it to is other Beck albums. I love this whole album, it's one of those few that I can listen to without skipping any tracks but if I had to pick 3 songs off of this one they would be Volcano, Modern Guilt, and Gamma Ray. I like the layered complexity of the album and the versatility. There is really nothing that I dislike about the album. I would definitely buy this album again. I'm pretty picky when it comes to music and like I said, I have never gave anything a 10 before. There are some greatest hits completions that could swing it but as far as actual albums go this is the only one IMO. // 10

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014