The Silent Circus Review

9.8
 9.8
 9.7
The Silent Circus Reviewed by: eyehatepop89, on january 24, 2005

Sound: The sound of this band throughout the entire is never the same. It's an awesome mix of so many different types of genres of music. You could probably be a fan of any type of music and enjoy at least one part of this album. Very refreshing to hear a band take the lead like this. The lead guitarist, Paul Waggoner, is one very talented musician. Sweeps and all, even without the sweeps, still one very awesome guitarist. Highlight songs for this album would be all of them. They are all very good. // 10

Lyrics: These are some of the best lyrics that I've heard. They can be very emotional yet oh so full of anger. Topics that are go from the love of someone then taking a 360* turn and going to full on Cannibal Corpse-uber gore-kill-and-rape-your-dead-body type lyrics. The singer Tommy damn son. That's all I can say. This cat can sing and can growl like a soombitch. // 10

Overall Impression: This album totally tops other bands over in almost every aspect of music. From straight musicianship-Dream-Theatre-type breaks to straight, out loud, blast beating, polyrythmic riffs (ex: 'Aesthetic'). And here is pretty much a musically summary of the album: 01. Lost Perfection: Coulrophobia - awesome creepy ass intro, straight into a death metal style vocals and riffs. Then at 1:12 it goes really emotional, screamo if you will. Then at 1:49 guitars and bass take a small break and go into a hardcore type riff. Then at 3:11 a surf beat break, followed by Pantera like riff at 3:2. Then back to the hardcore type at 3:57. - 5 02. Lost Perfection: Anablephobia - continuation of the 1st song. awesome drum intro. Death metal type stuff until 1:02. Then hardcore until 2:19. Awesome trading the guitars and basses do then pretty much it's a revisitation of pt. I but with guitars playing solos and a bunch of distorted screaming 03. Camilla Rhodes - awesome intro. Very technical. Then death metal at: .35 then hardcore at: .43. The lyrics are also very good. Still hardcore at the moment. Then the hook comes out at around 1:43. Effects go until 1:56. Followed by some more hardcore. Awesome part at around 2:20. Death metal at 3:07 about there. Continued on until 3:28 then it's hardcore. Awesome ending too. Pretty good song - 4 1/2 04. Mordecai - awesome ass intro followed by extreme death metal part then a Dream Theatre break at: .33. Followed by awesome leads by paul. Awesome chromatics at: .48. Bass slide at 1:08. Followed by Emperor type part until 1:41. Then cool little break. The 1st hook of the song is at 1:45 - 2:07 then straight into the infamous clean part (main hook). Awesome clean vocals done by Tommy as well as the keyboards he plays. Clean guitar solo starts at 3:15. One of the best damn solo in clean I've heard. Ends at 3:33 then commences the 3rd and final hook until 4:12 when the distorted solo starts. Great great song. It doesn't matter that it's their hit song. Greatest song I've heard in a long time. I'd give it a damn 100 if I could, But I give it a five plus instead. - 5+ 05. Reaction - strange song. Very ethreal. Awesome ambient keyboards done by Tommy and great background noises to. Very awesome. This song is more like an interlude so it's good for what it is. - 4 3/4 06. Shevanel, Take 2 - The best and only soft song on the album with only clean vocals and only clean guitars. Very emotional. It calms you down. great leads too. But it's only a false cover of what is yet to come. - 5+ 07. Ad A Dglgmut - possibly the heaviest song on here, yet it still has a soft, melodious break in it. Awesome clean vocals. The only thing I didn't like was that even reading the lyric book I couldn't understand what he was saying until the clean part, but it was still good. Very, very rude awakening of what you were starting to get into with Shevanel. Awesome death metal intro. Blast beating death until about: .59 then a hardcore break until 1:28. Straight into a death/hardcore type at 1:30 then small solo at 1:53. Back to hardcore break at 2:04. Dream Theatre break at 2:18. Then black metal part at 2:23 until the melody at 3:05. The solo at the beggining of it is really awesome. Very very good. Singing starts at around 4:28. The melody continues until around 5: 51 then straight back into hardcore/death metal. Awesome leads. Then cool break at 6:27 then into hardcore. Death metal at 7:00 andstays that way until the end. - 5+ 08. Destructo Spin - great creepy intro followed by metalcore/death metal type riff until: .50. Then hardcore break after that until 1:19 into black metal at 1:21. Jazz piano chord at 1:41 into hardcore/death metal again. Mainly death metal afterwards until 2:57 then into metalcore riff until 3:13 then back to black/death metal until 3:29. Then 3:37 Black metal/emo/hardcore break afterwards until the end. - 5 09. Aesthetic - awesome intro. The song has a break that is very Meshuggah like. I'll let you hear the song yerself so you can hear its awesomeness. - 5++ 10. The Need For Repetition - I won't describe these last 2 songs because you need to hear them that's how awesome they are. This song has a probably one the best ending themes I've ever heard. Secret track. 10. I Ain't No Goddamn Woman! - not really sure if that's the title of the song but it's at the ver end of track 10, at around 11:16 to be exact. Very ridiculous, hilarious vocals but it's also serious because of the shred work of Paul Waggoner. Great great track to jam out to or to just have a good laugh. I love the whole album itself. Excellently written songs by greatly trained musicians who also have a sense of humor and a sensibility of making music chaotic and creates confusion while still making great hooks and melodic parts. The only thing I hated about this album it that there were only 10 tracks (well 11 if you count Goddamn Woman), but nuntheless, great album. If someone stole it I would find them, beat them senseless then take a nail covered baseball bat and sodomize them with it and tell them to buy their own damn copy. // 10

