Billy Talent Review

artist: billy talent date: 06/27/2011 category: compact discs
billy talent: Billy Talent
Released: Sep 16, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Cathartic, Cynical/Sarcastic, Earnest, Distraught, Bittersweet, Intense, Brittle, Fractured
Styles: Punk Revival, Emo, Post-Hardcore
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.3
 9.6
Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is magnificentely unique. Many say it is punk rock but I beg to differ, this is simply genius with insteruments. The sound of every song is very deep and heartfelt, very jazzy riffs, deep innovative basslines, masterfully timed drumming and the most energised vocals I have ever heard! Guitarist Ian D'sa creates some of the most amazingly unique guitar peices in history(seriously), this is far from what can be described as punk rock. It is hard to say what it reminds me of because I have never heard anything like it. The insane chorus of "This is how it goes" to the deep melody of "Nothing To Lose" to the brilliant bounce of "Cut The Curtains". This is quite simply an incredible sound which is going to be very hard to beat. // 10

Lyrics: Is it just me or does singer Benjamin Kowalewicz have some issues? The subject matter of these songs have quite a variety, beside this though, they are all on some level deep and meaningful. Everything from the typical resentment of a ex girlfriend "The Ex", abuse from a father "Try Honesty" to contemplating suicide "Nothing To Lose". Some of these lyrics seem humourously non-sensical "My Mental Dishes Are Finally Clean.." but I refuse to believe this for the sheer fact that all these lyrics seem to come from the depths of Bens feelings. Lyrically the songs that grab me the most are "Cut The Curtains", "Prisoners of today" and "This is how it goes". I love every subject matter and how there given life alongside the instruments. // 10

Overall Impression: Fantastic, marvelous, incredible, insanely brilliant! If this album was ever broken id buy two to make sure never again! If it was ever stolen I would find who ever stole it beat them within an inch of they're life then make them watch as I steal everything and anything they own. I may sound a tiny bit fanatical but that is how much I love this album. I dont think I'm ever going to leave my girlfriend because it was her who bought it me! My favorite songs on this album are very hard to say but heres a few which I love that miniscule amount over the others. "This is how it goes", "The Ex", "Prisoners of today", "River Below" and "Cut the curtains". What I love about this album?. Everything. The meaning of each song, the aggression/harmony variety of the singing, the amazing guitaring/bassing, the powerful drums everything! There is nothing I dislike. One of the main aspects of many of the songs is the explosiveness of them as they jump from your speakers in a passionate rage! Its all amazing! So Unique! So satisfying! So amazing! One of the best albums/bands I have ever heard. And if this review isn't convincing keep in mind I'am a sort of person who lives of death metal and insanely heavy metal! And this C.D has forced its way into my CD collection, held its own and now is my favorite and its never going away! I love this album, please I emplore you to grab that tiny bit of cash and buy it, you will never regret it its amazing. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: grnday, on february 17, 2006

Sound: Billy Talent's self titled album has a unique punk rock sound which makes it as good as it is. This CD is jam packed with catchy rythems and strong lyrics. A thing that I really love about Billy Talent and their music is their unique quality which makes them one of my favorite bands. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are just plain amazing, their lead singer Ben really has a strong talent for singing. All of the tracks on this CD have meaningful lyrics which is essential in making a good album. I think that the mixture of these lyrics pooled with other instruments make this CD great. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is easily better than most other punk CDs out today. I would have to say that the best track on this album that really spoke to me is 'Nothing To Lose' but there are many other tracks that are great too. I loved how each song on this album has its own unique quality, it isn't like the same rythems like so many other punk rock albums that I've heard. // 8

Billy Talent Reviewed by: redshift_101, on september 21, 2004

Sound: Billy Talent is the band that came out of nowhere. And am I ever glad they did. They have such a fresh new sound and I welcomed it gladly. Their guitarwork is incredible, but considering they have only one guitarist, I noticed there's a lot of layering of the guitars. I'm interested to see how they pull it off in concert. But overall, a great rock album. Buy it! // 8

Lyrics: Billy Talent have some of the wittier lyrics I have heard in a long time "I bet you throw your in box out" or "Santa seemed to miss my chimney". Their lead singer (don't know his name) most definitely gets his point across in very creative ways. His best lyrics are probably in the song "Standing In The Rain", which is about a prostitute. It makese so much sense it's crazy. Good stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I have only one gripe about this album. After awhile, all the songs begin to sound the same. They have the same sounding guitar in all their songs and they use the same type of open chords. It sounds great, for awhile, and then it nags on you. The best thing Billy Talent have going for them is their energy and catchy anthemic vocals. I definitely suggest you pic this album up. // 8

Billy Talent Reviewed by: talirak, on january 23, 2006

Sound: I had a lot of problems listening trought all this album at the same time, the music is great the guitar riffs are good and well go with the drums but sometimes the bass is a little hard for the song this is something I don't like. And the guitar sometimes go crazy but not enought fot me. // 9

Lyrics: I told you I had problems with this album well it is mostly because of the singer he gave me some of those headaches. The lyrics are great in some songs as nothing to lose but have no meanig in other songs as cut the curtains. And the voice goes well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a good album not one of my favorites, their is one song that gave me a real goosebumbs, it's nothing to lose even if he screams a lot its a very good song. I didn't like the signer in this group, but I guess without him they wouldn't be the same. If I lost this CD I would try to find it but I probably wouldnt buy it again. // 8

