Colors Review

artist: between the buried and me date: 01/24/2012 category: compact discs
between the buried and me: Colors
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Rock
From the progressive metal stomp of their self-titled debut, followed by the melancholy of "The Silent Circus" and then the claustrophobic "Alaska", BTBAM continue to evolve into a new pedigree that defies any categorization.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.7
 9.6
 9.7
Colors Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 17, 2007

Sound: As for the production of this album, it's flawless. All instruments are clearly audible when they need to be. The production manages to balance the heavy with the ambient and all in all, the band and their engineer didn't make any bad moves. The honesty and skillful execution is an example to others attempting to pen albums of the same scope. // 10

Lyrics: I will not even try to engage in a proper lyrical analysis for this album. The language at first glance is not overly rich, but the subtle nuances and metaphors are very cleverly written. A less seasoned reader might dismiss the lyrics as gibberish, but yours truly find them to be very refreshing. We are dealing with social criticism, but very subtly implemented. The vocal melodies accompanying the lyrics are also not your standard fare. All in all, refreshing. // 8

Overall Impression: For this particular album, the progressive rock/metal tag is one of the most ill-fitting ones I've penned. But the thing is with this album is that is spans so many genres and influences that frankly it'd take up half the review listing just them. A short summary of the many influences I can hear are: technical playing a-la Dream Theater, progressive, soft soundscapes in the vein of Pink Floyd, hardcore vocals, death metal and to round it all off, some very Beatles-esque melodies. Clocking in at 64 minutes, it's quite a piece to take in. This is not easy listening, and if you prefer your rock/metal straight up like AC/DC, then this is not your band. The album is littered with brutal breakdowns and some captivating melodies. Perhaps the most beautiful of them all is the main melody of Ants Of The Sky, which amusingly enough does it's last tour of duty after what sounds like a regular night out at the local Irish pub. Part of the charm lies in the execution of these unexpected sections, but what's most important is that the charm doesn't fade with time. The honesty and skillful execution is an example to others attempting to pen albums of the same scope. With only a few months remaining of 2007, Colors is so far the best of the year. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: MustangMan311, on september 19, 2007

Sound: If you haven't heard Between The Buried And Me Before, and you're a fan of the metalcore genre, you're missing out. If you're a fan of heavy music at all, and you haven't heard the genius that is BTBAM, you're missing out, actually. Not just tremolo riffs or breakdowns, BTBAM is an amalmagation of progressive music, hardcore, metalcore, jazz, and rock. You will definitely hear bits and pieces of Pink Floyd or Queen sticking out on this record, sense some Mike Patton influence, and recognize the boys going back to their North Carolinian roots on one particular track. Listening to their albums on a chronological time-line, the band's progression is undeniable, and was supremely expected on Colors. That said, this amount was hard to believe, and indefinitely sets the bar for this genre (if it is a single genre). The band's last album, Alaska, was very much chastised for it's production. The guitars, drums, everything, seemed to be done wrong. With Colors, these problems have ultimately been resolved. The mix, once again by North Carolina's Jamie King, is fantastic, and gives all parts of the record their rightful displays among the others. Paul Waggoner's technical guitar work is untouched, once again, and the "wankery" has been toned down a bit to fit the more mature sound of Colors. It seems that rhythm guitarist, if you'd like to belittle him like that, Dusty Waring, has had a larger role in every aspect of playing and writing material. Blake Richardson has solidified his place in the band at the helm of percussion, and any doubts that were had at the release of Alaska are gone. Myself being a bassist, I'd like to go off on a tangent and exclaim to everyone about the talent of the group's bassist, Dan Briggs from Erie. But I'll keep the ass-kissing to a minimum and just say that to ignore the complete package he offers as a metal bass player is to not see the group in it's whole light. And then we have Tommy Rogers, the powerful, full-fledged vocalist and pianist of the band. His keyboarding stands out more on this album than on any other, and complements the music in subtle undertones that go un-noticed even after a large number of listens. His vocals, hard to believe when you see his frame, have evolved with the band's music, and not only his familiar growl, but his singing. Obviously trying to channel his idol, Freddie Mercury, in both aspects of his musicianship, the front-man rounds out this incredibly solid line-up particularly well. Crushing, uplifting, and all-powerful, Between the Buried and Me's sound has changed in all the necessary places, and risen to new heights. // 9

Lyrics: Tommy's piano playing and varied vocals often over-shadow his lyrical ability, which isn't surprising, especially in this type of music when lyrics are hardly audible. His lyrics have never really been written in a traditional narrative sense, rather in first-person, giving details and such, and describing the situations the listener is in. I won't go into too much detail as I'm going by ear on this, but to sit with the lyrics and the CD turned up to 11 doesn't disappoint. What would sound cheesy on paper turns into an uplifting melody, or a melancholy chorus, ala old school hardcore. // 9

Overall Impression: To go through this in a song by song manner is to ruin the experience, in a way, for those who haven't listened yet. The album fleshes itself out through it's eight tracks, and is one large, hour-long song. The length is appropriate for the amount of diversity on the disc, and isn't surprising for this band. The opening is clear and ringing, as is the ending, and what happens between the intro and outro is a chaotic blend of progressive metal that needs to be heard by any fan of heavy music. I was certainly surprised with the first chord, but when the familiar mix chimed in, I was taken to the familiarity I'd been waiting for since 2005. If this album was stolen or lost, I wouldn't beat the one who took it, but simply encourage them to listen to it as I have, and I'd most certainly purchase another copy. This is nothing short of the band's magnum opus, and is what fans wanted and more. As much as I love this album, to give it a straight ten seems un-fair to other albums that are great in their own right, so I leave you with this. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: carrotcake, on october 12, 2007

