Dichotomy Review

becoming the archetype: Dichotomy
Released: Nov 25, 2008
Genre: Progressive Death Metal
Label: Solid State
Dichotomy is the third studio album by metal band Becoming the Archetype. The album features guest appearances by Devin Townsend, Ryan Clark, a soprano named Suzanne Richter, and Aslan.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
Dichotomy Reviewed by: metalfre3k, on december 05, 2008

Sound: Unlike anything I've ever heard before. these guys have really really pushed themselves on this cd, and genre wise it's incredibly hard to label. if I had to put this CD into a genre I'd say it would be something like deathmetal inspired progressive metalcore/gothic rock. and believe it or not, it has to be one of the best cds I've ever bought. // 10

Lyrics: BTA's vocalist has one amazing set of pipes, he can reach unbelievable highs, lows and everything in between. for the most part it's a deep growl but he does have an incredible range. as far as lyrics, if you don't like being preached at you wont like their lyrics. their lyrics aren't as bold as their first two albums but they're definetly a christian band and they let you know what they believe. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a major step forward for BTA, and way better then anything else they've put out so far. the instrumental aren't as monotonus as they were in their terminate damnation album, and the horrible horrible singing that ruined the second CD in my opinion, is almost completely gone from this CD you only have to endure it for about 10 seconds on mountain of souls. The only bad thing I can say about this CD is that in one or two songs the instrumentals can get a little boring I mean they're all really really great but they do kind of overdo it in parts. // 10

Dichotomy Reviewed by: aenimafist, on december 05, 2008

Sound: I was just browsing around on one of my favorite sites when I saw an advertisement for this new record coming out and I swear I shat my pants without knowing it. Physics of Fire had only been released a year earlier so these guys had been busy. Actually the band made some line-up changes rehiring Jon Star as Alex left the band. Then they headed north from Georgia to Vancouver to record this album with devin townsend! Yes, Ziltoid himself was the perpetrator of this record as well as a guest vocalist on the first track "Mountain of Souls." This is clean vocal part. While the track isn't the most solid first song, it still introduces the band's more technical and futuristic (in lack of a better word) sound. The second third and fourth tracks are by far the best though with the synthesizers giving the music extra layering and depth, BTA has developed their greatest sound yet. It is somewhat reminiscent of their older material yet incorporates some SYL elements. Hmmm... I wonder why... // 10

Lyrics: Personally I am anti-religious yet I try to respect all beliefs, theistically. So I really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what the lyrics of most of the songs were about except for Artificial Immortality which is about the human race being run almost entirely by technology and then one day having it break down. Jason brings forth his massive growl to the fullest extent on the labum with the brief help of Ryan Clark of Demon Hunter on Dichotomy for the clean vocals. More of these would have been more than welcome but they were not there. Jason's voice has held up very well for these ten years the band has been together. The copyright date on the box says it was copyrighted in 2009 so evidently you can now copyright into the future. // 9

Overall Impression: When Physics of Fire came out I was kind of worried about where this band was heading because they strayed away from their first album not too far but far enough that I wasn't enjoying Physics as much I would have liked to. Yet the band continued on their straying, or rather developing path and brought out their best record yet. Dichotomy is certainly a landmark in the "Christian Metal Movement" and hopefully leaves a deeper scar than bands like the Chariot or Norma Jean. If they continue like they have been, they will. Best tracks: Dichotomy, Artificial Immortality, Self-Existent. // 10

More Becoming The Archetype reviews rating latest review