Miasma Review

black dahlia murder: Miasma
Released: Jul 12, 2005
Label: Metal Blade
Genre: Rock
This 2005 release is a perfect example of a U.S. recording with a very Scandinavian sound.
 Lyrics: 9.1
Miasma Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Once Again, the Black Dahlia Murder rips off your face and stomps it. Probably the best sounding death metal around, the guitars are always harmonized and on this CD the solos have improved a great deal. They stayed with their style but in this release they have a new drummer and a different way of writing the lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: As always, they are magnificent. But on this release they arent quite so dark, but yet still creepy and odd. But very well written. // 10

Overall Impression: The Black Dahlia Murder has made a huge leap forward in their music, the guitars have improved greatly, even though they were great on the last CD. This CD is definitly worth buying, if someone stole it, I would punch them. Then if they didnt have it, I would definitly buy it again. The most impressive songs to me are all of them, seriously. Go buy this album right now. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: BDM has done another awesome job on this CD. While Miasma is more melodic than Unhallowed, it still manages to kick you in the ass. The guitar parts are freaking sweet, and the new drummer is un-godly different than anything than I've ever heard. Blast beats! // 10

Lyrics: While the lyrics on this CD are good, they not as dark or compelling as Unhallowed. But still good. // 8

Overall Impression: This probably one of the better "mainstream" death metal albums of the year. The singers have improved by vast amounts, and have delved into some black metal roots. Since hiring the new drummer, the rhythm of songs has also changed. It's not as 'heavy' as Unhallowed, but it provides more thought out song theory and lyrical spread. If this CD were stolen, I'd have to go out and get another after murdering the person who stole it from me. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: just_miasma_it, on january 05, 2006

Sound: It's a good sounding record. The riffs are great 90% of the time, and the solos are tasteful, a rarity in metal nowadays. The drummer and drumming is the only thing that brings this record down. While the drumming is usually inconspicuous and blends well with the music, sometimes it stands out and is glaringly odd sounding, like something isn't right. Not being a drummer myself, I couldn't tell you exactly what that is, but its there. Especially during the solos, and its takes away from some of them. The vocals are good from both vocalists, but it wouldve been cool if they'd have double teamed more often. The production is good, and my only quip with production is that the solo guitars are often to quiet and not bright enough. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics really, really aren't very good, but you wouldnt know it if you didn't read them. They're repetitive and meaningless, but the lyrics arent the point here. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to some others, its standard fair, but the riffs are really great, and the overall sound is driving, hard, and interesting. A good metal record, and I'll probably pick up Unhallowed in the near future as well. // 8

Miasma Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2006

Sound: With The Black Dahlia Murder's second album release of Miasma, the sound and melody of their songs have improved greatly. The songs are a bit more melodic and not as heavy as their earlier album and demo's, but nontheless still a brutal metal assualt. With a new drummer, some of the beats sound a bit strange especially during melodic guitar parts, but still great sound. Both guitarists Brian Eschbach and John Kempainen have improved greatly in their playing skills. With intense riffs and breakdowns throughout all songs, as well as new and improved solos, the guitarwork is in all just hundreds of times better. The style of music is classified as death metal for all those who are wondering or for those who did not already guess from the name. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on their new tracks are not as dark as they were before, but still a bit eery. With some songs I am guessing can only be about the actual Black Dahlia Murder case, they are not for the faint hearted. The music goes along perfectly with the lyrics, although I have said before sometimes the drums sound a tad akward with the guitar. The singer Trevor Strnad is exceptional ranging from higher pitched screams to the low dark growl that gives you chills. Ranging from both these styles of singing from song to song is I believe an amazing skill to accomplish. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is an awesome follow-up to the first album "Unhallowed" although not as heavy. The most impressive tracks on this album I believe would be "Flies," "Spite Suicide" and "Miasma." All with amazing guitarwork and vocals. What I love about this album is the fact that they stayed true to their original sound but changed it for the better with a bit more melody. There is nothing I hate of this album and wouldn't change a thing besides some of the drum beats. This album does contain mature content and there are no edited versions available in stores, so as I said before, before you purchase this album be sure you are not faint of heart and that you wont get it taken away from you when you take it home. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: Enduora, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Definetly one of my favorites, and most anticipated album of 2005. First of all, the production on this album is much better in comparison to their first album, "Unhallowed." And one of the even better aspects of this album is the new drummer. Not to bash on the drummer from Unhallowed, but the material on "Miasma" is much more complex, but musical. The opening song, "Built For Sin" delivers a great "talk back to each other" type of tremolo guitar work. While one guitar tremolo picks a note, the other moves with a melody, and the 1st guitar then proceeds to play a continuation of the beginning melody. This moves into the next song, "I'm Charming." This song really gets moving, and there are some really stand-out riffs in this song alone. My personal favorites are track 4 "Statutory Ape" track 5 "A Vulgar Picture" and the title track, "Miasma." As an album as a whole, it's argueably leaps and bounds musicially beyond their first release "Unhallowed." If you're into death metal, please check out this record. If anything, go to their myspace and get a taste. This is a great album, and think for yourself, listen to it. // 9