The Silent Circus Reviewed by: carrotcake, on july 14, 2007

Sound: Between the Buried and Me is an amazing and my all time favorite band. Their music is so creative in every way. They can go anywhere from hardcore metal to soft, easy listening. BTBAM always stood out when I first heard them. I always thought they sounded different than most metal bands out their. The guitarists Paul Waggoner and Dusty Waring are amazing. Their playing is flawless. Same with the bassist Dan Briggs, he is so amazingly talented at the bass, and you can't leave out their drummer: Blake Richardson. He is always playing the right beats at all times. This bands overall sound is amazing, that's all that needs to be said. // 10

Lyrics: BTBAM's lyrics were always something I could relate to, every single song had its own meaning, and in the booklet that came with the CD Tommy and Paul explained each song's meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: Between The Buried And Me is just all around amazing. The guitar playing, bass playing, drums. This album does compare to other albums. I think it's even with Alaska, but it definitly beats BTBAM's self-titled. It's so well thought out with every song. Containing different genres in some songs. If you don't have this album, go out and buy it! You'll be proud of yourself. // 10

The Silent Circus Reviewed by: cire sirrah, on february 01, 2007

Sound: The sound of BTBAM is a combination of hard metalcore chaotic rhythm complemented with soft and jazzy sequences and musical innovations not only for the metal genre but many others. When I first heard their music it didn't click with me at first. I didn't know what to think because I had never really heard any thing like it. This was one of those albums that grows on you (or at least for me). It is so technical and harsh at times but so simple and beautiful enough to make your mother cry. The opening song Lost Perfection: Coulrophobia starts out with a screaching high note on the under lots of distortion. Then the riff comes to hault and a huge growl is let out followed by some extreme snare tapping. Riffs are exchanged throughout song guitar and bass alike. The song keeps a steady fast past untill it is interupted by a "chuga chuga" type breakdown with underlieing doulbe bass beats. The next song Lost Perfection: Anablephobia is just a continuation of the previous song. The 3rd song is camilla rhodes. Despite the pretty name this brootal song is littered with insanely fast parts as well as excruciating breakdowns decerated with pinch harmonics and other neat things. Mordecai. Some people say just about sums up BTBAM and I couldn't really agree more, being mordecai is my favorite song of the album. The song begins with a peculiar drum intro lasting about a second or two. Immediately following the intro comes a deathly growl lead by some extremely fast drums. Different chord variations come and go for about 2 minutes. All the "hard" stuff fades out and welcomes in a pleasant clean guitar riff, similar to what song might find in a prog. Rock which is definitely one of there infulences. Then comes in a sweet singing voice almost alien to the previous songs. Surprisingly it is all the same volcalist doing the singing and growling. The soothing solo is amplified and then comes in distorted chords under the now distorded guitar solo. The solo follows the same riff untill all is faded out into the next song, reaction which is an odd humming sound with people whispering queitly. The next notable song ad a dglgmut interupts a quiet acoustic song called shevanel, take 2 (which is a continuation of shevanel cut a flip, a song from their debut album self titled). Ad a Dglgmut Kils the mood with devastating screams and chuga chuga style breadowns followed by a quick sweeping solo and finally finished by a calm outro of singing once again. After aesthetic which has a nice little palm muted guitar under sweeping guitar tapping intro and interesing time signatures and rhythms comes the need for repetition. I think it's one of the stranger songs of the album and not very happy at all to to say the least. It starts with slow, grudgey chords and keeps slow whirling rhythm which is just plain heavy. Repeated lyrics like "f--king whore, f--king whore of disgust" add to the unpleasant mood. After about five or six minutes of silence a hidden comical song with guitar sweeping and some guy oddly shouting "I'm a man, not a goddamn woman." Come on. I guess in the midsts of all the hatred and disgust there is a comical ending. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics as a whole I guess (I'm not a lyrical expert) are just exploiting the corruptions in society and and and how this "countries turning to shit." And as for the volcalist and instruments alike I think there are superb. The volcalist, Tommy Rogers has amazing range and a great voice, I think. You can also check out his tech-no side project, Giles. And the guitar, bass, druming are all great as well. I have seen BTBAM twice thus far and I cound'nt be more pleased. // 10

