The Vertigo Of Bliss Review

Styles: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
 9.9
 9.8
The Vertigo Of Bliss Reviewed by: Guitar-God-Elf, on august 26, 2008

Sound: This is the second album from Scot Rockers Biffy Clyro, and considering Blackened Sky was amazing, it was always going to take something special to beat it, yet this manages to. The signature Biffy sound is hard to describe considering its originality, if I were to try I would say its raw, punchy, often awe-inspiring and exciting. Theres such an edge about Simon Neill's playing that just screams emotion, this is also evident in his live playing. This backed up by strong drumming, and groovy bass riffs used to augment the guitars creates an almost orchestral wall of sound. // 10

Lyrics: Simon Neill's lyrics are Perfect. They are filled with emotion and meaningfullness, this combined with great backing vocals from James Johnston (bass) an Ben Johnston (drums) really shows the lyrics in their best light. Simon's singing has really come on since Blackened Sky and is often the lead point in songs such as 'All The Way Down: Prologue Chapter I'. Just great. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is almost perfect, I'm a strong believer that nothing is ever perfect, yet I gave this a ten because I couldn't give it 9.9, and because this is as close to perfection as any album will get. The best songs on this album are 'Bodies in Flight' and 'All The Way Down: Prologue Chapter I'. If you havn't bought this album you should. // 10

The Vertigo Of Bliss Reviewed by: logan_in_flight, on november 28, 2003

Sound: This,the second album from the Scots alt-rockers,mixes great, original guitar sounds with a lot of unorthadox riffs. The result is amazing. Their sound is so unique, yet when you hear them, you just know it's them. Crunching guitars, Chugging bass lines and smashing drums make for a fantastic listen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on TVOB are astounding, very emotional, heartfelt, and original rolled in to one is very hard to come by these days. The stories Simon (singer and guitarist) tells with his lyrics makes me want to cry, they are just so true to his heart. Simon also has one of these voices that make the listener go weak at the knees. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best album I've got. Standout tracks include Bodies In Flight, Liberate The Illiterate/A mong Among Mingers, Eradicate The Doubt, and All The Way Down:Prologue Chapter 1. Well I lost this album and waited a week without listening to it, then found it again,and listened to nothing else for days. Made even better by the fact it was recorded in ONE DAY. If you don't own this you are missing out, go get it and support The Biffy!!! // 10

The Vertigo Of Bliss Reviewed by: Ripcord57, on november 28, 2003

Sound: If anyone has listened to the first album, it's completely different without losing its charm, passion and it still rocks. Simon Neil (singer songwriter) has oviously progressed phenominally in just one year. The guitar is absolutely awesome and is quite often in two simultaneous parts. Biffy Clyro is very hard to find a band to compare to but they admit influences from Nirvana, Alice in Chains and especially Far. Even though they sound nothing like them, (maybe exept far). VoB sees Biffy getting away from their quiet verse, loud chorus, winning formula. This album uses sounds that you wouldn't believe and that you especially wouldn't believe would fit but they do, to perfection. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are spread out between the three of them and sometimes has excellent three part harmonies. The lyrics are sometimes quite strange and random but are once again excellent and quite fitting to the mood of the song. The lyrics without sounding sappy and pathetic like some bands do, trying to sound meaningfull, actually portray a lot of emotion. // 10

Overall Impression: From a listeners point of view, the band had a potentially very hard time to match Blackened sky (Their first album) but they managed to beat it, 10 times over. With no weak tracks at the end (where the first album lets you down) this album have neared perfect almost to the extent of Radiohead's early stuff. The stand out tracks without naming he whole album has to be 'Toys toys toys choke toys toys', 'erradicate the Doubt', 'With Amlomb' and 'liberate the illiterate/a mong among mingers'. If you don't have this album, i strongly suggest you should buy it now. // 10

The Vertigo Of Bliss Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2004

Sound: Biffy Clyro's second album The Vertigo Of Bliss is more advanced as song- writers and musicians than their debut album (Blackened Sky). Lead guitar Simon Neill has progressed and his riffs and guitar fills are quite brilliant. Also drummer Ben Johnstone's drum fills are excellent and add alot to the album. The album is over an hour long, but there are very varied songs. For example - 'Bodies in Flight', launches into a full vocal assault of hardcore proportion. While the next song, 'The Ideal Height' gives an amazing combination of quirky riffs and user friendly chorus. The album is hugely strong and personally I don't dislike one song on the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as wrote by Simon Neill are brilliant and allways seem to feel of emotion. The lyrics allways suit the style of the music, for example the lyrics on the beautiful 'All the way down' echoe the haunting guitar work. Rarely vocals are spread out between all 3 members of the band - Simon Neill (Guitar), Ben Johnstone (Drums) and James Johnstone (Bass). These shared vocals add to songs like 'Questions and Answers. The vocals can 'scream as well as they can sing tenderly'. Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This album may be musically advanced to Blackened Sky, however if you're new to Biffy then Blackened sky might be more user - friendly. The standout songs are - 'The Ideal Height', 'Liberate the Illiterate', 'Questions and Answers', 'Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys' and 'All The Way Down'. The list shows that the album is strong, as I could have easily named more. If I lost this album I'd be down to the shops already. It is beautiful, it is tough and it's engaging. I could easily listen to this album without getting bored. This album is my second favourite album. It's amazing, buy it now. // 10

More Biffy Clyro reviews rating latest review