The Physics Of Fire Review

Release Date:
Label:
Genres:
Number Of Tracks:
This album is a lot more focused than the last one and the songs are very catchy.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.7
 8.9
 8.5
The Physics Of Fire Reviewed by: Dubanubiel, on may 29, 2007

Sound: When I heard about this album coming out I nearly soiled myself and if I knew what I know now, I would have. After recording started and news about recording was released I heard that there were going to be clean vocals which really frightened me. I was afraid that BTA was just going to become another metal band that went soft but after hearing the album my fears were stilled. Alex's vocals are almost operatic and ver progressive. Speaking of progressive, this album is way more progressive than the last one but without sacrificing its metallic brutality. This album is also a lot more focused than the last one and the songs are very catchy. After listening to PoF relentlessly for a week I went back to TD to compare and the first thing I noticed is the improved recording quality. The recording quality of the last album was a bit of a turn-off but Magnusson (producer) really unlocked their potential. There is a lot more synth in this album but it doesn't sound corney. The synthesized orchestral pieces in the background add a lot. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics (quite literally) scream of the Psalms of old. Echoes of Acts in Epoch of War, and Endure is a paraphrase of Psalm 77:1-14. The lyrics are poetic and the imagery is astounding. I find myself just listening to the lyrics and picturing what jason is screaming to me. One thing I didn't like bout the lyrics in this album is that they didn't expand my vocabulary like TD did. Maybe they had too many complaints but I like having to whip out a dictionary to understand a song. I like how each song weaves in the theme of God being a fire in us. The lyrics flow well from song to song and 4 of the songs fit together to tell the story of mankind's struggle with sin. The lyrics are very clear which is nice but I like having to sit and think about a song for hours to figure it out. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album. Some highlights include Immolation, Autopsy, Nocturne, The Monolith, and The Balance of Eternity. BTA is a breath of fresh air in a worlf of no-talent bands who somehow make it big. It's also nice to see a talented Christian band who aren't araid to stand up and gowl from the bottoms of their innards "I love Jesus!" As much as I find this an amazing band and their best album yet I can't quite give it the whole 10. A bit of trivia: does anyone else hear echoes of the Agony Scene's Nausea in Nocturne? // 9

The Physics Of Fire Reviewed by: iron<3maiden, on august 23, 2007

Sound: This is the second album from the progressive death metal outfit Becoming the Archetype. This band has a unique sound, unlike anything else out there. This band combines uber-fast machine gun riffs, melodic guitar harmonies and piano interludes. This makes for a great mix and some very interesting music which rarely becomes boring. All four members of the band are experts at their chosen instrument and there quality and creativeness shine throughout this album. Also there are some top notch guitar solos in every song. // 9

Lyrics: Becoming the Archetype are a Christian band, and this becomes obvious when you hear there lyrics (or rather, as you read them). Throughout this album there are references to christian issues. The band uses fire as a metaphor for Jesus and being frozen as a metaphor for being a person who does not follow or love Jesus. This album would still be listenable for a non-christian however as most of the type the actual words are inaudible unless you really concenrate on what is being said. This is because of the low gutteral dfeath metal screams of frontman Jason. There are however sections of clean lyrics unlike in the last album, sung by guitarist Alex. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very strong effort from a very good band. It easily beats there previous album, Terminate Damnation, despite the fact that that album was brilliant. The most impressive songs from this album are the opener Epoch of War, the crushing immolation, constuct and collapse and the eight minute epic Balance of Eternity. These maybe the standout tracks however I could have selected any of the tracks to be must listens, these are just my personal favourites. If this album were stolen or lost I would definately replace it as soon as possible as it is constantly in my CD player. Becoming the Archetype are swiftly "Becoming" one of my favourite bands. // 9

The Physics Of Fire Reviewed by: aenimafist, on january 15, 2008

Sound: One of the members decided to leave the band and it is kind of noticeable even though it shouldn't be. It was the keyboardist who left and now Count Seth is doing the keyboarding. Epoch of War starts out the record nice and heavy and melodic so the death metal side of the band lives on. I'm not sure I like the backing vocals added by Alex because they sound a little too nice. If they were moreintense like the vocals of the Soil singer then it would be very intense. // 9

Lyrics: As an Atheist the Christian side of life does not interest me in the least. I respect it but shy away. The lyrics are very hard to recognize because Jason, I think it is, has a very deep and opaque growl. His performance on this record is about the same as it was on the first CD but it seems as though there is less ultra-deep growling. I liked his Mikael Akerfeldt vocal on One Man Parade and I wish there had been more. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a pretty good sophomore album and at the rate BTA is going, they will definately make it past grad-school. If you bought the first album, this one should be on your list of CDs to purchase. It was just good all around and the first video for this band is off this album. The song Endure has a video and you can watch it on YouTube. he best songs are Epoch of War, Immolation, and Endure. // 9

More Becoming The Archetype reviews rating latest review