Billy Talent Reviewed by: shoebox_of_lies, on february 18, 2006

Sound: If you're a fan of new rock, you're probably already (or going to be) a Billy Talent. They have to be one of the most original punk-rock bands out there, and if you enjoyed singles like "Try Honesty" and "River Below," you'll love the rest. If you're into it only for that emo-ish song "Nothing to Lose", you might be disapointed, since thats the only track of the genre. Other great tracks are "This Is How It Goes," "Living In The Shadows" and "Prisoners Of Today." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't completely, overwhelmingly amazing, but they are pretty good. Some of them are pretty hard to figure out what he means "Inside an office/A fallen angel/A smiling Buddha with snake eyes/creates the latest trends/and they just can't pretend/don't call me your friend." Then again, some are pretty catchy "We're breaking up the city/No time for wasting away/So tell me why should I stay/A prisoner of today." Overall, the lyrics work awesome with the music, and Ben, whose vocals were somewhat whiney in there previous release as Pezz sound awesome. Plus, he's a screamer. // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to most albums, because it simply blows most away. While the songs barely ever have guitar solos, they're all based on great guitar riffs with a nice distortion. It comes with the "Try Honesty" video (one of my personal favorites), along with a behind the scenes video, with some live footage. If it were stolen, it would be mandatory to purchase another one, maybe two just in case. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: pyritmann, on august 21, 2007

Sound: Billy Talent is one of the most unique sounding albums i've heard in a long time. Whether it be the piercing screams of Ben, or the beach boys sounding chords of Ian, everything sounds perfect. This Toronto Based group of punk rockers know exactly how to grab an ear and grab my ear they did with their debut album. The vocals on this album may scare some people off, but that is only because they are some of the most unique vocals I've ever heard, and I mean this in a very good way. Whether he be screaming or singing ben knows how to sound beautiful 100 percent of the time. Unique, it's the only word I know to say to describe this album and I will say it again for the guitar. amazingly unique. Ian D'sa is the only guitarist in the world who plays like this and I love it. From the face paced opener "This is How it Goes" to the soft emotional "Nothing to Lose" to the 80's sounding cut the curtains, Ian knows how to make it sound right. The guitar is the most notable instrument in this album. The bass on this album is not just boring old bass lines that follow the guitar like you would hear with most punk bands, Jon Gallent rocks the bass just as hard as Ian rocks the guitar. His best work during the intro to "this is how it goes" when he harmonizes perfectly with Ians Guitar. Other great songs from the bassist are "river below", "try honesty" and "the ex". The drumming on this album is fairly basic, not overplayed nor underplayed, but perfectly in between. Aaron's drumming style perfects suits the sound billy talent already has going on. songs such as "try honesty" and "River below" truly have the drums blend in like magic. Magic, yes magic, perfect word to describle the drumming. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album because of how much meaning they hold. Take the lyrics for "Nothing to Lose" It's the story about a 17 kid who gets bullied and teased at school so much that he eventually kills himself. Or "Standing in the Rain" A story about a prostitute who gets kidnapped, And finally the raw anger of " The Ex" Every single one of Billy talents songs has great meaning and I love every single word. All of their lyrics work perfectly with every song and ever word was picked carefully to make sure it was right. Beautiful lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the best Debut album I have ever heard in my life, a great young band formerly under the name "Pezz" Billy Talent really knocked my socks off with this record. Everything about it ties in perfectly for an amazing listening experience. My favorite songs were Juno Winning "River Below" "Try Honesty" and "This is How It Goes" If it were stolem o would buy it again ANY day. I am in love with billy talent. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Calvin, on november 13, 2003

Sound: This is possibly the best band I have EVER heard in my life! Some music styles are Punk-rock and just plain ol' metal. IF you haven't heard of them and you are from U.S or Canada They are definatly worth pickin' up at the music shop. Billy Talent Has some preety cool beats and rifs and shit like that. // 8

Lyrics: Billy Talent's Lead singer (Benjamin) has what I would call a loud and stringy voice. In the song This Is How It Goes the lyrics fit exactly in with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Billy Talent is definitely the best with Sum41 and treable charger tailing cloasly behind. Some of the most Impressive songs on this CD are This Is How It Goes, Try Honesty, Voices Of Violence and Lies. There is realy nothing to hate about the bant except the way the boy sings sometimes. If this was ever lost stolen burnt shit on w/e I would definitely go out with 20 bucks and buy a new one, AFTER I shot the person that destroyed it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2003

Sound: I think it's a very unique sound. The singer doesn't a voice I would ever call good, but the way he uses backup vocals and catchy choruses REALLY work. Their have a great live sound too (If you want to see them, by any means do). // 10

Lyrics: Like I said, he makes the lyrics sound really cool. They aren't what I call an "angry" band and use dark,very aggressive lyrics, but he has just enough to make it very personal and relatible. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare them to any other bands I've heard. Their songs get stuck in my head and I can relate to the ideas. Their my new favorite band. I can't stop playing the CD. My sister bought the CD and I listened to it alot, but there was a defect on the Line and Sinker track. Even though I could listen to her's, the skipping bugged me so much I bought another copy. I would buy another one too if I lost this one. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Taterdamillion, on january 19, 2004