Sound: When I first heard this CD it just blew me away! Between the Buried and Me has been my favorite band for some time now, and "Colors" made me like them a whole lot more! Everything about this band sounds great; the riffs, breakdowns, instrumentals, every second of this album. It scares me how great these five musicians are. Between the Buried and Me put so many genres of music into this album: proggresive, metal, jazz, rock, bluegrass, you name it! I also love the cover and theme of it. Right when I saw it all I thought about was Pink Floyd. It even has graphics from "The Silent Circus" on the lyric booklet. Another thing that stood out was that it was one continuous song throughout the whole album. Every song had something to do with the next. Between the Buried and Me definitly went all out on this album, what a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: As always Tommy's lyrics were intense and soft all throughout "Colors". I love how Tommy has really dedicated lyrics in some of the songs. For example, in Foam Born (b) The Decade Of Statues he says, "It's a must these days, for the colors are fading." That part really stood out to me and it really compliments the album. There's also mentionings from "The Silent Circus" again in "White Walls". He says, "they chose Camilla and we stood by her the entire time." "Camilla Rhodes" was actually in a movie that Tommy mentions in "The Silent Circus". And it amazes me how Tommy thinks of these spetacular lyrics. All and all, Tommy Rogers and his throat never seice to amaze me. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a pure masterpiece and Paul Waggoner, Tommy Rogers, Dan Briggs, Blake Richardson, and Dusty Waring are the five wonderful mucisians to make it. "Colors" is hands down their best album by far, no questions about it. I can't really pick a favorite song, so I'll just explain my feelings for each song... Foam Born a: The Backtrack, what an amazing intro, and talk about a synth solo, this is a great opener. Foam Born (b) The Decade Of Statues, wow, what a brilliant compliment to the first song, this song is great all around and has a wonderful breakdown. Informal Gluttony; this song probably has the best drum, bass, and guitar playing all in one intro! This is a sweet tune. Sun Of Nothing; the 4 second drum intro kills! Then it's abrubtly interupted by guitars. The strange thing about this song is the random elmo break, it goes from fast metalcore to happy elmo? Now how could you not enjoy that. Ants Of The Sky; what a song! It's brutal throughout the whole song exlude the jazz solo and the bluegrass breakdown. Prequel To The Sequel; what an amazing intro, scale after scale is thrown into it, definitly a favorite. Viridian; Dan completly owns this song, nothing can beat that amazing solo he plays in this. Finally... White Walls! This song is a great way to end this magnificent album. Every part about it is great. The solo at the end never stops and it's completly mind-blowing! Nothing could sound better than this album. In conclusion, Between the Buried and Me is an incredable band and they never dissapoint their fans. If I lost this album I would 100% go out and buy a new one, or kill whoever stole it. I love everything about "Colors" and there is nothing to hate. If I could describe this album in only three words they would be: Perfection, dedication, and musicianship. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2008

Sound: Well, this is my first experience with BTBAM. And to be honest, this is the best first impression a band has ever given me. This album is INSANE. The band covers more genres than should be legal on a death metal album, with such influences ranging from Pink Floyd and King Crimson to Pantera and other metal greats. Some genre changes come when you'd least expect it. One such time is the band bringin' out the fiddles and banjos at the end of "Ants Of The Sky." If any other band tried this, it would probably sound horrible. Needless to say, the BTBAM boys pull it off perfectly. Paul Waggoner's and Dustie Waring's guitars chunk out some of the craziest riffs to ever bleed through my ears, and also some guitar solos that would bring a tear to David Gilmour's eye. Dan Briggs' bass shines on the instrumental "Viridian." Blake Richardson's drums blow the back of your brain out your butt with quick and unexpected tempo changes. And lastly, Tommy Rogers' keyboards add depth to what is already an amazing ocean of sound. At some moments in "Foam Born (A) The Backtrack", "Sun Of Nothing", "Viridian", and "White Walls" is one of the few times that I can say that a death metal album was beautiful. No matter what your experience with metal is, nothing, I repeat nothing will prepare you for what awaits your ears on Colors. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Tommy Rogers' lyrics are not your typical death metal lyrics. But then again, this isn't your typical death metal album. At times strange, at times more like dialouge than actual lyrics, they are amazing. Rogers' is probably one of the most talented metal vocalists today. His vocal ranges from the brutal death growl we all know and love, to a calming singing voice reminescent of Muse's vocalist. My only problem (and this is really minor compared to everything else) is that not all of the lyrics are in the booklet, and some that are in the lyrics are never said. Some lyrics to "White Walls" are missing. A few lines of "Ants Of The Sky" aren't even in the song. Also, the lyrics in paranthesis (for the most part) are never sung. // 9

Overall Impression: Colors definetly takes my pick as best metal album of 2007. It's just one 64 minute long song of insanity divided into 8 tracks. I'll just cut it down track by track: 01. Foam Born: The Backtrack - perfect intro, lulling the listener into a false sense of comfort before exploding towards the end of the track. 02. Foam Born: The Decade Of Statues - picks up from where The Backtrack left off and just continues bringing the brutality up until it's final second. 03. Informal Gluttony - begins with a Middle Eastern type intro, before exploding into the verses. Features some melody and superb clean vocals in the chorus. 04. Sun Of Nothing - starts with the drum solo concluding the last track and takes off for an 11 minute epic. This probably has my favorite lyrics on the whole album. Rogers' clean vocals shine towards the end. The song ends on the words "I'll sleep." 05. Ants Of The Sky - picks up the last word from Sun Of Nothing "now", which makes it kind of weird to listen to on an iPod. Another long epic, featuring the unorthodox hillbilly outro. 06. Prequel To The Sequel - probably my least favorite song on the whole album, but still a great one. Starts off with a great riff and continues it's way smashing through the lyrics until it reaches something that sounds like polka mixed with Marilyn Manson. 07. Viridian - the album's softest track is also its' only instrumental. A nice arpeggiated riff plays throughout the song with an amazing bass solo by Dan Briggs. As the song draws to a close, a sound of brewing chaos stirs in the background that can only be. 08. White Walls - words fail me. The best song on the album is also it's longest, clocking in at 14 minutes. The brutal opening riff tells you that it's just begun. And after the final lyrics, "White wall", the band decides it's not over just yet and continues for a 4 minute long instrumental outro, ending with a final piano piece. If this album were stolen, I would hunt down the person who stole it and put a bullet in their worthless fat face. If I lost it, I would search to the ends of the Earth to find it. Or I'd just get another copy. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: Myung-trucci, on december 15, 2008

