By Your Side [Single] Review

Before You Fall: By Your Side [Single]
Released: Jan 10, 2012
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Label: Self-released
Before You Fall are back, with a new single and a tweaked sound.
 7.4
 9.3
 5.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
By Your Side [Single] Reviewed by: mssrulez, on february 23, 2012

Sound: Before You Fall are back, with a new single and a tweaked sound. The band features the exact same line up as they had when they recorded their EP, yet it sounds like they have a new drummer and a new bassist. It sounds like that, because, the band evidently aren't afraid of change and have consequently stepped up. The drums sound more proficient and technical, and the bass has a better groove overall. With the release of this song, the band have also introduced dubstep-esque synths; I'm not a dubstep fan by a long shot, but the crazy, LSD enfuelled noises you hear every now and again are pretty awesome. // 9

Lyrics: The vocalist is back with quite a vengeance. Whilst his demonic growls remain, new to the table are chilling high screams that are a great relief in comparison to the screams heard previously. The screams are very unique this time around, meaning the vocalist is very identifiable by ear, ensuring he sticks out in the crowd of copy-cat vocalists currently taking refuge in the post-hardcore genre. The lyrics aren't complex and they're not supposed to be, they are simply about living life to the full and taking chances; "Take our advice Roll all your dice" To round up, this aspect of the music impressed me this time around. // 9

Overall Impression: To conclude, I can say with ease that this single shows that the band are certainly maturing fast, and leaves them invulnerable to any haters who accuse them of being anything along the lines of "emo" or "trendy teenage trash". There really isn't much to hate, so I recommend take a listen, take it all in and remember to open your mind before your mouth. // 10

More Before You Fall reviews rating latest review