You Looked Better On Facebook [EP] Review

7.7
 5.7
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
You Looked Better On Facebook [EP] Reviewed by: mssrulez, on september 07, 2011

Sound: The first thing I had in consideration when I first downloaded this EP, was my knowledge of both the genre (post-hardcore) and their extremely young age. I always give bands fair judgement, but I was not expecting anything decent, considering the usual outcome of young people writing post-hardcore music. As opposed to what was expected, however, I gave them a shot and I was not dissapointed. The guitarists both know what they're doing suprisingly well, with some excellent riffing, harmonising and, in some cases, brilliant soloing. I see a lot of potential in this aspect. Although slightly muddy in areas, the drummer has the right idea and keeps the beat going fairly well. The bassist, in my opinion, is nothing more than your average bassist with little musical creativity or skill shown. Instrumentally the drummer and bassist are the weakest links. Whilst not bad, they don't do what they do as well as the guitarists. // 8

Lyrics: First thing, I shall say, the lyrics aren't my style so this is something I find hard to judge without being too criticising. With song titles such as 'Your Hair is a Wig and Everyone Knows it' coupled with lines like 'You like it rough girl, so do I', the lyrics are pretty questionable to be honest. I will say, though, I like the attitude I hear in the lyrics. In terms of how the vocals sound, the screams are not the best I've heard; Not the worst either. The main vocalist's deep screams are brilliant though. Aswell as the vocal assualts in verses, we have clean vocals in choruses. These really shine. Delivered by the drummer, they're nice and smooth with a catchy edge. // 7

Overall Impression: Comparing to other artists, whilst this shows a world of future possibilities, it doesn't stand out as anything special. One thing that could be improved next time around is better drumming, better bass playing and more variety in the songwriting and structure overall - in every song all the verses are screamed and all the choruses are clean, which can be pretty repetitive. // 8

More Before You Fall reviews rating latest review