Sound: Colors is one of the best progressive metal albums I own. There are flaws-like any album, but none of it takes away from this band's incredible self-described 'pummeling beautiful music'. But it took time for me to really get into this album, because even though many people would classify it as a 'metalcore' album, one listen to the brutal breakdowns and screams in a track such as 'Foam Born (B) The Decade Of Statues' shows that this band's heavy moments are far more extreme than the pop-metal sounds associated with most metalcore. It took time for me to be able to appreciate the extreme sections, but if you are used to heavy music than there is nothing stopping you from sinking your teeth into this amazing metal record. Between The Buried And Me's sound has really evolved from their previous effort 'Alaska' which featured shorter songs and overly less mature songwriting. Their prog influence has taken center stage on Colors, and they are now a prog band with metalcore influences, rather than a metalcore band with prog influences. The music is unlike what you will have heard in many other bands-the songs are exciting and versatile, taking you on an epic journey, with each track showing the band's amazing talent. A great example of this is on album highlight 'Ants Of The Sky', which starts with a guttural scream and terrifying sweep arpeggios, and then progresses through acoustic, jazz, flamenco and blues styles with a country hoe-down thrown in for good measure. If you're a fan of metal you need this album, the only thing I can really criticize is that the vocals won't be for everyone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are quite strange on paper with lines such as 'My teeth taste funny today... they seem more jagged than normal. I've been told that I have been grinding them like gears during my dream hours... 'but they fit perfectly with the music. Tommy's lyrics are a breath of fresh air from the emo crap that owns the radio. Tommy's is a great vocalist, and although it took time for me to get used to his growls the way he can switch from clean falsetto to death growls is incredible. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an album that you can listen to again and again as the music unravels like a gift each time you listen. The album is almost like one continuous song, as there are no gaps between each song. Sun Of Nothing, White Walls and Ants Of The Sky are the album's most impressive songs of epic length (White Walls being 15 minutes) but there's plenty of brilliance to be found in Foam Born's chromatic breakdowns, Viridian's amazing bass solo and the Eastern-inspired intro to Informal Gluttony. This album introduces to us a much more mature and progressive Between The Buried And Me, and if this album is just a sign of things to come than this band are going to be the next Dream Theater. // 9

Colors Reviewed by: uninsane_guitar, on october 19, 2009

Sound: First of all, I would like to say that this was my first BTBAM album. I saw the video for "Alaska" on the Victory Records VictorV episode that came with my copy of Atreyu "The Curse". Afterwards, I was impressed and wanted to get the album "Alaska", but they were out at my local F.Y.E so I got "Colors" instead. What I hear is a lot of Dream Theater, Opeth, and Pink Floyd in their music. The guitars are really good, the bass is amazing, the drums rock, and the vocals are an interesting blend between death metal growls and screams and atmospheric, ambient clean sequences. BTW, "Viridian" is such an awesome buildup to "White Wall"! Jamie King did a great job in production and the sound of the album is awesome. You can hear each individual instrument and each individual riff and run. "Informal Gluttony's" Middle-Eastern drum inspired intro just proves that BTBAM doesn't care about the boundaries set by the major labels and big corporations and just does what they want! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics pretty much require you to read them to fully understand what he's saying. Here's what I think the songs mean. 01. "Foam Born A (The Backtrack)":This song is about being born and coming into existence and being old and reflecting on your life.("I'll just keep waiting. We'll all just keep waiting. In the cold. The supplement. We lost some friends, we drove the bends so small.") 02. "B (The Decade of Statues)": this song is about writer's block and the songwriter's difficulty in writing songs and appreciating fans and receiving fan mail. ("It's been a while since we've written each other and hopefully this will comfort you") 03. "Informal Gluttony": this song is about corporate buisnessmen whose lives revolve around their work hours ("clock tower, bring us all down") and don't think for themselves. Instead, just keep living their lifestyle and make sure they get their career advances. They live like mice or rats being manipulated by the big corporate bosses. ("corner office tubes, give me the best view in the hut.") 04. "Sun of Nothing":This song is about a man who can't stand life on Earth anymore and feels lonely so he's going to build a spaceship and float himself towards the sun and die. But while in transit he realizes he never really was lonely, it's really his fault for thinking he's better than eveyone. 05. "Ants of the Sky":This song was written while he was in an airport terminal waiting for his flight and he noticed how we are like ants running about to our various destinations, with blank expressions, unfeeling. ("the walking dead") 06. "Prequel to the Sequel":This song is about Mother Nature giving birth to Earth, and how Earth's three lovers ("the headless lover of three an unspeakable affair") took advantage of him and he withered away and died ("torn to his last life, how hadn't it noticed a constant change in the surroundings it didn't think anything could go this wrong") Basically, he's trying to say if we're not careful, Earth may be destroyed. 07. "Viridian": This song is an instrumental, however I heard that the story behind it was that he was shopping for paint colors and discovered the color Viridian, basically a fancy way of saying indigo. I love this song, it's the eye of the hurricane in this album. It builds the up until the most ferocious storm surge hits you, a vicious aural assault, the best song on the album. White Wall. 08. "White Wall": This song is about how musicians are image-based, how music isn't important to the industry anymore ("the whores take the stage, flash our skills") then goes on to say that his band, Between the Buried and Me, are redefining themselves, the canvas is blank. This is all they have, so they want to be remembered for it. ("this is all we have when we die, this is what's left of us when we die. We will be remembered for this... White Wall") This song is my favorite song they've ever written, an incredible compositon. The singer is very, very talented. The first time I heard this album, I was transfixed until the last piano chord was hit (I love how this album begins and ends with piano. Beautiful.) // 10

