Odelay Review

beck: Odelay
Release Date: Jun 18, 1996
Label: DGC
Genres: Club/Dance, Singer/ Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Lo-Fi, Indie Rock
Odelay's rich collage of sound may very well prove a prediction of the future.
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
Odelay Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2006

Sound: As soon as you turn this album on your attention is grabbed by the fast paced and catchy riff of 'Devil's Haircut'. Then you listen to the chorus with the simple drum and bass rhythm, and then the harmonica comes in, then the keyboard, and you're only half way through the first song. Beck is a musical genius, there are no words to catergorise his music, he adds so much into something so small. The music to me has a very summery feel, as if you would be listening to this while sitting in a field having a barbecue or something, it has a very positive vibe throughout. // 9

Lyrics: Beck raps mostly and the lyrics and so out of this world that it could take maybe a lifetime to comprehend just a handful of them. "Driving my pig while the bear's taking pictures in the grass" is one of my favourite lines which can be found on 'Hotwax'. Beck has a very original style with his vocal work and lyrics which adds as further proof to the "Beck is a genius" argument I made earlier. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared with other of Beck's album, Odelay has to be the best in my opinion. It has so many different sytles on one disc it could even be seen a 'Greatest Hits' album. Songs that stand out are 'Devil's Haircut', 'Where It's At', 'The New Pollution' and 'Sissyneck', which I think are career defining. I would highly recommend this album to anyone who has ever had any love a crazy, rapping, hippy, musical genius. // 9

Odelay Reviewed by: Mcassidy42, on april 01, 2006

Sound: Beck is a musical genious, and this is his crowning jewel to date. It isn't a thing like his first attempt "Mellow Gold." He went into a more mainstream aproach (but when I say "mainstream" I mean it in the least way possible) it's still odd, but not as much. The sound differs all the way through the album. It's origenal as hell, and its damn good. In other words, it dosn't get much better than this. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics arn't something to write home about, it's the weakest part of the album. But Beck's seamlessly authentic way of making any type of music he's singing to sound like he's been doing it for 100 years is remarkable. Wheather he's rapping to the smooth beat of "Where It's At" or he's soulfully singing his heart out on "Jack-ass" it is all top notch, it's a legend at the pennecle of his career. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opion "Odelay" is one of the top 10 albums ever released. They're are no weak tracks, scratch that, they're are absolutly no songs on the album that are even close to "Average" it is all amazing. If you ever feel the need to skip one track, you don't know good music. It's also very impressive how no tracks sound alike. It's impossible to compare songs, because they all are spectaculer. If it were stolen or lost, of course I would buy it again. // 10

Odelay Reviewed by: larry jones, on september 28, 2006

Sound: Beck Hansen creates a style all his own with this unique album from a very unique artist. Songs like "Devil's Haircut", "Where It's At", and "The New Pollution" display Beck's talent for creating hooks in his songs necessary to sell records. Beck constructs his sound by combining turntables, synths, and his unorthodox guitar playing into one album filled with a new twist on music. // 10

Lyrics: Beck's lyrics are very important to his songs, as he illustrated in his first hit from 1994, "Loser". He continues his lyrical creativity on songs like "Devil's Haircut" and "Jack-Ass". Beck's ability to be different than everyone else amazing, as he separates himself from the mainstream in this instant classic. // 10

Overall Impression: Beck deservingly was awarded a Grammy for best album of the year with this effort, and it's not surprising to see why he got the award. A critic's favorite in everyway, Beck delivers a hit with this 1996 effort. Odelay is an undeniably cool and refreshing album that defines the '90s. // 10

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014