Lover Undercover Review

Ben Carroll: Lover Undercover
Release Date: Jun 1, 2005
Label: Luckytone Records
Genres: Rock
Lover Undercover (Luckytone Records, 2005) is Ben Carroll's debut record which press praises and music lovers love.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Lover Undercover Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on march 15, 2007

Sound: Ben Carroll's debut album Lover Undercover is pure acoustic-pop with shadings of blues, soul, R&B, folk, and soft rock. What makes him stand out from the pack of acoustic-pop barons like Jack Johnson, Keller Williams, Ray LaMontagne, and John Mayer are his rich R&B/soul vocal intonations which are measurable to Stevie Wonder. Carroll shows complete control of his vocal suppleness and resonance as his voice hovers above the acoustic guitar strums and tweeds the soothing melodies. Tracks like Angel's Arms and Mother's Maiden Name fan a gentle lullaby tempo while numbers like A Simple Kind and Fire & Ice are embossed with soft rock grooves. The bluesy flamenco waltz of Dola Rosa moves like a graceful tide through the rolling notes beaming compassion in the vocal feathering. The title track and If I Wasn't Sleeping have a generous amount of bluesy vocals and folk enriched guitar tones. Three In One carves out an angelic guitar riff as Acting Like Boy offers a plump chord progression. The sound is sparse giving the vocals center stage. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are characteristic of folk songs loaded with storytelling tales and personal experiences about love and heartache. Some songs sob, some smile, and some reflect on past scenes like the song If I Wasn't Sleeping as Carroll chimes, I bet on bad luck and I win every time/Except when I lose and that's when you're mine/You've been coming around and you've been asking for more/That's funny to me 'cause you know that I'm poor. // 8

Overall Impression: Carroll has the songwriting abilities and the vocal talent comparable to Stevie Wonder. He fuses folk guitar harmoniously with blues and R&B vocals and massages them into a melodic coalescence. Acoustic-pop served in large quantities is often dull sounding, but Carroll dunks his acoustic sessions into soft textures of blues and soul variations that the music stays affective while keeping a steady consistency. It's a tight rope to balance on but Carroll has such rich emotive vocals that the album holds listeners absorbed. // 8

More Ben Carroll reviews rating latest review