Sound: This band is like nothing I've ever heard in my life. A mixture of faster music, slower music, harder/edgier music, softer music, etc. The vocalist is nothing short of amazing, and while I can't say he's got a GREAT voice, he adds a different tone to the songs. I was really impressed with the intro to the song "Lies" and the riff and vocals on "This Is How It Goes." I'm really impressed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are greatly written. They have just enough thought and meaning to make you listen carefully to them. The tone of the vocals is hard and enjoyable. I guess I'm just a sucker for high-pitched screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album. Great Great Great. All the music is great. I've yet to find a single track I don't enjoy. Another plus, is that there's a great EnhancedCD feature, with live clips, a behind the scenes thing, etc. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Matty Ramone, on march 23, 2004

Sound: Let me try to describe BT as best I can, there very Melodic Aggressive, Great guitar and drum sound in your face kick ass punk, rock, metal, alt, Ben the lead singer's voice has a little "Jonney PIL rotten" in it and theres so much energy and best listened to at Max Volume. // 10

Lyrics: If you can make out the lyrics on the first listen your a step ahead but once you know what the lyrics are they are really original and witty and fun to chant out live at there show like for example: "There is no doubt you throw your in box out" - that's from Cut the Curtain. // 10

Overall Impression: This band have a lot of buzz and are at there best on stage any body who likes to see a live rock act has to go to a BT show there the best live band I've ever seen and I've seen the best from Metallica to Ozzy to Kiss etc etc but a verry solid CD definitely worth Buying if you have to buy one Cd buy Billy Talent's debut, it will Melt your face off choice cuts Cut the Curtains, This is how it goes, Lies, Prisoners of today, 5 0ut of 5. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: The_Shame, on april 08, 2004

Sound: The Sound to me on this album is very repeatative. You could be caught saying that every song on this album sounds the same, but is that a bad thing? The album is a Cut above the rest of these "Bratty Punk Bands" that try and fail. Billy Talents sound on this CD is very Hard Hitting and "In your face". The Guitars on this CD are amazing. The Fast picking and the melodies that go with them are very well executed. The sound is something that I haven't really heard before, the constant "wining" from vocalist Benjamin Kowalewicz is very effective and is unique. Also thier live sound is unbelievable, trust me I've seen them! Overall they seem to remind me of early punk with a mixture of dirty vocals and a noise that pesters the hell out of you. // 8

Lyrics: Well, where do you start. The difference between most vocalists is their range of vocals. My god can this Kid scream and shout and at the same time he can be as sweet as a nut. Songs such as "Nothing to Lose" show the emotion and the softer side to Billy Talent, but if you want Wining, Bratty vocals and awesome music then songs like "Try Honesty", "The Ex" & "River Below" is what you should listen to. The Lyrics fit well together with the music. Singing skills are best tested on "This Is How It Goes", Lyrics such as "I hold my breathe till my heart explodes" they show how Benjamin feels and I think he protrays them well on this CD. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a good CD. Again it lacks the certain Killer blow. I got the feeling that the band have afew "fillers" on this album. But for a debut album its extremly good. I would compare it to bands such as Halo Friendlies & Hoobastank. The Standout tracks on the CD are "River Below" & "This Is How It Goes". They are hard to explain but they are songs I haven't really heard anyone else trying to do, which is why I like them. The Thing I love about this album is the pure bratty persona that the band give off. The vocals are so emotionally charged and their live performance is amazing. If you like the CD then you will love their Live performance. It's worth buying if you like this kinda music but it ain't for everybody, so my overall impression is that this is a good cd but I think if the band could go back and do it again, they would change afew things. // 8

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is awesome, the guitar riffs by ian sound great and are very fun to play and very inventive. When i first heard the band the singing kind of annoyed me but it has grown on me and i have grown to like benjamins sound. The sound is very unique. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the tone of the song very well. They are catchy, my favorite in particular the song nothing to lose i love how benjamin has songs wheres hes all out screaming and whining and then he has a song like nothing to lose or standing in the rain about a prostitute. // 10

Overall Impression: I found out about BT by hearing Try Honesty on the radio and then i bought the cd, i listen to it all the time and it never grows old. Although i love this cd, it is not for some who r into that gay pussy simple plan shit. There isnt one song on this cd i dont really like. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: linkinguitaro, on may 18, 2004

Sound: The sound was really good. This band is great. Alot of there songs are really cathy, like standing in the rain, and THE EX. But the band sounds a lot like the used. The guitar is perfect just enough distortion. // 8

Lyrics: The lyricks are really good. They are mostly about lies and deseet, Just like a Punk version of linkin park and 3 days grace. THe EX's lyricks are perfect with the msuic, reminds me of are you gonna be my grrl? // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a great CD to anyone wanting an alternative to Blink 182, sum 41, green day, the darkness etc. ect. I jsut found out about billy talent when i was watching Much and saw the tail end of THE EX. THe cd is definatly worth buying, The Cd also comes with enhaced computer cra and shows a making of video. o and the guitarist tripping over his guitar, then trashing it, then trashing the drums! I would definalty replace this. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Sound: Billy talent is like no other. There sound is original and its good. Which is a rare thing these days. The guitar sounds twangy and very hard. And it fits so perfectly. The bass is also very good, having independent lines and not just playin the routes of the guitares chords. The drumming is also awesome. // 10

