666 Live Review

7.6
 8.2
 6.9
666 Live Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 23, 2008

Sound: Quite often you hear from different bands that the best audience they had on concerts was in the UK and Germany. No wonder those turned out to be their best shows. This is one of those cases -- choosing shows for their live DVD, Billy Talent chose three biggest European concerts in London, Nrburgring and Dsseldorf. The CD that comes along with 666 Live DVD consists of the entire Dsseldorf concert. The album is very predictable and includes most of the band's hits like Try Honesty, The Ex, Devil in a Midnight Mass and of course Red Flag during which the crowd is just going mad. You'd wish for some covers or a teaser song from the next album on top of that, but not this time. Each song on the album carries a different story and a different melody. Though it all fades away a bit on a live record, it still varies the album. Especially in those tracks where frontman Ben Kowalewicz comments the track. His speech about George Bush in the beginning of Worker Bees fills a seemingly foolish song with a meaning. Feels like not a single punk-rock band can avoid this subject nowadays! Prisoners of Today has quite a long and annoying guitar intro. Not to mention the guitars sound too obviously off through all of it. Try Honesty is a beautiful ballad that only gains from the live sound. It could've been even better if not the Kowalewicz's nasal singing. Though the sound of the recording doesn't give you a feeling you've just been to the show, it is comparably good and you can feel the enthusiasm the guys are performing with. // 8

Lyrics: The album has both the tracks from the debut album and from the sophomore, so you can compare the progress in songwriting skills. While I don't see a dramatic change in the melodies and song structures, I should admit the lyrics became a bit better. At lease now they should be ashamed to sing lines like You can steal my body but you can't steal my soul / Cause this is how it is and this is how it goes. Even though this is a live record and you would suppose the vocalist to sound horrible (esp. listening to a CD when you're not distracted to his jumps on stage), vocalist Ben Kowalewicz is doing his job pretty well. His voice does break sometimes and he's not always hitting the right note, but the energy he's doing it with sure covers all the lacks. Still I have to mention this -- his singing in Line and Sinker reminds me of a little nasty dog barking... // 7

Overall Impression: The guys did their best on a concert. Hard to say who enjoyed the show more -- the audience or the band. Kowalewicz keeps repeating Danke schon! almost in every track. The band is performing with such an intense and passion which you can only hear from young musicians that are exited just from the fact there are more than 50,000 people watching them. This is something for the fans to keep up the interest and to fill the gap before the third album the guys are now working on. If you're not a member of a fan club, this would hardly get you interested. // 7

- Kosh (c) 2008

666 Live Reviewed by: jammyninja, on january 23, 2008

Sound: Billy Talent are a very unique and skilled band, and it is always great to see when that transfers from record to a live environment. And with BT, it does in bounds. I had already seen them live and so knew what to expect from the CD and DVD. The band play through a storming collection of hits and fan favourites alike (for example, Standing In The Rain, Perfect World) and throughout, Ian D'sa's guitar is muscular and energetic, Jonathan and Aaron provide a steady but tuneful rhythm section and Ben is on top form for the most part, screaming every last word like he's being electrocuted. So pretty much like the band on CD, but with crowd noise and some added jams (as an intro to Prisoners of Today, and during the bridge of Try Honesty. I think there's one bum note in the entire 2 hours of CD and DVD combined. BT's music translates perfectly to a live show: They play punk-edged rock that's fun to jump around to but it's not all power chords either (Ian D'sa is one of the most original guitarists around today in my opinion). // 9

Lyrics: If the music from these chaps doesn't satisfy you, then maybe the lyrics will. From the commentary on the demise of a corrupt priest in "Devil in a Midnight Mass" to the pseudo-revolutionary lyrics of "Red Flag", Ben Kowalewicz can write a decent line or two. As much as some may dislike "Fallen Leaves" for being "overplayed" or whatever, that song is probably one of my favourite lyrically as it tells of desperate drug addicts: "Can't get no job, can you spare a dime? Just one more hit, and I'll be fine." There are a few occasions during the shows in which both Ben and Ian seem to struggle vocally, however this all gets forgotten due to the sheer energy the band exert. Ben is often yelping as if to incite the crowd to riot. The band writes such good vocal harmonies that despite a few slip ups, the singing elevates their already great songs to a higher level. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, there aren't many bands that can write an engaging and interesting song and then pull it off live as well, but Billy Talent are one of those bands, and they have quite a few songs of that calibre to choose from. My personal favourites would be This Is How It Goes for the vocal bile that Ian and Jon add during the chorus "This is how it goes!" and This Suffering for the crazy riff at the beginning and the whole catchiness of the song. There isn't much about this DVD that I don't love. A different setlist would be nice on the second DVD but it isn't too much of a problem because the whole package is still great value. There's also an easter egg where you get to see exactly how long it takes Ian D'sa to style his hair. If I lost this CD/DVD, I would be peeved but would get it again just cos it's a perfect CD for in the car, all the best Billy Talent songs on one disc and then two live shows to watch when I get home. Overall it's the value for money and the quality of the songs and performance that means I give Billy Talent top marks impression-wise. // 10

More Billy Talent reviews rating latest review