Mechanics Of Dysfunction Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 22 comments vote for this album:
Mechanics Of Dysfunction Reviewed by: xchaseedgex, on april 25, 2007

Sound: In the technical death metal scene, the name Beneath The Massacre should be no stranger. With two extremely solid and technical albums under their belt it's hard not to take notice. The recording quality is top notch, with everything leveled perfectly to my tastes, although some may find the drums and double bass too loud. The guitars are even more crushing from their first album and about ten times as technical, I was nothing short of impressed with the work that he put out through the whole album. The bass could be a little bit louder on this album, but then again bass is left pretty much dormant in all metal releases now a-days. When you do hear the bass you can really tell that he knows what he's doing and he manages to keep up with what the guitarist is playing at all times. The drums are probably the highest point of recognition that this album has to offer though. I've heard a lot of metal releases and I would have to say that this is one of the most articulate, and one of the fastest drummer's I've ever heard, it almost seems hard to believe that this man is human at some points on the record. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually quite good on this record, although you never really hear what he is saying through the low grunts. The only real flaw with this record would be the vocals. When I say they are incredibly monotone, I'm not over exaggerating anything. The singer literally uses the same exact voice throughout the whole record and I would think that to be one of the turn-offs to someone who isn't already into this band. Overall though his flow meshes quite well with the songs, and I would say that he is indeed a very good fit for the band if he had more of a range to his singing. // 6

Overall Impression: This album was one of my favorites to be released in recent memory, and I honestly couldn't think of anyone to compare this band to since they are so incredibly technical. "The Surface" is a great opening track and one of my most favored on the album, due to the sheer brutality level of it. Another track that really sticks itself out there is "Modern Age Slavery" which is probably one of the most articulate songs on the album. The vocals really bring this song together and it's just a fun song to listen to. I love everything about it except for the vocals really. I just wish he had more of a range in his vocal capabilities, and Mechanics of Dysfunction would be perfect. I would highly recommend if you are a fan of any sort of brutal/technical music at all, since this band seems to be at the front of the pack in terms of technicality, brutality, and overall musicianship. // 10

More Beneath The Massacre reviews rating latest review