Lyrics: In other circumstances this singer would suck. If he went on american idol he would be the next william hung. But like i said everything fits so perfectly. The singin is just plain awesome accompanied by the guitar and such. Also the lyrics are awesome, with hidden meanings and the such. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best debut albums ive ever heard. This review is also from a person who generally doesnt listen to this type of music. If you like anyone of Billy Talents songs buy the cd. Seriously. They are one of the most consistent bands today. Also there live show is smokin too. If I lost it or it got stolen i would definetly buy it again for sure. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Billy47, on may 26, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is awesome it has this punk rock sound to it that I like,and when I listen to it I feel more alive. It has more of a maniac sound to it and I love it. The riffs are awesome and I read in the booklet the george stromboulopolous from muchmusic helped out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome,they hav e a sound to it thats make su wanna rock. My fav songs are this is how it is, Line And Sinker, Lies, River Below, Standing In The Rain, and Cut The Curtains. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is awesome too this is probobly one of the best bands I have ever heard in my life. The music is the bomb and I wanna get there next cd as soon as it goes on the shelves and if you have 17.64 (canadian). Get to futureshop and buy it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2004

Sound: The sound is really refreshing because it reminds of how punk used to be before these manufactured "punk" bands came along. The guitar isn't too insane but still manages to have these awesome riffs and the drums are heavy sometimes but other times just provide a good enough beat to keep the song going. The bass is good too (guitar stands out more though). Also Ben's voice is so unique, I think it is very cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics match the rhythm, beat, and music of all the songs. They display alot of different sides and emotions of the band. Ben's voice is also well suited to the lyrics. Their really well written. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love this album, it reminds me kinda of a notch down from Pennywise(except less political). Anyways if you are into this kinda music (mainstream but still hardcore enough) I suggest you buy it! // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2004

Sound: The sound was pretty good in this cd. On some songs it was heavy kind of hardcore rock with alot of yelling.like the song line and sinker, which is a really good song, but on the other hand it has songs like nothing to lose where it is slower. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in most songs were actually very impressive. In some songs they werent as moving or as if they didn't have any point but they were still pretty good. the singer skills were alright but I think that it could have been done a bit better but I liked the way it came it out was good. // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite songs on the album are definatly their 3 singles (so far) Try Honesty, The Ex and River Below, some other songs on the album that I liked were This Is How It Goes, Line And Sinker and Voices Of Violence. If I lost this cd I would definatly buy it again it was an awesome cd and it has extra features on the copmuter it has a cool video of them when they were recording their cd. I really liked the song this is how it goes just that song is worth buying the cd. Check it out everyone go out and get it. // 8

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: This is amazing. My friend let me listen to this CD and I fell in love with it. Everybody that I know that has listened to it has the cd now. The best part about this band is if you listen to there cd you think "These guys are pretty good" than you see them in concert and they are 10x's better. Especially with Ben screaming his loungs out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics make a lot more sense than the cheap lyrics of bands like good charlotte like on this is how it goes is about a person with a disease that takes over your body and crippes you (forgot what its called). Every song makes a statement. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on the alblum are 1. This Is How It Goes, 2. Prisoners Of Today, 3. Standing In The Rain. This alblum is totally worth buying. Buy it if you want one of the highest rushes of your life! // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: starbomb13, on june 28, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is awesome-with the nice guitar riffs, booming bass, clashing and crisp drums put all together with Ben's emotional, sarcastic, and at times psychotic voice screaming. If you like Alexisonfire's sound, or Sum 41, you'd probably like the sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: I gotta say that I love the lyrics of this album - they're honest, deep, and at times clever. It's not like simple plan or good charlotte lyrics-they seem to have more meaning and depth in them. The lyrics are definitely a huge part in why I like this album. // 10

Overall Impression: My fave songs from the album are "Try Honesty", "This Is How It Goes", "The Ex", and "Line And Sinker". I love that the songs have a variety of sounds, and that Ben starts screaming at the right moments-he doesn't scream right through the entire album (not like Alexisonfire what the hell is that guy even singing?) Anyway if I lost the album, I'd definitely think about buying it again. It was refreshing to listen to it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2004

Sound: This whole album is just awesome. I haven't bought a cd in a while and when I bought this one I was so impressed with it. Billy Talent has a totally different sound and quality that you dont hear with all these shit ass processed punk that you hear so often now and I love that. I listen to every song on this cd instead of just a couple because they all kick ass. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing. I can listen to the whole thing and hear all these emotions and think, I know how that is. the vocals are off the hook, and the lyrics just go with the music so well. Most bands now are all saying the same kind of shit and its old now. Billy Talent has kick ass lyrics and Benjamin Kowalewicz is awesome on vocals. Buy this album you won't regret it. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare Billy Talent with any band I can think og. They're so different as are all the songs on the album my personal favorites are this is How It Goes Standing In The Rain and Nothing To Lose - only if I had to choose!theyre all the shit. The music has so much feeling and emotion in it so it makes it all seem more genuine and an overall better album. I would definetly buy this cd again if I lost it or whatever, no question. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2004