Overall Impression: The only bands I can put them close to are Rush, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, and Dream Theater. The guitarists are gods in their own right. The 4 minute long solo to "White Wall" is phenomenal, especially the tap sweeps performed about halfway through. I love everything about this album, to me BTBAM and Unearth are the best metalcore bands out there, the most skilled. If this album were stolen, thank god it's on my computer! I'll probably buy Alaska to replace it. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on january 24, 2012

Sound: I'm a massive fan of progressive rock. I'm an even bigger fan of progressive metal. And through my search for a band that would fill the void my ears were hungry for, I found BTBAM. Never, have I heard a band quite as talented and unique as these guy's are. I originally started off listening to "The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogue" - which got positive reviews, but not to the epic standard "Colours" has been praised for. I thoroughly enjoyed all 30minutes of it and was blown away by them. I then immediately went out and bought "Colours". Upon listening to "Colours" I had to say I was a little disappointed. I don't know what it was that wasn't sinking into my head, but I couldn't get my head round what everyone saw in this album, to "TP:HD". After 3 listens, though, and I soon found solace in this album, and what everyone else was seening. It's a work of genius. The thing that impressed me most about it, was "Colours" starts and then doesn't finish. That's right. Not a tiny bit of silence to break up when you know the song ends. It's continuous, doesn't stop. Most bands would cripple and fall at the attempt of this, but BTBAM not only manage to smash the concept, but leaves you in aw by just how well the songs flow. And this is the main ingredient of the album: the variety. When a track starts, it changes every 30 seconds and then moves on to a different style of music. It never feels disjointed or out of place. And it's just a really exciting album to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: A really talented singer, who changes his vocals to suit the music. Throughout it's a scream for the weapon of choice, but he variates along with the rest of the band. He's not a vocalist that screams just because he can't sing. Because he can do both very well, and his voice fits the music perfectly. Lyrics aren't of the cliche' manner either. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's hard to describe how these guy's sound. They really are unique in everyway possible. They are very talented musicians, and have the ability to make everyone like them, no matter what type of taste you have in music. If your looking for something exciting and new to the table of music, this is the band for you; and no better album to start on than "Colours". Epic stuff. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: mr. riff, on september 22, 2007

Sound: Between the Buried and Me have always interested me in ways few bands today (especially hardcore bands) have. They blend styles like hardcore, metal, jazz, and prog to create a sound all their own. Colors, by far, showcases BTBAM sound and talent like none of their previous work. I would describe Colors as one large song that can take the listener through a musical journey. Many might not like the time it takes to get through some of the songs (Ants of the Sky is 13:10 and White Walls is 14:13) but every song is worth the wait. Between the Buried and Me don't dissapoint on Colors as far as musicianship and technique are concerned. The guitar parts are a bit more understated than in Alaska which makes the band's talent as a whole shine through. They're a lot more varied parts as well, having a great and unique mixture of shredding passages, crushing riffs, beautiful cleans, and powerful solos. I'm no bass expert but the bass on this album is pretty strong. The drums is also very good without being to overshadowing. The keyboards are great as well. Though they are never really a focus in most of the songs but they add a lot to BTBAM unique sound. The production is top notch and doesn't take away from the music. There are many parts in this album that will turn heads for most people new to BTBAM, like the "lalala" part in "Sun of Nothing" or the barfight at the end of "Ants of the Sky". Overall this is the most balanced BTBAM album in terms of style and sound. // 10

Lyrics: Tommy Rogers does a good job with the lyrics and they definetly go hand in hand with the music. I won't get specific with the lyrics but they can really make you think and sometimes you might not know what Tommy is talking about right away. As far as vocals are concerned it as varied as is everything else on the album. Some might be turned off by Tommy's agressive vocals all over Colors his melodic singing is something that greatly contributes to this albums greatness. In a world where screaming and singing are constantly beside each other, Tommy knows how to incorporate both (as well as many other vocal styles) without it becoming stale or formulated. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best album I've heard all year. It's really hard to compare with other bands because of BTBAM's unique sound and style but after my first listen I knew that Colors was something special. Definetly BTBAM at their best. I can't say I hate a single thing about Colors. Also, I can't say that any single track is better than the others because this is album is much more enjoyable as a whole. Colors is heavy, melodic, and epic. If it were stolen I would gladly purchase it again knowing that the theif would about to experience the greatness that is Colors. Buying Colors was the best decision I've made all year! // 10

Colors Reviewed by: EscapingAnxiety, on september 24, 2007

Sound: If anyone is familiar with BTBAM's previous releases (self-titled, The Silent Cirus and Alaska) and was expecting something pretty much the same will be surprised by colors. The band personally described the album as "adult contempory proggressive death metal" which is pretty much the only way to describe it. After I saw the studio update on youtube, I thought it sounded like it was going to be another alaska, but I was wrong. The album is actually a 64 minute long song cut in to 7 song which take up 8 tracks (one of them is two parts). The music itself is overwhelming, it is more of a musical experience then a tradintional album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really well written an cover a range of topics but seem to revolve around humanity. The last song on the album "White Walls" is pure lyrical genius, I believe that it is talking about their growth as a band and individual musicians and how it seems that people are trying to become musicians for the fame and money no tfor the love of the music. This line really struck me "This is all we have when we die/It's what's left of us when we die/We will be remembered for this." The singer is also quite skilled he can deliver very powerful screams and growls while still having an almost haunting clean voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to anythin gelse I have ever heard in my life, it ranges from death metal to country, it feels so different compared to other BTBAM albums but I can still without a doubt recognise that it is them. The most impressive song on the album is the album itself, but since that doesnt't really count probably ants of the sky, prequel to the sequel and white walls. If this was lost or stolen I would buy it again even if it the price was riduculusly higher then when I forst bought it. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: 2icdude, on october 12, 2007

