Blackened Sky Review

9.6
 9.9
 9.3
Blackened Sky Reviewed by: onlyonehere, on november 27, 2003

Sound: Biffy Clyro create an alt-rock sound combining heart felt guitar lines with crunchy distortion and unique sounds not used or thought up before. The sound is original and unique. Influences seem to be drawn from modern rock bands and the grunge era of Nirvana and Alice In Chains without actually managing to sound like them. The sound is untouched and simple guitar lines should be merited for being able to produce an original and innotive creation. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are fantastic and can be unfaulted. While they may not be traditional they manage to be original and catchy - catchy not being pop annoyingly catchy but it certainly manages to stay in your head after only one listen. // 10

Overall Impression: Biffy Clyro are the new wave of British alt-rock. They create a unique sound unheard of before and combine sense and senselessness all in one record. Standout tracks are 'The Go-Slow', 'Christophers River', 'Hero Management' and '57'. If I lost the CD I would certainly replace it as it is undoubtedly one of my favourite CDs in my collection. Lets hope this band gets the recognition they deserve. // 10

Blackened Sky Reviewed by: general_carpets, on december 19, 2005

Sound: Fast, ever changing riffs backed by a proper bassline (by proper, I mean the bassist aint just repeating the guitar chords, it adds something other than a sound level) and a complex set of drumming (bout as far as you can get from Meg White). Haunting echoe vocals. The tome ranges from a twangy Fender Strat solos focusing on a deep evoking grunge chord. Joy, Discovery and Invention ultimatly sums this tone up. No it doesnt sound to tasty on paper but beleive me it works. // 10

Lyrics: Gonna punish Simon for his screaming (he shuldn't scream) here but a damn good voice with a range that I envy. The vocals are cryptic and sometimes a bit nonsensical but hey, when does music needa good point. Imagery is the name of the games wth lots of 'love lost' and you feel the pain and broken promises. His and the other band members vocals mesh effortlessly with the music as if another musical instrument. They find the time to put a acapella track (having had the album for ages now I tend to skip this one to be honest but its a refreshing thing to be put on an album of this genre). // 9

Overall Impression: This was the first album in a long time to send shivers down my neck and leave me tingling. It is a devestating album that you instantly connect to and has since then caused me to get all their subsequent work. Work by a triplet of geniuses (if I had a wee bit of that talent). It's musical, lyrical and above all enjoyable to listen to. No other band can fill the space that I have for the Biffy. Get the album and join the legion of fans. Mon the Biffy? To damn right. // 10

Blackened Sky Reviewed by: soundcheck1, on november 22, 2007

Sound: This album stands out so much because Biffy Clyro have a completely unique sound. You can hear some elements drawn from bands like Nirvana but in reality they are nothing like Nirvana at all. What's great about this album is that you can tell all the songs are by the same band because of their style but you don't get that feeling that 'this song is the same as the one before'. The drums throughout the whole album are fantastic, the basslines are good and not just the same as the guitar like a lot of popular music. The guitaring really is great though. At a lot of points you're like, that's not one guitar! // 10

Lyrics: The high pitched screaming put me off a couple of the songs on this album at first, but I gave it a chance and it has grown on me. Works really well. Lyrically this album is absolutely amazing. I cannot fault it anywhere, Simon Neil is a great lyricist. Some of my favourite lyrics ever are by him. The vocal harmonies between Ben and Simon on this album are amazing as well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, along with Vertigo and Infinity are among my favourite albums ever. I cannot honestly pick out standout tracks on this album, they are all so amazing. Not a single bit of filler on the entire album. If this album was lost I'd most definitely buy it again. // 10

More Biffy Clyro reviews rating latest review