Sounding A Mosaic Review

bedouin soundclash: Sounding A Mosaic
Release Date: Sep 7, 2004
Label: Stomp
Genres: Reggae, Rocksteady, Ska, Folk-Rock
Sweet, smooth, soulful and honest, Sounding A Mosaic is set to become an instant reggae favorite.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Sounding A Mosaic Reviewed by: gibson_rules_99, on april 15, 2008

Sound: You may not hear 6-string sweeps or frettboard tapping, but Bedouin Soundclash's blend of reggae, rock, and soul definately stands out in today's generic music scene. The band's second album "Sounding A Mosaic" lives up to it's name with a tapestry of sounds from the accoustic "When The Night Feels My Song" to the almost tropical sounding "Money Worries" that features the vocal work of Vernon Buckley, a friend of the band's. The album feels laid back, yet at the same time full of energy and emotion. The music itself is very rythmic and reggae like, featuring Jay Malinowski on guitar and vocals, Pat Pengelly playing some excellent, under-appreciated drums, and Eon Sinclair who is phenominal on the bass. // 9

Lyrics: Lead vocalist and guitarist Jay Malinowski, stands out as a talented, hard-working vocalist in an industry of auto-tuning pop singers. He doesn't have the ideal singing voice, but he uses his voice well and it really fits with the music. His singing and lyrics are all very true and heartfelt and his emotion in the studio and onstage contribute to Bedouin Soundclash's diverse sound. His lyrical topics range from wandering the streets of Toronto to immigrant workers, to murder. // 10

Overall Impression: Bedouin Sounclash has a unique, diverse sound and this CD is amazing. All three of their albums are great and I recommend you go out and buy all of them. If possible catch a live show, where the band's emotion and energy really comes through. The best songs on this album are "Rude Boy Don't Cry", "Music My Rock", "Gyasi Went Home", and of course "When The Night Feels My Song". The remixes at the end of the album are not nearly as good as pure Soundclash, but regardless I would replace this album in a second if it were stolen. // 9

Comments