Terminate Damnation Review

becoming the archetype: Terminate Damnation
Release Date: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Doom Metal, Heavy Metal
Becoming The Archetype has convinced me it plans on being one of those bands that will forge ahead and blaze the true path of metal.
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Terminate Damnation Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2006

Sound: Very, very metal. The use of three guitars is uncommon in heavy metal, but utilized well on this album. One will play rythm while the other two will solo. Some of the playing starts to sound the same later in the album. Warning, most of these songs are very long. The longest clocks in at about eleven minutes. The drumming and bass go hand and hand throughout the entire album. Not a whole lot of flashy bass playing, but a good solid bottom end is still present. There is definitely a Pantera influence in this band. One of the guitarists is also a very accomplished keyboard player and plays throughout the album. There are three instrumentals, one is on the keyboard and guitar, another just acoustic guitar, and the final is the whole band. These guys are very talented and unlike most music today, know how to play their instruments. I would have liked to see a little more focused playing though. Barely any lines are repeated, and they jump from one riff to the other. It's like an A.D.D. fest. But overall, if you like very heavy metal-core, the BTA is for you. // 9

Lyrics: This singer is very talented. He is screaming his heart out while still playing very fast bass lines. The music and lyrics coincide very well and never seem out of place. They are obviously a christian band and don't mind telling you that. They fit into the scream at you about the horrors of death and hell christian band. Some of the lyrics are very stirring though. I was very impressed by them though. They are very well written and thougt provoking as well. // 9

Overall Impression: BTA was discovered by Demon Hunter front-man, Ryan Clark, and soon added to Solid State Records. It's obvious why Mr. Clark liked them, they are very similar to Demon Hunter. If you want to compare them to a more secular band, the only one that comes to mind would be Children Of Bodom. Some of the stand-out tracks are: Into Oblivion, Elegy, Night's Sorrow, No Fall To Far, and The Trivial Paroxysm. I love how these guys beat you head with all this fury, and then break into a very popy piano line, you never know what is coming at you with these songs. My only problem is that if you started any song at random, you wouldn't be able to recognize it by a main theme or riff, they love to go from idea to idea and never play the same thing twice. I love this album, if it where stolen, I whould maim the person who took it and then scold him for stealing. // 10

Terminate Damnation Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 28, 2007

Sound: There is a lot to be interested in here. It is very doomy and very loud deathy doom metal with some symphonic black metal utilities. There are a lot of keyboards in use especially sounding good in the intro to Epigone. They will go from loud and raucous to soft and lucid at many points in a song which allows for some interesting musical contrast. There are many melodic passages is all of the songs so anyone can listen to them no matter what genre of metal they like! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are usually important to me with any band. Except Becoming The Archetype. It is hard to even understand what is being said but I am sure it is good. The singer growls in a sort of voice like none I have evr heard. It is almost like Cannibal Corpse mixed with Breaking Benjamin if that sounds strange well I one hundred percent agree with you. They are supposed to be a christian band and I am agnostic so the lyrics don't matter to me but they are probably slightly preachy. // 9

Overall Impression: BTA are an interesting band because of their unique style of playing. If anyone knows who they are the most closly relate to Scar Symmetry and Demon Hunter. On their next album they had some normal singing and that would have been nice to have heard on this album but, you know how it is, you can't get everything you want. Go buy it! And buy it for your friends and your family and complete strangers! You'll enjoy! // 10

More Becoming The Archetype reviews rating latest review