Sta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu Review

artist: bijelo dugme date: 11/24/2008 category: compact discs
Released: Dec 17, 1975
Genre: Hard Rock, Folk Rock
Label: Jugoton
ta bi dao da si na mom mjestu is the second LP from influential Yugoslav rock group Bijelo dugme, released in 1975.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Sta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu Reviewed by: Haris_rock, on november 24, 2008

Sound: This is a terrific record, in my humble opinion. I have the recent remastered CD issued by Croatia Record and I have to say the audio quality is really superb. The album is made of seven tracks, between 2 and 7 minutes, curiously with longest titles each as it's common in the first part of the band's discography. Sta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu is the second record of the Yugoslavian glory Bijelo Dugme, a band that justly can be considered at the top of the rock classic experience in that area. One of the members is also well known in the western countries: it's a certain Goran Bregović who was then at electric guitar. // 10

Lyrics: Musically, the album deserves it's own place in this site. It's a sort of mix between heavy prog and balkanic rythms thanks also to the wonderful vocals of the singer eljko Bebek. The opener is particularly strong and it's a short but intense ride toward a pompous majestic crescendo thanks to heavy guitar and moog synthesizer. Wonderful and exciting the final part. The keyboards element is not dominant and it's based, for the most part, on hammond organ. Fortunately, moog appears here and there giving tinges that only a heavy prog band knows how to do. Balkanik roots are also quite evident in the track Hop-Cup which is built upon a folkish rythm even if not too far from the general mood of the album. This is probably the most interesting quality of the record (rectius of the band) and it shows it's apotheosis in the self titled closer which features all the best: choral, pompous and majestic heavy prog alternating with softer parts with some sparse mediterranean flavours (the keyboards-flute-effect reminds me of traditional arias from Neaples). Marvellous and sad vocals for the band's high manifesto. Acoustic guitars in the opening and final sections give the sense of that pastirski rok (sheperd rock), expression used to describe their music during the seventies. The middle part of the album continues the similar formula of the explosive opener: Ne Gledaj Me Tako... and, above all, Pourite Konji Moji are simply superb and very well performed. Great heavy guitar riffs helped by fabulous moog impulses. Bekrija Si, Cijelo Selo Viče is perhaps the less original of the album due to it's rock-and-roll clear inspiration. Another excellent number, though. My final evaluation is justly high. When you listen to such a thing you cannot really deny it has to be called a classic. In my opinion it's even better than the acclaimed (and excellent too) Bitanga I Princeza. That's for it's more refined heavy prog sound which is far from coming close to a true prog related item. // 10

Overall Impression: The band is still active but I think Bregovic is out. Some weeks ago I saw in Histria posters of their actual tour in Croatia, the tour is titled, Sta Bi dao, haven't got the opportunity to see them performing live. What a pity. These guys really rock! // 10

Comments