Sound: There is most likely no other band that encompasses as many different genres in one album than Between the Buried and Me does in it's most recent release, "Colors". They stay true to their technical progressive metal roots, but branch into others such as jazz, hardcore (yeah pretty much similar to metal), emo, alternative, grunge, '80s rock (hair metal and arena rock), classical guitar and some classical piano, elecronic, acoustic, some Indian sounding stuff (sorry I don't know the actual name), polka/waltz, and just straight up rock. This album, while it is predominantly metalcore, has something that everyone can enjoy. This makes it even more unique. BTBAM has been taking leaps and bounds since their first self-titled release in 2002. This EP contained several shining moments and flashes of brilliance throughout, but out of the 8 tracks I would only consider 3 or so very strong. The others are good as well but sometimes hard to sit through, as the shortest song clocks in at 4:52 and the longest at 9:27. However, only two members remain from that original BTBAM. Their next two releases, "The Silent Circus" and "Alaska", in 2003 and 2005 respectively, were significantly better than each's predecessor. Although the production quality of "Alaska" has been criticized, this album was a breakthrough for the band. Standout tracks from these two albums: Mordecai, All Bodies, Alaska, Backwards Marathon, and Selkies: The Endless Obsession. Selkies features arguably the greatest solo of all time. Well, it's my favorite at least, and if BTBAM was more mainstream and widely known this solo would give any randy rhoads or steve vai solo a run for it's money. Now we reach "Colors". You get the sense that with this album, Between the Buried and Me has finally moved from a band striving for greatness and recognition to the upper echelon of all metal. Each individual member of BTBAM uses his skill to his full potential on this album. Tommy has an incredible scream and uses his falsetto and full voice more on this album with a very strong result. He often uses it for a melodic background on top of quiet guitarwork, and the effect is fantastic. Paul and Dustie.. what can I say about them, they are technically as good as any guitarist you can name and can play any genre they want and make it sound amazing. Paul even does some solid backup vocals behind Tommy at times. Dan, the bassist, moves his fingers up and down the neck so quickly you'd think it was a guitar and shows off his speed and overall prowess on the song "Viridian". This song might make you cry, a blend of jazz chords and stunning beauty and calm, as Dan's runs up and down the neck fit perfectly, making this song incredible. And Blake, the drummer, well he keeps tempo better than a metronome does lol and pulls off complex time signatures, super fast blast beats, and mind numbing fills with apparent ease. Overall, the band weaves an extremely tight sound into a seamless wave of intricate structures and beautiful melody into the album we now know as "Colors". This is literally true: although the album is divided into 8 songs, each song loops into the next without a break in any sound. If you're not watching your ipod/cd player/itunes/whatever other thing you use to play music, you will probbly miss the switch into a new song. I love this band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album seem to be written about the general shittiness of the human race. On the final epic song of the album, Tommy writes: "The monsters are made, and we have proven that we will be one of them/The whores take the stage, flash our skills, gotta draw 'em in/gotta keep 'em on their toes/don't show them how you truly are, who would want honesty." This pretty much sums up the overall theme of the words to most songs. Although there are hints of hope, as in The Decades of Statues: "Live life/you have all helped me break from this/ the few times relaxation steps in bringing me a peaceful place", Tommy focuses mainly on how mankind seems to be spiraling downward into selfishness, corruption, superficiality, and a negative programmed routine that seems unbreakable. However, the lyrics are written very poetically and the flow is great. If Tommy's lyrics were not so pessimistic, and optimistic instead he would be a world famous motivational speaker. I give them an 8 because the message is so sad but they are definitely powerful and inspiring which is the mark of a great lyricist. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Between The Buried And Me's best album yet, hands down. Tops tracks: Ants of the Sky, Viridian, White Walls, Sun of Nothing, and Foam Born. Well that's 5 of the 8 tracks lol. The total time for Sun Of Nothing, Ants Of The Sky, and White Walls is a hefty 38:12. When you read this you may shudder, because your previous experiences with songs that are over 10 minutes is that they are repetitive and get extremely boring after the 5th minutes or so but no so with these songs. Every minute of each song is jammed with vivid riffery (yeah I made up a word so what), energized screams, intense buildups, and enchanting waves of sonic goodness. Yeah look how good my adjectives are. Yes, if I lost the album I would buy a new one, maybe two just for good measure. I recommend this album to everyone, as it can be enjoyed by people of all shapes and sizes. Especially to any guitar players: this album will give you a whole new perspective of how a guitar can be used in music. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: bighugejake, on november 01, 2007

Sound: Everything on this album tops standards of even some of the best professionals in the business. All of the melodies, breakdowns, guitar solos, percussion, keyboards and growls are made into one perfect mesh of brilliant creativity. This record definitely deserves to win some awards. There hasn't been an album this good in a long time, maybe since I've been alive. I haven't stopped listening to it since September 18th. // 10

Lyrics: You have to buy this album to fully appreciate the lyrics. They are much deeper than the ordinary metal-esc lyrics you here now-a-days. They touch on issues of society, personal differences and psychological dilemmas. Tommy's "singing" has definately changed over the years, since their humble beginnings in 2000. It's gone from a stressed, high-tension squeal to a more heavy lower growl. The singing passages are nothing short of amazing. Truly, the vocals in this album are a show of exceptional skill beyond the reach of the average metal band. // 10

Overall Impression: No one can compare to how great they are. My favorite track list: Ants Of The Sky, Foam Born, Sun Of Nothing, Viridian, White Walls, Prequel To The Sequel (guest vocals by Adam from Fear Before...), Informal Glutony. I would run to the store and steal it out of someones hand if this were stolen from me or lost. To tell you the truth I took it from a guy while he put it down to get money. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 05, 2007