Sound: This group is the best ever. This is an actual punk group that is punk, not htta punk emo crap u always heer. Overall they are upbeet and catchy songs, nothing to lose is the only emo song. I say get ur crap together and buy the cd. You won't regret it. I'm always timid wen it comes to punk but this group rox! The singer is an amazin touch to the alredy awsome group. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and depressing and are delirious. Not a serious sense to it. The lyrics are catchy and will be stuk in your hed but this time you'll like it not like rap songs in your head. Ther's not much to say other than that. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall with awsome lyrics and sound they rock my sox! They are wat the werld has been waiting for. An actual punk groub. But not screamin all the time like Alexisonfire, you can't hear most of the weirds. Listen to this is how it goes and you will buy the cd and that isn't even 1 of the best songs. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2004

Sound: When I first heard Billy Talent, I was so impressed. This group is the real meaning of punk rock. The music is the best, sound is Uber. I saw them live, they have a great sound! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. Standing In The Rain talks about prostitution. Nothing to Lost is about. Well the song is about a kid that grew up in the suburbs, he was teased every day and told he was worth nothing. That pushed him to the point to kill himself, I believe he hung himself. Very sad song. The singer is uber, even greater live. Lyrics get stuck in your head. // 10

Overall Impression: Does it compare to other albums? Most impressive songs are Try Honesty, This Is How It Goes, Voices of Violence, The Ex. (That's what I think.) I can't really find things to hate about them. I love everything about them! If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again, no doubt. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Cobaingirl, on august 12, 2004

Sound: The guitar is so kick ass and its fast and all the instruments blend together to form the coolest punk rock sound. The guitar is crisp and pauses are throughtout the songs and makes it sound heavier than pop but not quite metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are explaining times when girls would say he's not good enough and cheated on him(lead singer) and the lyrics can relate to guys who go through hard break ups and for girls - you can learn from it-just kidding. The lyrics are very well written and makes sense in every way and definately worth listening to because it's not just one of those songs that were written in 10 minutes. // 10

Overall Impression: In Canada Billy Talent is very popular and the video for "The River Below" is playing all the time. The best songs are "The River Below", "The Ex" and "Try Honesty." Oh and "Voices Of Violence". Jeez they have a lot of good songs. I love the mix of the guitar and his voice its so awesome and makes you want to like scream to it and learn it on the guitar. If I lost it I would totally go buy a new one or get my friend to burn it for me cuz I need to listen to all the time. It is worth buying. But if you don't want to buy it then just pleasy listen to it cuz u will like it trust me. Nothing else to sure I guess. I'd share my cd but I cant cuz well you know. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: The_Roth_KungFu, on september 28, 2004

Sound: This band is probably one of the biggest out-of-nowhere bands in Canada, they play their music extremely skillyfully. Their guitarist, Ian, is awesome, he's the only guitarist in the band and his riffs are incredible. The bassist is also very good. The drummer, however is average, but it fits their music. The vocalist has a really really good voice, he can scream really loud of sing very softly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics is the second thing that caught my attention, besides the guitar, I listened to their entire album, and their songs are all very mature and well written. For example, the Try Honesty is about realtionships with your dad, The Ex is about, well the ex, River Below is aboout insanity, etc. They talk aboout things I and probably alot of other ppl can relate with. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, just totally rules, one of the best album out there. If I lost it or if it got stolen, I would definately buy it, and I urge you ppl out there who dont have it. Buy it, you won't regret it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: saxen, on january 06, 2005

Sound: This band is my favorite band to start with. They got killer guitar (Ian D'sa) and the vocals are amazing (Ben Kowalewicz), might I add hes a screamer (whcih I like). Most of their songs have a story behind them such as 'The Ex'. That song is about Ben's Ex girlfriend cheating on him with another guy. Also, 'Nothing To Lose' deals with teen suicide, they wrote that song about someone they knew in high school that comitted suicide. They are a rock/punk band and they really show it through and thoughout their album. They have great sound, lyrics, gitar, drums and bass there is nothing more you could ask for. If you want to see an amazing concert, go see Billy Talent live. // 10

Lyrics: I was very impressed with the choice of lyrics, most of their songs have storys behind them but there are a few that the lyrics are pretty random. This singer is not your average punk/rock singer, he can scream for hours with out giving up, I know this for sure because I personally have seen them in concert and I know how much he gives'r. Never the less these guys rock hard. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to say if you like the punk/rock style of music you will be obsessed with Billy Talent. I would have to say it is my favorite cd I own of that category. I feel that the most impressive song on this album are all of them. All the songs are great and all of them could be smash hits. If I had to choose one I would have to say either 'Line And Sinker' or 'How It Goes' because the energy that Ben brings to stage when he performs these songs is amazing. I love everything about this cd, it is also an enhanced cd so you can put it in your computer and watch there music video for 'Try Honesty' and you can view live footage of concerts and other things about the band. I absolutely hate nothing at all about this album and there band. If I lost this cd I would definately buy it again in a heartbeat! Buy there cd and go see them in concert cause these guys rock! // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: The band has its own sound and its very distinctive. Although it could be hard to understand what the Ben (lead singer) sings. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics sound very mature. The topics are very good and are very respectable. Ben surely knows how to catch peoples attention with his classy lyrics. None of the songs have dumb lyrics like other bands. The songs in this album go very good witht the lyrics, excelent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this band will easily reach great heights with an excellent debut album like this. They are much better than Sum 41, Simple Plan, and other punk bands which sound very similar to each other. If it were stolen I'd surely buy it again. The best songs in my opinion are "This Is How It Goes," " Nothing To Lose," "Standing In The Rain," "The Ex," "River Below" and ofcourse "Try Honesty." Thats 7 great songs in 1 album. The other songs arent bad at all, but these 7 songs caught my attention the most. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: Wow was my first impression. Ben's screaming is insanely perfect tones to match the music style. I don't know what category to place them under as far as genres are concerned. Lots of catchy guitar riffs and catchy lyrics. Great band. // 10

