Conceiver Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Conceiver Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2013

Sound: Before You Fall is back with a new and improved sound. Overall it feels like they've matured, not just as a band, but also as musicians. They're growth can be heard in tracks such as "You're Haskin For Trouble," or "City Of Shadow." Justin even has a different scream. Alot higher and smoother than before it's almost as if Ausitn Carlile had a kid with Danny Worsnop. While over all the album was a success, there were a few parts that made me cringe just a bit. The intro track, "Rotting In The Grave," sets up the album niceley as it leads into "Corruption." In tracks such as "City Of Shadow" and "Conceiver," Jesse and Aaron did something that I really like. There would be a simple chug riff, while Jesse would add in a haunting melodic line that would leave my ears begging for more. I can't seem to get enough of thier playing. Out of all the bands I listen to, no one seems to use synths like BYF. The simple amounts of dubstep, and techno blend perfectly into the song in "You're Haskin For Trouble" and "Corruption." It may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy it you'll love this album. A couple of things I didn't like as much were simply little. At times the constant chugging would get a little boring to listen to. It eventually led into the chorus and more technical parts. If there were less chugs and more technicality that I know Jesse and Aaron (now Calvin) are capable of. // 9

Lyrics: I overall liked the lyrics in this album. The song meanings were split between accomplishing their dream of making it in the music industry, and a hateful anger towards someone who's betrayed them. At times the lyrics seemed a bit childish, such as the multiple uses of f--k. It doesn't really bother me but I'm not one for profane language due to my beliefs. On songs such as "Rotting In The Grave," and "Conciever," you can hear the passion in Justin's voice. It really shines throughout the album. Telle Smith from The Word Alive even does guest vocals on the song. Telle and Justin take turns screaming phrases at each other and it all blends in nicely with the music. Calvin's singing in just about every song is also something to be noted. He has an incredible range. He now sings a few octaves higher than he did in the EP. Justin even sings in "Part-Time Alcoholic" and "Words I Wrote" (Or at least that's what I heard). It was nice to hear him take a break from the constant screaming that I'm used to, and to hear melody coming from his voice. Overall him and Calvin have both improved vocally since "YLBOF" and even "By Your Side." Also... dat vibrato. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I loved this album to pieces. Definitely the best material they have put out so far. I would say this album sounds similar to Infamous, R&R, Deceiver, and Battle Royal. The stand out tracks on this album are "Through Our Eyes," "Conceiver," "City Of Shadow," "Part-Time Alchoholic," and "You're Haskin For Trouble." What I loved was the way Jesse and Aaron worked with each other to harmonize their melodies placed uniquely throughout the album. The things I disliked were the seemingly constant chugging, and I wasn't a huge fan of the chorus in "No Where Else To Turn." I haven't bought a physical copy of the album because BYF is not on a record label yet, but if it was stolen I wouldn't just bye a new one. I would hunt down the person who stole the album and kill them myself.

// 9