The Information Review

beck: The Information
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Interscope
Genres: Indie Rock, Alternative Dance, Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock
The Information is far more of a proper album than Guero, coming fully equipped with recurring themes and motifs, feeling every bit the concept album Sea Change was.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.1
 8.8
The Information Reviewed by: JackWhite1988, on november 18, 2006

Sound: The hit 2005 album Guero delayed the release of The Information which was a project Beck began after 2002's Sea Change. Many critics viewed Guero as a return to form in the Odelay days. In musical terms, this album is as good as Guero. The producer Nigel Godrich and his reputation as a perfectionist in the studio is displayed in form on The Information. // 9

Lyrics: At first listen, you'll notice that this is a very focused Beck album. Godrich's production puts Beck on a track that works most affectively for his abilities. You must listen to this album closely to fully appreciate what they were trying to accomplish. Lyrically, Beck is an obscurist. This roots to his influence of the writing of Kurt Cobain. Most of what he writes is deliberately conceived this way and after a decade of using these tactics, he knows what works and what doesn't. The rhythm's are very prominent and become the muscle behind nearly every song. "Nausea" in particular is very tedious. It's hard to feel the direction the song is taking next which really is a success because it resembles the song title to a textbook definition. "Elevator Music" is an answer to "E-Pro" on Guero. Very arena-pop sounding. // 8

Overall Impression: The funk-rock mixed with rap style that Beck is often cited for being a pioneer in the Alternative Rock wave over a decade ago isn't as prevalent on this album as it was on Guero. There are two modes of Beck influence interweaving on this album: folk and pop-art rock. This is a more focused album from a master of obscure music. This particular album, like any art-conceptual based album, will take a few listens to fully find meaning in. At first you'll be overwhelmed by the "Bells & Whistles" of a typical Beck record but if you look hard enough, you'll find the Information. // 9

The Information Reviewed by: paintITblack39, on november 18, 2006

Sound: Beck's The Information is a classic album made by him. Most songs have dirty drum beats (In Elevator Music the drums have flange effect with it) with a hip hop vibe to it. There's a lot of dirtiness in the album. Like mentioned, the drum beats are a great example. Another example is the acoustic guitar he uses in some songs. The things buzzing like crazy. Think of the acoustic or whatever he used in Loser and Hotwax. He took dirty sounds and such and made it into a song. Beck is the only person who is allowed to do that. He uses a variety of "noises" to add to his music, as well. For example, you know when the world had dial-up internet and when you picked the phone up while you were connected and you heard an annoying sound that just makes you want to kill yourself? Well, it turns out he has some of those in his album. He uses it well, and it's not too loud or annoying so you won't have to go crazy. Not only that but The Information has a variety of instruments used in the songs. There's always the regular instruments (guitar, bass, drums, etc.) and there are the very odd ones such as glockenspiel(god knows), gameboy, speak 'n spekk, tote a tune, berimbau, and others. it's really an amusement reading all the instruments used. To remind you, this is no Sea Change. Although some songs have a "chill-out" mood in the album (ex. Dark Star). Beck has a hip hop influence on this album, which doesn't appeal to most people here on Ultimate-Guitar.com. He also has a lot of electronica in it. There's still the Alternative/Indie vibe that most people love about him, too. it's different compared to his previous ones, but it's still Beck and that's what makes it great. // 10

Lyrics: Beck has written many greats from Loser to Golden Age. He's an amazing songwriter and his fans know that. I doubt there's much to put here. Great lyrics in this album. Some of the songs in here use a similar beat or Beck sometimes mixes some of the little parts in other songs to put in one song. Beck still has his voice and it's as great as it was in Odelay. He has this thing with his voice that just makes you relax, and it shows a lot in The Information. I did find it bothering though, that in some interludes in New Round Beck uses some "phone sounds" in it. I didn't think it was appropriate to the mood of the song. // 9

Overall Impression: In my humble opinion, I think this album is better than Guero and up there with some of his best. Sea Change, Odelay, and Mellow Gold are far more superior to The Information, but it's still a great album nonetheless. If it beats out any of those three, this would be legendary. I believe the most brilliant songs out of this album have to be Nausea, Strange Apparition, 1000 BPM, and Dark Star. There are some others, but these are my top favorites off this album. It'll change from time-to-time anyway. OK, now you may be wondering "This guy hasn't mentioned a thing about the stickers." Well, your going to glad just about now. The stickers are the most creative thing about this album and that's what I love about it. Not only do you get a free patch of stickers, but you get to be creative with the album cover. It makes any kind of album special. Each owner's album is unique to it's own kind of style. The booklet is empty as well so you can put the remainder of the stickers in there and show your art off. The back cover of the album has the usual (song lists, record company, FBI Anti-Piracy Warning, etc.) and you can also put the stickers in the back as well. The cover is gridded, so nothings crooked. The stickers are very creative and I wish I could show or describe them to you, but I can't. I like the DVD it comes with, too. The DVD has a compilation of home videos of songs. What I hate about this album is the fact that it's not in the UK charts. Big deal, Beck used a marketing device at least he's doing something to fight piracy, right? I'm not surprised most bands will do what he did and have a bunch of stickers to come with the album. // 10

The Information Reviewed by: auranos, on june 28, 2007

Sound: Beck, everyone's favorite genre schizophrenic, is back with a brand new album: The Information. The album opens with Elevator Music, a trippy song that's equal parts ambient melodies, exotic percussion, and general noise-making, all held together by Beck's vocals. Think I'm In Love is a bit more radio friendly and offers a respite from the aural adventure of Elevator Music. Cellphone's Dead jolts you into the techno realm with an opening worthy of the soundtrack to Samurai Champloo, followed a synthy bass line accompanied by artfully constructed ambient noise. Strange Apparition is a more straightforward folky song that gives Beck a chance to adopt a more melodic vocal tone. // 9

Lyrics: Beck has perfected the ability to sound both infectiously monotonous and pleasantly melodic. He exploits this talent frequently, most notably on Soldier Jane. He traipses through genres without restraint and uses his voice as a unifying force to make it all work together. The lyrics are good as well. Think I'm In Love finds Beck exploring the line between love and mere attraction while he laments the future of our information age in the title track: The Information. // 9

Overall Impression: What strikes me most about this album is it's continuity. In typical Beck fashion, an exotic, dark groove (Nausea) and an experimental techno-tinged romp (The Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton) inhabit the same album; however, each one feels like it belongs on The Information. Each song is a different ride contained in the same theme park. // 9

More Beck reviews rating latest review
+ Morning Phase 8.4 02/26/2014