Lyrics: Very different, they remind me a lot of the good ol' rock and roll style lyrics, where some songs would have a main thought then branch off into 'nothing'. I said it before but Ben has a wicked voice and his screaming ability is matched by no other. And by the way, these guys Live are better than any band I've ever heard, they can make the songs sound exactly as they do on the CD, and you know that means they're not buttering up their performance in the studio, these guys are the real deal. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this album. Unfortunatly it has received a lot of radio play causing it to fall under the "pop-rock" category, which drives away people trying to be deep into their bands. I'll tell you it has recieved so much radio play because every song on this album is good. There is not one song I can say I don't like, they're all awesome. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: Zuka, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Billy Talent brings a sound that holds distinctive features, most distinctivley the vocals. The CD is not their first. Their former name "Pezz" had released a few albums before discovering another band in the states was named Pezz. Ben Kowalewicz then came to the rest of the band with the name "Billy Talent," which was inspired by a character in the film Hard Core Logo. Billy Talent is a great example of punk/rock style music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where excellent once I figured out what the song was about. For example, Try Honesty shows the painful events of child abuse. Nothing to Lose shows a male teen who is constantly teased and bullied until he finally breaks, committing suicide. This is How it Goes shows the emotion of a friend diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Standing in the Rain shows the painful recollections of a heroine addicted prostitute. Ben Kowalewicz (lead singer) has a distinctive (has been described as whiny) voice which helps deliver the vocals excellently! // 10

Overall Impression: Cut The Curtains and This Is How it Goes have the most meaning to me, with the lyrics and the guitar performance. I love everything about the album, there are no faults in my view. If the CD where stolen or lost, I would not only make the theifs life a living hell, but I would stop off at HMV and buy another one! // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: punkrockerblind, on december 26, 2005

Sound: Ok, what can I say, amazing CD. You know how most CD's have filler or crap songs and only 2 singles? Billy Talent has a CD with all good songs. I was blown away by there punk/hardcore style. I am in a punk band from the GTA and if I could be like any band, Billy Talent wins. They have the most unique sound. It has fast finger picking, amazing riffs, great bass and great drumming. I ususally hate screamers but they have won me over on vocals. They don't follow the usual 3 note chord progression, amazing style. Good job guys! // 10

Lyrics: Well, I am a lyrics hound and these ones are really good. Metaphors, screams, emotion and catchiness. I hate songs so catchy they get stuck in your head but Billy Talent, I could hear all day and not even get bored. I especially like the lyrics for Line and Sinker and River Below. If I could write lyrics like them, I would be the happiest man alive. I like how they blend singing with screaming. It doesn't over power the singing and blends in well. I like the whiny singing and screams together, pure genious. Lyrics go great with music. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I have always been a punk guy and have started listening to more "emo/hardcore" stuff. I think this is my favourite Canadian artist album ever. I want to see them in concert soon and if they never made a comeback, I would still listen to them and never forget the TO band that revolutionized the punk/emo sound. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 21, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is just plain increbidle. The guitar on this album is brilliant and I think that Ian is a very good and intelligent guitarist when it comes down to playing the guitar he is one of the best in the history of punk-rock. The bass on this album is amazing and it has some pretty cool riffs in songs such as "This Is How It Goes", "Standing In The Rain", and "Voices Of Violene". Well the drums are what you would usually expect of a punk band they are simply incredible and they are just very intelligent drum riffs to go along with the songs. // 10

Lyrics: Ben has always been one of the best songwriters. I have been enjoying his lyrics for the past two years and probably always will. Alright so Ben I think can plan out his lyrics very well and when the other vocalists for the band do the backup vocals (Ian and the bassist) it is pretty sweet. Ian singing on this album is pretty amazing and it just sound really cool when he does the back up vocals for songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other album because it kicks a lot of ass. I don't have any favourite songs on this album all of them kick butt and they are just very intelligent songs. I love everything about it well maybe except one thing. I think that Billy Talent should add a bit more solos to their songs like I defenitely thought that "Try Honesty" and "This is How It Goes" should have solos because I thought it would have kicked ass if they put solos on these two songs. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy this album again because it is a must-have for any fan of Billy Talent or any fan of punk. Get this album you will not regret it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: HomesliceMan, on november 17, 2006

Sound: This is an incredible debut album! I mean, it has got everything you would want from a punk-rock band! Catchy choruses, melodic riffs, and a unique sound. But, sometimes the vocalist screams so loud, it sounds like the speakers are about to blow! Other than that, the sound is very high quality. // 9

Lyrics: Oh my god! These are some of the best lyricists to ever walk this green earth! An example of the bands best work is the song "Nothing To Lose" which is a story of teen suicide. A line from this song: "I always walked home alone, so I became lifeless just like my telephone." These lyics could not be any better in my opinion. The singers voice is incredibly unique, and he does not share his sound with any other singer. // 10

