The Stranger Review

billy joel: The Stranger
Release Date: Sep 1977
Label: Columbia
Genres: Soft Rock, Pop/Rock, Album Rock
Joel rarely wrote a set of songs better than those on The Stranger, nor did he often deliver an album as consistently listenable.
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Stranger Reviewed by: Sloopy, on october 09, 2007

Sound: When you think Billy Joel you automatically think of the masterpiece that is 'The Stranger'. The album marked his creative peak after releasing such great records as 'Piano Man' or 'Turnstiles'. This album has it all, from the amazing ballads such as 'Just The Way You Are' to the upbeat rockers like 'Movin Out (Anthony's Song)'. The sound is very varied on this album with a great band to back up the vocals and piano done by Billy. The Stranger doesn't disappoint. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really make the record into a classic in my opinion. The lyrical climax has got to be 'Scenes From An Italian Restaurant'. I mean from the soft beginning about two lovers to the rock n' roll second half the words flow seamlessly. Billy's a great vocalist and he really gives the amazing lyrics life. He also tackles interesting themes on songs such as the title track, which really she'd a new light on Joel's abilities as a songwriter. Overal he just writes and sings great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: 'The Stranger' is easily the strongest Billy Joel album in his catalog. I've got to say that every song impresses me except for 'Everybody Has A Dream'. I don't know what it is but that song just never excited me as much as the others. I really think that this should be one of those albums that every household should own. If it were stolen or lost I'd easily buy it again. In closing, 'The Stranger' by Billy Joel doesn't disappoint. // 10

More Billy Joel reviews rating latest review