The Banjo Story Review

artist: beck date: 07/26/2006 category: compact discs
Release Date: 1988
Genres: Alternative Rock
The album is largely divided between despairing, guitar-driven blues, bizarre skits, light-hearted banjo jams, such as "Let's Go Moon Some Cars", and "Bottle Of Wine", and stream-of-consciousness talking blues.
 5.8
 3.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Banjo Story Reviewed by: Ely Rosetta, on july 26, 2006

Sound: First off, let me say if you are not a Beck fan, you will not like this album. I say this because the album is comprised of a banjo and a five dollar drum set (AKA bucket, trashcan, coffee container) and the sound does not stand well on its own. What this album in sound does is it divulges a look inside the young (18 year old) mind of Beck and his early devlopment as a musician. The banjo twang gets a tad annoying and the drumming is a bit distracting but what can you expect from an 18 year old kid trying to make his first album? // 6

Lyrics: Becks lyric writing skills are genetic. They can not be learned and they have been with him since birth. My personal favorite and the best example of this is "Talkin'Demolition Expert," a take on the Talkin Blues style of the sixties/Bob Dylan bunch. I beg of you to look up the lyrics. Whenever I am bored, I just look up some old Beck lyrics and that keeps me amused for hours. // 10

Overall Impression: This album always cheers me up when I think that there is no way I could ever write music for a living. If Beck can write music with this kind of mass disappeal and turn into a multi milion dollar sensation, why cant I? I love this album and it will always be one of my favorites in my collection for it shows that a pale pot smoking, binge drinking, high school drop out with a obscure taste in music can write music this poorly can blossom into a beautiful butterfly (musicly of course, beck hasn't changed physically since he was 11). Anyway, this album may not be good for the ears, but it is excellent for the soul. // 8

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014