Overall Impression: If this CD was lost/stolen, I would immediatey go and buy another copy of it. The best songs on this album are: This Is How It Goes, Try Honesty, River Below, Cut The Curtains, Nothing To Lose. The worst song is: Line And Sinker. I love the sound that they have mostly, and I love the lyrics too. These are some of the best musicians around, and I don't think I hate anything about it. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: stratele, on june 23, 2008

Sound: Billy Talent is a Canadian rock band with a difference. They have a very unique sound. Formed in 1993, it took over a decade to reach mainstream success. There self titled debut album, "Billy Talent" released in 2003, combines sharp guitar playing, catchy lyrics and fast upbeat songs. The music is a combination of punk rock and alternative rock. But it's hard to place a specific genre on this band, I'll let you decide. With 12 tracks on the album, I'll go through each one. 01. This Is How It Goes - a perfect opener. The sharp guitar riff, followed by the drums then bass. Builds up into a unique sound. This song is actualy about the drummer in the band, as he has multiple sclerosis. 02. Living In The Shadows - one of the weaker songs in my opinion. But still very good. 03. Try Honesty - probebly the most popular song on the album. Very catchy in the chorus when Ian is singing, I can't help but sing along. Powerfull and fast. 04. Line & Sinker - Ben's screaming makes an appearance here. Clean, and dynamic. Great duel singing in the chorus too. 05. Lies - catchy chorus, and smooth verse's. Also great harmonies from Ian. 06. The Ex - this is a great song, upbeat and aggressive. Obviously about an ex-girlfriend. 07. River Below - again, Ian's singing works well in this song. Cool guitar riff in intro as well. Not one of the strongest songs on the album though. 08. Standing In The Rain - a slower song now, but still loud and slightly aggressive. The line, "milk carton mugshot baby, missing sinse 1983" sticks in my mind. 09. Cut The Curtains - aggressive intro. This is one of my favourites. Duel singing in the chorus works very well. Solo! Very good, Ian's guitar skills are top class. Plus the part where the volume decreases to basicly 0, amazing. This should be good live. 10. Prisoners Of Today - starts quiet but then explodes into a powerfull sound. Does this a lot in this track. Top class 11. Nothing To Lose - this has got to be one of the most saddest, deppressing songs I've ever listened to. It's about someone commiting suicide, because they don't feel accepted into life. The last line of the song, "and I just died today". True story? It could be. The part that most sticks out for me is Ben's screaming at the end. The amount of emotion put into them words is unbeleiveable! It actualy sounds like he might be crying while he was singing in the studio. Amazing song, but very sad. 12. Voices Of Violence - thank goodness. A fast upbeat song to end on. A change from the last song. A very good track, one of the best on the album. // 9

Lyrics: Ben's lyrics are done very well. They work well with the music, and you can guess the meaning pritty easyily. Ben's singing is quite unique, which works well for the bands sound. It can be described as high pitched, or whiney. But I love it, also Ian's singing voice works very well with it as well. These two were made to be with each other. An good example of Ben's writing skills is shown with 'Nothing to lose'. "There's nothing to lose, when no one knoes your name". Powerfull lyrics, but very effective. Also, 'Try Honesty', has some great lyrics. it's about being honest, probebly to your partner? "Try Honesty," "Ride Over Me," "Cry Agony," "Die Tragedy." // 8

Overall Impression: My overall opinion of this album is a very good one. It has a very fast, aggressive tone thoughout. Well strucutred and tight songs. Which has come from the amount of experience this band has. The best songs are 'try honestly, cut the curtains, the ex and voices of violence'. The most impressive in my opinion is 'nothing to lose'. I love Ian's guitar playing, it's unique, and has a 'sharp' aspect about it. I don't think I hate anything about it. If it were lost, I would buy it again, defently. Great album, from a great band. // 9

Billy Talent Reviewed by: mattant250, on july 22, 2009

Sound: Billy Talent's sound is very unique, because it has such a distinctive sound, that, in my opinion can only be likened to the technical talents of Red Hot Chili Peppers, the raw punk-ness of The Clash and The Sex Pistols and the togetherness and all-round talents, again of RHCP. This combination is a perfect mixture, and it makes Billy Talent one of my favourite bands ever. This album flows, it builds on the experimental Watoosh!, from Pezz, and I can honestly find no weak track - each one could have genuinely been a single. Ben, the lead singer, has fantastic writing skills, and his voice is perfect for that of a punk singer, as shown in This Is How It Goes, but can also reach the higher, more emotive notes, as shown in Nothing To Lose. He, in my opinion, brings the band, and the album together, and ties up all the loose ends. Ian, the guitarist, is one of the most versatile guitarists I have ever listened to. His technical ability with a guitar is second to very few people in the modern world, and he performs brilliant, sharp, clean and strong riffs in almost every track. He also provides back up for Ben in vocals, and his raw voice moves each track to another dimension. The other two members of the band, Jon and Aaron, are less popular than the other two, however still have important parts in the band. When listening to a track, I normally notice the guitar and vocals a lot more than the drums or bass, but maybe that is the same for every band. People often say that the bassist and the drummer are the backbone of a band, and in this case, I agree. Their timing, and understanding of eachother is top notch, and they allow Ian and Ben more freedom. There is, unlike later albums, no focus on bass or drums, which is why their roles seem smaller, but they are still very important. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of each song are well structured and thought out, and fit the music brilliantly. I rarely hear any lyric which seems out of place in this album, and even then, the guitar and bass cover it up well. I think that, in later BT albums, Ben's voice becomes more "whiny", but in this album, his raw voice is perfect, and he has introduced to this album, his screaming technique in most songs. I've already done an overview of Ben, and Ian, so I'll direct you back up there for that. // 9