Sound: These guys are hardcore/deathcore/death metal. There music is very well placed and taken seriously. The creation in this CD is well written and recorded, Different styles are used in each song and lyrics they write and play. I'd say this is one of there best albums yet, Different styles, riffs and soloing. And the best part there being there selfs, They have some funny song names and lyrics and the best of it it sounds good at the same time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are somewhat explicit as well as some violence, but each song has a meaning to it, different styling and sayings. The lyrics fit the music as well as there own style. The singer's skills are one of the best I have heard, he has different tones and he only screams no clean vocals that he does maybe some backup singers in the back but oh boy he really has some talent in screaming. In some songs he says funny stuff and just being himself. He's one of the best vocalists I have heard yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I cannot compare these guys, these guys sound so different then any other band I have listened to they do not sound like anyone else they sound so different. The impressive songs have to be the soloing and riffs and the best of it the vocals. I love how they sound different then any other band, There music is outstanding, they are best to be seen in live also. I dislike some songs and lyrics for some sound the same as the others. If this CD ever gets stolen I will buy it again and for a friend to, this is one of the best CDs I have bought yet, I recommend this CD to anyone who loves death metal and a different tone of music. // 9

Colors Reviewed by: MachineHeart, on december 11, 2007

Sound: This is going to be the hardest album to reivew, because I find this album flawless. I've been into between the buried and me since the silent circus, seen them three times, and when colors came out I was beyond psyched because I knew it was going to be amazing, but I didn't kno it was going to be that good. The sound? I guess I'll start out by saying BTBAM is generally a prog metal band with hardcore influences. Very technical. And you can tell especially on Colors they are heavily influcend by bands such as King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, and Pink Floyd. I mean I showed the album to my dad who hates metal and screaming and whatnot and he loved the album cause it represented a lot of those influences. But this band, after the release of Colors, cannot be categorized anymore. They have created the most beautiful album I have ever heard. This sound and production of the record is incredible. The album starts out with its first track and is just a nonstop epic journey until the end. The sound is effing incredible. // 10

Lyrics: Tommy is a great lyricsist, but not in a Keith Buckley (ETID) sense, more because he is one of few lyric writers that has been able to fall back on his own style of writing. Most the songs are about simple things that he wanted to write about. Example, Foam Born (both) are just about BTBAMs progression as a band. White Walls is generally the same, talking about how they started with nothing, and now they will have made a mark on music forever with thier music. Ants Of The Sky is about tommy watching a bunch of people walking around in an airport. It's cool stuff, and songs like prequel to the sequel are stories, and give you a very good sense of imagery in your head. // 10

Overall Impression: When I buy a CD, I either categorize it as a cd, aka a compliation of songs by an artist, or an album, which is one flowing musical compostion. In my opinion this is BTBAMs first album. Everything has a general flow and there is no repition. They have broken down millions of barriers releasing this album, and I don't believe anyone in any similar genre can touch them, including prog, metal, hardcore, shred, etc. Best songs of this album are all of them. Don't burn this, buy it because the listening experience wouldn't be the same with sloppy stopping to switch tracks in between songs. When I first heard it I thought I was still on track one when track 4 came on. It's just an amazing listening experience. Every song has there amazing part that you will want to hear over and over again. They've done so much crazy shit on the record, from sweep breakdowns, to accordian stuff, to redneck breakdowns, so shredtastic solos, and on and on and on. If you appreciate music for it's complxity, no matter what genre you listen to, you will somehow be able to appreciate this album. And you will love it if you are already a BTBAM fan. I would buy it as many times as needed. And I cannot say that about any other album I have ever heard, and I listen to a lot of music. Flawless dudes, I loved it and love it everytime I hear it. Thank you so much for creating such a work of art. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: flyingsquirrel, on january 07, 2008

Sound: This album's sound is real different from any other I heard, but in a good way. It differs from previous albums from the band, but I consider it a evolution, they were already very good, but they got even better. They obviously got influenced by Pink Floyd, and "alike" bands. I hear some psychedelic in there, some Dream Theater-esque stuff, they took up a whole bunch of genres and influences and put all that on a single CD, with an awesome result. The only genre I could find for this CD, is progressive-psychedelic-death-hardcore-metal, yeah, I made it up. Overall, this album sounds amazing, it's the kind of thing that you don't go in song by song, but my favorites are really Informal Gluttony (the intro is amazing), and Ants Of The Sky. I'm not giving this a straight ten, just cause I really like to serious headbanging material (stuff like parkway drive that you can mosh to, and sing along with it and stuff). But this really sounds amazing, I listened to it at least 20 times already (in it's integrity) and I still love it. // 9

Lyrics: I didn't spend much time looking at the lyrics, but I opened the little book for that review, and the lyrics are really different, they look a bit weird on paper, but when mixed in with the music, it all sounds pretty great. Tommy Rogers's growl is still as awesome, his clean lyrics are also great (they make me think of Pink Floyd for some reason). I never really liked music where the emphasis is put on the singer, I like it when everything is a whole. Well with Colors I've been served. The lyrics are not soo loud you don't hear anything else, there's a whole bunch of instrumental parts, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't really compare this to other artists. But compared to their previous records, they really improved. The mix really got better, in Alaska it seems everything got screwed up, the music was still real good, but the mix was badly done. In Colors that got fixed up. The most impressive songs, like I said earlier, this is not a song by song thing, and I like to consider it as a 1 hour long song, but Informal Gluttony and Ants Of The Sky really cut it through for me. The guitar work is really awesome, the drummer is still as crazy (well I wouldn't even call him a drummer, 'cause I hear a bunch of percussions in this record). The bassist is really good. The synth work is often in the background, but it adds a nice touch, and I'm pretty sure the record would sound empty without it. Everything is important in this album, every little thing brings something, and it makes Colors. If it were stolen/lost, I'd definately hunt down the bastard and get my album back, then hand him a copy. Overall I really recommend this album to anyone who listens to any kind of heavy music, and others. As long as you have a bit of a open mind, your gonna like this. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: Stalingrad, on february 19, 2008

