Belladonic Haze Review

Belladonic Haze: Belladonic Haze
Released: Jul 21, 2012
Genre: Classic Rock, Hard Rock
Label: Self-released
This is a really good first offering for a local band that has more than likely financed it themselves.
 8.8
 9.7
 7.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Belladonic Haze Reviewed by: maxpowweer, on november 29, 2012

Sound: I stumbled upon this band by accident a few weeks ago. Listening to "Keep Yourself Alive" by Queen, I wanted to know what the lyric "Well I've loved a million women in a belladonic haze" meant. So I googled it and this band came up with the search results. Looking at their Facebook band page, they're a small Leeds band, but fortunately they had their album for sale on Amazon and iTunes as I really liked the songs they had on their band page, so I bought it. Listening to the album, you can see that it's not just the band name that Queen has inspired this band with. There's a mix of genres on the album from sleaze rock with "Scarlet Woman", "Strange" and "She Loves To Argue (But She Never Debates)", to ballads like "I See Her Walking In The Rain Again" and "Deborah Anne". The rockier songs are driven along with riffs that make you want to dust off your air guitar and some superb lead guitar lines which complement the melody of the song really well. The lead isn't over powering the songs like a Yngwie Malmsteen line, but is tasteful and reminds me of something like "Smooth" by Santana on top of this there's a cool bass solo in "Strange", which acts as a break before the booming chorus. As well as the hard rock, Belladonic Haze has a sentimental side, which is apparent in "I See Her Walking In The Rain Again" and "Deborah Anne", using a mixture of clean electric guitar riffs, as well as acoustic guitars. This band isn't shy about dabbling with other instruments with well played piano and bluesy harmonica. // 10

Lyrics: The stand out song for listening to the lyrics is "I See Her Walking In The Rain Again", which tells the story of a guy that never has the courage to talk to the girl, and ultimately picks up the courage to do so. We've all been there, and I'm sure there's a lot who can relate to it. The songs "She Loves To Argue" and the closing track "Getting Old" have a very sing-a-long feel to them. I could imagine with these two songs that they would have the crowd singing, and will definitely be in your head for the rest of the day with its catchy chorus and infectious rhythm. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this is a really good first offering for a local band that has more than likely financed it themselves. Utilising a range of instruments from, guitars, harmonics and pianos, there is clearly a lot of talent within this band. What I love about this album is the assortment of genres that fit together really well, and doesn't sound like a random mix tape of songs. I can't really find a fault with the album, other than it's a shame I only came across it by accident. My personal favourite song has to be "The Land That Time Forgot". This is a beautifully written song with amazing guitar playing, which made me think, why these guys aren't bigger!? I couldn't recommend them enough, and if you're the kind of person who likes to say "I liked that band before they were popular", then I suggest you become a fan sharpish because I doubt they'll be unknown for long with music like this.

http://belladonichazeleeds.wordpress.com/album/ https://www.facebook.com/thebelladonichaze // 10

Comments