Overall Impression: BTBAM is definitely one of the best or infact the best band in their genre. They are for fans of bands such as Every time a die, the number 12 looks like you, and norma jean. Key songs from the album I would have to say are the lost perfection songs, mordecai, and ad a dglgmut. But they are all good in there own respects. BTBAM is definitely one of those bands you may not instantly like but you will evenually like. But you down even have to be into metalcore and death metal to even like BTBAM, they attract all styles of music and all kinds of people. But then again it's all about personal perference, right? Be sure to check out BTBAM's other albums too, Between The Buried And Me, and Alaska. // 9

The Silent Circus Reviewed by: XXm3t@lXX, on september 11, 2007

Sound: The sound off of this album is absolutely amazing. The quality is great. The guitarists are just great as well, they used thier sweep picking skills to thier advantage. It's a metal masterpiece. Mordecai is one of the best songs on the album, the bands talent really sticks out on that song; going from heavy to slow and melodic. The song shevanel take 2 was great also. I just love the way the sound on this album is really well put together. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Silent Circus are brilliant, and they flow with the music perfectly. The vocalist can do so much with his voice; from singing beautifully, to screaming low and high. Thier lyrics are just absolutely beautiful. The whole album is a great. // 10

Overall Impression: Between The Buried And Me are what I would call real musical geniouses. If anyone has said we don't have any guitar heros any more, they were wrong. This band is going to be a legendary band our kids kids will look back on and wish they could be around now to see them play. I love how they sweep pick in nearly every song, making it sound incredible, not only can they do it, but they can do it well. I can honestly say there is nothing on this album I do not like. If this CD were stolen from me, I would Most definately buy it, and while I'm at it, I'd buy Alaska as well. // 10

The Silent Circus Reviewed by: ibanez s series, on january 16, 2009

Sound: when I first heard this album it just blew me away. with the heaviest complex riffs to the scoreing leads and to the most beautiful sounds ever created from a prog. metal band. I really love how they expanded their music by playing all types of different styles like metal, hardcore, thrash, hardcore punk, and jazz. they did a good job putting all that in. I also love how every song sounds different. I mean what more can you say they have two fantastic guitarists paul and dusty but nick actually recorded the silent cirus. tommy rogers an insane singer and also very good at singing mellow vocals. and the bass and the drums. // 10

Lyrics: the lyrics are great!!! every song talks about a different thing. my favorite set of lyrics from the songs are camilla rhodes, mordecai, and espically the need for repetition. tommy rogers is a very good singer I love his screaming voice it just sounds different from other screamers and it sounds great. I love how he can do high, low, and mid screams, and also he can sing the cleanest vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: in my opinion I think this album barely compares to other albums espically colors but we are not talking about that lol. this band is definatley starting to create their own type of style.I just love the way they bring in all sorts of styles, there is really no negative excpet that the recording was kinda of bad but that's ok that's why they play live shows haha.if it were stolen I would find the person who has it and take it back. if it were lost I'd probably just buy another one. // 9

The Silent Circus Reviewed by: hatchetman515, on august 12, 2009

Sound: Between The Buried and Me's "The Silent Circus" is simply amazing. The lyrics all have their own little story connected to them, which is just great. The song "Ad A Dglgmut" has the best way you could possibly describe music in general. The timing for the song "Aesthetic" is remarkable because you can definitely see how they put so much effort into a song they thought deserved it. Mordecai is another very good song do to the fact that it has more of a progressive feeling than any song they have done. What is also very inspiring is how they can go from heavy to soft and back to heavy again, and still keep the sound just beautiful. This is a one of a kind album. It is a definite must for any Prog Metal Fan such as myself. // 10

Lyrics: Tommy Rogers has the most amazing voice when it comes to music. He is, in my opinion, the best thing to happen to Prog Metal. His words in "Ad A Dglgmut" are the perfect ways of describing Prog Metal. He is an inspiration because of his choice lyrics. His words were perfectly in tact with the music. There is no better way of describing Tommy, than to just call him and all the guys of BTBAM, geniuses. // 10

Overall Impression: The Silent Circus is uncompilable to other albums. This is the perfect album in every sense. I love the album more than any other. There are virtually no mistakes or anything i dislike about it. I am just in love with the way they all sync their instruments in such a way that you are just amazed with the sound. The most impressive songs off this album are definitely "Aesthetic", "Ad A Dglgmut", and "Destructo Spin". If I lost this album, you can definitely be sure that the first place I am going, is Best Buy. BTBAM! // 10

More Between The Buried And Me reviews rating latest review