Amorica Review

black crowes: Amorica
Release Date: 1994
Label: American
Genres: Jam Bands, American Trad Rock, Southern Rock, Hard Rock, Rock & Roll
On Amorica, the Black Crowes finally come into their own, taking their cue from the most relaxed, groove-oriented tracks on their previous album.
 9.9
 9.9
 9.8
Amorica Reviewed by: guitarwhiz234, on may 14, 2007

Sound: My first impression was that the band was having a rough time and where definetly fighting. Now having said that it's not a bad record at all. This is a very good record actually. This CD was very controversial when it came out with the cover showing a women wearing a american flag as panties. This is a very underrated CD and is a must have. It was very well produced with the solos flying, Chris Robinsons voice is amazign as always and the whole band is firing on all cylinders. On this album there is a couple ballads but they aren't cheesy at all, they are very beautiful with some very mellow then they pick up. Some of the songs sound very hate filled and you can tell the band was coming apart, but what surprises me the most is that the music didn't suffer. a lot of people don't like this album because there wasn't a hit single which didn't bother me. but it's an amazing record a must have. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are always great, in my opinon Chris Robinson is one of the best lyric writers of all time. He is up there with the greats. Some songs talk about past relationships ending badly, like in the song "non fiction" it's very spiteful the lyric "And if we had a child I would like a son and not a daughter, 'cause she would be just like you, and that will not do." The song "Cursed Diamond" is a very well written song, he sings about himself saying he isnt perfect and nobody is but he's almost saying it's okay. "Wiser Time" is a very well writtens ong also, what I'm trying to say is the songs are very well written, in terms of lyrics. Chris's vocals are very soulful, like you know he's seen the blues, it sounds amazing as ever kinda raspy but in a good way. The lyrics go with the music very well and this album is very easy go listen too. // 10

Overall Impression: For comparing this album, it is very bluesy, but you can hear that they are into folkish bluesy stuff. Having said that they are very rock n roll too, and have this great sound. I'm always blown away when I listen too it because you always discover something new. I would recommend this to anyone that likes classic rock like The Stones and Zeppelin. My favorite songs are A Conspiracy, Wiser Time, She Gave Good Sunflower, Cursed Diamond and Ballad In Urgency. The whole album shines though and is very experimental Rich Robinson and Marc Ford have very good chemistry as guitarists. I just love everything about this album. If you like "Shake Your Moneymaker" and "The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion" I would recommend giving this a try. If it where stolen I would probably cry then I'd kill the ass whole stole it, then buy it again. // 10

Amorica Reviewed by: BrainDamage, on february 24, 2010

Sound: After establishing themselves as the "most rock and roll rock and roll band" in the world with their first two releases, the Black Crowes began to expand their sound on Amorica. While the rock is most certainly still present, some of this albums most memorable tracks are actually ballads, such as Descending, which features pianist Ed Harsch's finest moments on a Black Crowes record. Amorica will always have a special place in my heart because it contains the two songs that introduced me to this band- Ballad in Urgency and Wiser Time. The former is, unsurprisingly, a ballad that is filled with so much passion it's hard not to feel uplifted as Marc Ford brings the song to it's climax with a perfectly executed solo. The piano coda tacked on to the end of Ballad in Urgency leads seamlessly into Wiser Time, a laid back "road song" which, like My Morning Song from Southern Harmony, is a song that defines the sound of The Black Crowes. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, Chris Robinson delivers with strong lyrics and vocals, which shine on such tracks as Cursed Diamond and Ballad in Urgency. Also of note on this album are the backing vocals provided by rhythm guitarist Rich Robinson. Rich sings harmony to Chris' lead vocals on Wiser Time that compliment the song perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Following up an album like The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is no easy task, but the Crowes managed to produce a record that is as good, if not better with Amorica. Like any of "the big three" (Southern Harmony, Amorica, and the band's fourth album, Three Snakes and One Charm), a strong case can be made as to why Amorica is the best album this band has put out. The songs are all great (with the exception of maybe P.25 London, which tends to get a lot of hate among fans. I personally love it) and the musicianship is stellar. Possibly my one complaint is that the band didn't record Downtown Money Waster as the electric monster it became live for use on this album (they revisited the song in 1997 during the Band sessions and recorded an electric version that does it justice), but even with that said, the acoustic honky-tonk campfire version on the album is fun, and I'm not sure if the electric version would fit in its place. I'll have to swap them one of these days and see how it works. // 10

More Black Crowes reviews rating latest review