Overall Impression: 01.This Is How It Goes: this is a perfect opening for the album, as it defines what to expect from the album as a whole. It begins with the guitar playing a riff that will be repeated throughout the song, then the drums enter, followed by the bass. This slow introduction of the instruments build up to a massive explosion of sound to set the whole tempo of the song. The guitar in this song is amazing, and the song as a whole is one of the best. 9/10 02.Living In The Shadows: in comparison to the opening track, this is quite a weak song, however, it had to do a lot to out-do its predecessor, anyway. This song feels slower than the first track, but it is still pretty fast paced, and this is a very strong song. 8/10 03.Try Honesty: this is the first single from the album, and it brings the perfect example of the quick change from quiet to loud, and slow to quick. This is one of the best on the album, and overall, it is probably the strongest from each member of the band. 10/10 04.Line & Sinker: I love this song. The harmony between Ian and Ben contains a sort of beauty, and the song follows on from Try Honesty fantastically. The song opens with the chorus, and it appears to be the angriest on the album. 10/10 05.Lies: a slower song, which, in the context of the album, can mislead you to believe it is a weaker song. However, this is not the case. This is a very resentful love song, and there is a higher energy beyond the speed in this song, making it another great. 9/10 06.The Ex: a Short, angry song, which almost anyone can relate to. Ben lets out his angry frustration at his 'ex' and reveals his pain at losing her. Not the strongest on the album, but still very good. 8/10 07.River Below: my favourite from the album. I love every part of this song. The verse features alternating lines from Ben and Ian, before breaking into the chorus, which again features them both. This song really blows you away and is brilliant in every way. 10+/10 08.Standing In The Rain: a slower song again, but this time you are under no illusion about the quality of this song, especially not when you hear the chorus. However my favourite part is half way through, when the chorus is repeated with a palm muted guitar. This slows the song down and builds up the energy to release in the chorus that follows. 9/10 09.Cut The Curtains: the heaviest song of the album, and a song in which the bass and drums play a big part in bolstering up the guitar's volume. A great song, and a song, in which the vocals are actually the weakest part, despite them being great. This song also contains a bridge which slows it down and then bursts into the chorus again. 9.5/10 10.Prisoners Of Today: surprisingly, this is the weakest song of the album. It's far less angry, quick and energetic, and can actually become boring. Despite this, outside of the album it is brilliant. 8/10 11.Nothing To Lose: depressing. That is the only way to describe it. Ben puts so much passion into this song, and because of the softness of the song, the drums and bass play a big part again. Eventually though, the song does pick up and get distorted, however, the song can still make you want to start crying. 9/10 12.Voices Of Violence: if Nothing To Lose is the ultimate depressant, this is the perfect pick-me-up. The energy and speed of this album closes the album in style, and for me, should have been a single. 9/10 If this album was lost, I would first download the album from the internet twice, go to the guy who stole it, tie him up, play this album full blast, while rabid dogs munched on his you-know-whats, and then make my way to the store, while listening to Voices Of Violence, buy the album, and return home to enjoy the album, once more restored at home. // 10

Billy Talent Reviewed by: walkingwithjack, on april 01, 2010

Sound: The Debut album of Billy Talent is totally different to their following work Billy Talent II and Billy Talent III. This album features a defining angry, underground modern punk sound, the songs are emotional and hardcore. Ian D'sas' guitar track is really melodic in a few songs, especially 'Try Honesty' and 'Lies' although the guitar can sound similar in some songs. The drums have the same problem, but the bass varies greatly from song to song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album are very vague in most songs, this mean we don't get very interesting topical songs, but the music itself is enjoyable enough. The one song I cannot stand is 'The Ex' which is four minutes of cheesy spouting about a girl who dumped him, c'mon guys, you can do better than that. I really like the backing vocals in this album, they're not the best of the Billy Talent range but they are decent. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is commonly lost in the wave of emo/ harcore / modern rock, but i think it has a charm about it that seperates it out. Billy Talent is an ever changing band, and every album has a seemingly new genre and explores it well. This is the loudest of all the albums, with songs like 'Try Honesty' and 'Cut the Curtains'. The tunes are memorable and you will find yourself humming them after a few minutes. Without doubt, the best song in the album is 'Try honesty'. It was there breakout hit and still manages to be one of their best songs. // 9

Billy Talent Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2011

Sound: When I first heard this 6 years ago, I remember how amazing I thought it was. I loved it and still do; I still listen to it sing the words. I just felt it was such an amazing band, that they had the real skill and talent and passion needed to get far. I still love them today, but nothing compare to the sound of their orginal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very meaningful. They were sang like a story and gave a sense of mystery. In fact much of this album, reminds me of a summer day. I love listening to it when the sun is out and I'm outside. The words just remind me of summer and being outside. Which is alittle weird because it is not the happiest words but it puts me at ease. Some of the best lyrics I've ever heard come from this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. Chances are I always will love it. It is more amazing in my opion then alot of other albums I've heard only few albums compare to it. The catchy rifts, the story being told it's wonderful. I was proud to know Billy Talent as Candian. I recommend buying it if you see it and you like them. // 10

More Billy Talent reviews rating latest review