Sound: Between the Buried and Me are one of the most revolutionary bands of this decade and probably of all time. Their innovation and courage to go places that others will not go with their music makes them one of the most respected groups around. Their sound is near indescribable, going from pure death metal chaos to jazz to Middle-Eastern inspired sounds and also South American influences. The overall sound that comes from this album screams at you with full brutality and then can slowly soothe you almost to sleep before repeating the process. Song after song the whole album never gets old and seems to suck you in and never let you go. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very different in each song and always leave the listener to create their own interpretations, but also have interpretations that the band knows and gladly share with anyone who can truly understand it. The themes go from making yourself a better person to condemning the social standard of our everyday lives. They have outdone themselves in every way lyric-wise and show that they have matured very much along the way. // 8

Overall Impression: Colors takes every thing that is great about all of their earlier albums, pumps them up on steroids, gives them a cannon, and lets the music blow everyone away. This is a musical masterpeice and is in the same rank as albums such as Dark Side of the Moon and Black Sabbath's first album. This is a great album in every way and I recommend it to everyone that wants something new in this cookie-cutter world of current music. // 9

Colors Reviewed by: danilo19, on april 01, 2008

Sound: Between The Buried And Me is a group of extremely talented musicians that put full use to any musical technique and theory available to them. These guys are some of the best musicians I can think of in metal right now. This CD is mostly progressive metal but it contains a lot jazz elements, a bit of saloon like square dance stuff, and much more. This CD really impressed me. I loved their old CD, Alaska, but this CD shows a huge amount of progress in their writing and puts Alaska to shame. The use of odd time signatures makes the CD a lot of fun and they really know how to do them right. // 10

Lyrics: I don't really care about lyrics for most bands but the lyrics on this album are actually really great. They give you such a vivid image and the music fits perfect. The singer doesn't really do anything super impressive as far as range or anything goes but there's no one else I could imagine in his spot. He puts a lot of thought behind what he says and how he does it. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is way better than any of BTBAM's other albums and I own all of them. for me, the most impressive song from this album is White Walls. This song is a 14 minute epic piece of music. This shows BTBAM at their best. The use of time signatures, polyrythms, harmony, melody, varying moods, and the solo guitar for the last 3 minutes is the perfect way to end an album. Paul Waggoner, the lead guitarist, really puts on a show through the album. I love every minute of this CD but it took me time to appreciate it. If it were stolen I would immedately go out and get it again. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: Magero, on july 07, 2008

Sound: I will admit, I was a very latecomer to BTBAM. When "Colors" was released, I was not one of the people cheering and saluting and praising it as the greatest metal album of all time. In fact, after listening to it for the first time, I was a vehement protester to it's greatness. I thought it was bland, uninspired, technical for the sake of being technical and just not worth the hype. Then something happened. I'm not sure what, but after listening to the album more, and more, it grew. My dislike of the album faded until I was joining the masses, praising it's greatness. Because it is. It's a brilliant, masterpiece of an album. I could go on, but it's nothing you wouldn't have read before. So, moving on. BTBAM have always been a band that refuses to stick to genres. Their earliest work, while labelled as metalcore, resembles more progressive death metal than anything else and as the band went on, the influences grew. From the power metal synths and riffing on "The Primer" off of "Alaska", to the brutal, technical death metal riffing of "Autodidact" off the same album. The band just absorbs influences and reworks them into their own style. A true progressive band if there ever was. Never was this more apparent than on "Colors". The band weaves and swirls through Dream Theater-esque technical "wankery" through to Beatles-esque piano interludes and even, I kid you not, a country "hick" breakdown. It's remarkable how well BTBAM meld it all together. The entire album flows as one giant song and from the classic heavy metal influenced riffing on "Ants Of The Sky" to the sweep-picked intro of "Prequel to the Sequel" to the jazzy bass solo of "Viridian", it all flows perfectly. Not once does the album feel jarring or too stop-start. A personal favourite section being the slow, melencholy interlude in "Ants of the Sky" where singer Tommy Rogers croons softly over a wall of dissonant chords that just "bleed" emotion. It sounds wanky, but the album really spoke to me. // 10

Lyrics: Tommy Rogers is a fantastic vocalist. End of story. No matter how you look at it, he is technically a gifted vocalist. Amazing range, from low gutteral growls to a black metal-esque shriek, combined with his amazing clean range, make for one hell of a singer. The lyrics on the album are quite interesting, as they almost read/sound like the ramblings of a mental patient, or a dying man's last words, especially on the first few songs. They're so intricate and twisting, it's hard to know where to begin really. Lines like "It's a must these days, for the colors are fading, enclosed in a space of soothing sounds. Waking in my own movie..." make me think of a man staring out at the landscape as it changes and morphs from his home to his tomb. And the opening lines from "Ants of the Sky", "My teeth taste funny today... they seem more jagged than normal, I've been told that I have been grinding them like gears during my dream hours..." come across as the confusion, the errant fear of what's happening around. All in all, the lyrics are unlike most, but then again, BTBAM have always been about being "unlike most". // 9

Overall Impression: Colors is by far and away, my favourite of BTBAM's albums. They seem to have finally hit that peak they've worked towards on the last few albums. The culmination of all their previous work and influences. Their "Led Zeppelin IV" if I may. The band have reached into their instruments and pulled out a brilliant album. To be fair, I blame this album for my loss of track of time when doing odd jobs around the house, as I'll leave it on repeat and then find I've lost 4 hours. Again, to be fair, the album has it's moments that seem, a tad forced. Sections in "Informal Gluttony" seem, well yes, forced. Like they don't really belong, but they serve their purpose in the end. Summing up, BTBAM have really pulled out all the stops on this record. Creating a whirlwind of creative energy that just surges forth into this masterpiece of an album. To be brutally honest, I still don't feel it deserves "best album of 2007", but it's damn close to it. // 9

Colors Reviewed by: jibran, on october 24, 2008

Sound: This band has set it's progressive footprint in the world of hardcore-based death metal. This North Carolina Quartet has already made a name for itself with the 2005 release of Alaska, which was a dense furious mess of metal brilliance. Now fast forward to present, we come to BTBAM's new release; Colors. Colors is not your ordinary progressive death metal record. This 63 minute leviathan, is a world of morphing meters, growls, breakdowns, whirling synths and seemingly endless shredding. The album opens up with the fairly mellow 'Foam Born (a): The Backtrack', it features vocalist/keyboardist Tommy Rogers crooning alogside a sombre piano, midway during the song the rest of the band kicks and plays like a modern version of Queen. Suddenly the bottom falls out and the band blasts beats and growls into infinity. This album is actually one continuous piece, and features the most variety found in metal album. As for the music in general, everything is skillfully performed; from a tiny bass-fill or brutal blast-beats. The rhythm section which comprises of Drummer Blake Richardson and Bassist Dan Briggs is exceptional, they serve as solid backing for guitarists Dustie Waring and Paul 'Holy-crap! ' Waggoner. All the musicians are versatile and stretch the album to it's limits, yes, this album manages to fit in a redneck-induced hoedown. The genres featured on the album are quite extensive but may irritate the light listener as one may not be in the mood for Italian-Fisharmonica while listening to a considerably heavy band, but most people seem to get over that and embrace those factors. True, some of the transitions are unexpected and down-right random; this will truly challenge the listnener at the beginning. Richardson's drums stand out on every track with the exception of 'Viridian', nonetheless this is no big loss as the fantastic bass solo by Briggs is astonishing. Waggoner and Waring have completely outdone themselves and proved themsleves a formidable duo in rock-guitar, with chunky riffs and some beautiful leadwork. Though the album is not truly abundant with solos, the 14 minute closing track 'White Walls' has a solo which will most likely make your jaw fall through the centre of the earth. Other stand out songs include 'Ants of the sky' and 'Sun of Nothing', which both clock over ten minutes. Beside the shiny fretwork and skin-bashing, the album does start to get repetetive at points (you can only listen to 'chug-chug-chugga' so many times). The breakdowns are considerably drone-like at points, and only seem to be there to fill in time. // 9

Lyrics: Rogers growls are as menacing and consistent as ever, and his clean vocals are still astounding. The lyrics are complicated and hard to understand but mostly stand as protest pieces against modern society and globalisation while more pesonal issues are tackled in 'White-walls.' // 9

Overall Impression: This album, even objectively speaking is a major milestone in music. It proposes a radical concept and adresses it with grace and skill, something that has barely been achieved by most artists with the exception of bands like Opeth and Genghis Tron. Colors is truly exceptional, and will be remembered for a long, long time. // 10

Colors Reviewed by: Mazzakazza, on november 27, 2008

Sound: Between the Buried and Me are one of the most versatile acts around at the moment, and 'Colors' showcases their level of technical skill, musicianship and the variety of genres and styles they manage to incorporate successfully into their music. 'Colors' demonstrates the spectrum (no pun intended, honest) of music that BTBAM strive to present - from Foam Born to White Walls, beginning to end, the album treats listeners to the mind bending rhythmic poundings of 'The Decade of Statues', the eerie, then claustrophobic 'Informal Gluttony', the dark and brooding 'Sun of Nothing' and so much more. The band's ability to switch between heaviness you may expect from a death metal group, to quieter melodic passages, with rarely a noticeable jarring of two is incredible; never is the listener jolted by the change, with perhaps the exception of a country break-down in 'Ants of the Sky' This exposes the band's sense of humour, along with their none-too-serious (I don't -think-) declaration of Colors as 'adult contemporary progressive death metal', and 'new wave polka grunge'. The manic style in which it is played in, however, also lays undertones somewhat darker, along with lyrics which in my interpretation are representative of insanity and a loss of identity. // 9

Lyrics: As incredible musicians, I find that BTBAM are let down by their vocals. I think that the vocalist has a brilliant voice, but only when singing cleanly: When he is screaming, he is often lost in the mix, overpowered by the guitars. Personally, I find this quite irritating, as I like to be able to hear lyrics, but, on the other hand, the quality of Roger's screaming is below par. The lyrics themselves do not fall down, however. Edgy, thought-provoking, and sharp as a tack. Not always coherent, never straightforward, the lyrics are challenging, but brilliant. // 7

Overall Impression: 'Colors' is breathtaking. Without trying to sound pretentious, it really is a musical landscape. Incredibly emotive pieces, performed by incredible musicians. For a guitarist, Waggoner and Waring are inspirations; two extremely talented players, who are very clean and precise in their playing, and use a range of styles from jazz to progressive and death metal without this sounding forced. 'Colors' presents difficult listening at times. Not in the sense that you have to force yourself to listen to it, it's far too compelling for that to be the case, but some parts seem very sinister. Compared to their last non-covers release, 'Alaska', BTBAM have taken huge steps forward, something I didn't think was possible, when considering Alaska as an album. But, I did feel there were a couple of filler tracks on Alaska, whereas here, every single note is full of meaning. The level of technicality attained is tremendous, best experienced in the final track 'White Walls', where you will be blown away. If I had to make one recommendation about this album, it would be to listen to it all in one sitting; the flow, and recurring motifs make themselves evident, and I'm pretty sure this was how it was supposed to be enjoyed. Here's three words to sum up the album. Beautiful. Aggressive. Stunning. // 9

More Between The Buried And Me reviews rating latest review