Lyrics: I'm not too big on the lyrics, write whatever you feel. Really, I'm listening to the vocal style and approach in accordance to the music. On this album, it's done very, very well, growls are more deeper and developed, as well as the higher pitched stuff. There is one singer in the band, and he covers a lot of ground by himself. His rhythmic placement (the rhythm in which he sings his lyrics) is great. After hearing the songs a few times, you can clearly remember the rhythm of certain parts, as well as his pitch (growling, or higher pitched). This to me (rhythmic placement of vocals) can make songs very memorable, in other words, the vocals aren't in the background, it plays a vital role in the overall effect of the music as a whole. In a nutshell, he did a great job doing vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is it's going to be in cd player quite often until their next release. The real standout track for me, if I could only pick one would be "Statutory Ape." This song has some great guitar melodies that to me are dark, and what I guess could be described as "hypnotiq" (the tremolo picking in the chorus). Everything in this song is full-force, and really delivers. The guitarists really pick great harmonies (note choice) to make the melodies sound stronger, darker. This is a great death metal album, and I would suggest to anyone into metal to pick this one up. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: BassmastaRob, on march 19, 2007

Sound: Two words. Blown away. Trevor's vocals tear through you in an oral assault. The guitar melodies are technical and add a great sound (Statutory Ape). The drums are some of the best I've heard in a long time and meld completly with the sound of the rest of the band. People may want to call this death metal, but it is mostly metalcore with a death metal influence. All the songs on the album lead into each other, with the exception of A Vulgar Picture. I'm not saying it's a bad song but if you listen to the whole album it just jumps in there. A perfect sound that enhances on Unhallowed. // 10

Lyrics: Trevor is an exceptional vocalist with his highs screams and low growls. The songs have a creepier feel to them then they have on Unhallowed with songs about necrophilia and war. Some songs have worse qualit than others on the album but it doesnt't take away from the greatness of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is, in my opinion, the better of the two Black Dahlia Murder albums. It is musically superior than most bands can muster. And this is only the second album. I will be awating thier nex one (once they get a drummer). The best song on the album is byt far Statutory Ape. The fast and melodic guitars with the insanely fast drums create an instant favorite in my book. The only thing I can say that's bad is on a couple songs the vocal quality is not as good as it is on other songs. If someone stole this I would beat their face into a pulp, being careful not to get anything on the CD. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: flyingfrenchfry, on september 17, 2007

Sound: My cousin introduced me to the Black Dahlia Murder about three weeks ago. When you first listen to the band (unless you love death metal and screaming), you will probably be taken aback. But if you like fast metal guitar and screaming reminiscient of Cradle of Filth's frontman Dani Filth, then you should get along with either their first album, Unhallowed, or their second, more "cleaned-up" album, Miasma. For you guitar maniacs, you'll love to learn that almost every single song they put out has a twenty to forty five second solo. The solos are decent, more harmonizing than technical. The drums (Shannon Lucas) are insane, and probably drive the real engine of the band. The guitars always have an interesting riff to present and 90% of the songs on Miasma are player faster than 180 bpm. So crack your neck and stretch your spine as you'll be banging your head to this gruesome product of a CD. Bottom line, a significant step up from their prior release. Look for their latest album coming out September 22, 2007, Nocturnal. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and fast and evil. This CD is not for the faint of heart, but shouldn't be resisted by common metal/goth lovers. It is an excellent example of it's genre, as portrayed through it's meaningful yet extreme lyrics. It is of worthy note that the high pitched screaming and low pitched growls are performed by only one singer, Trevor Strnad. Strnad is extremely competent in convincing the singer of his ability to grunt and scream on pace and in tune. Yet, his style is repetitive throughout the album, and he should have incorporated more crescendos and tempo changes to express more vitality into the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: As far as the genre of death metal goes, it's a no brainer. You have to pick up this album to add to your collection. Unhallowed is a good buy, but Miasma is more refined, and more collaborated. If you want the rawest of the raw, but the first album. If you want raw but harmonically inclined, buy Miasma. The solos are improved in Miasma as well as the singing. Also, if you are a Rolling Stones fan, The Black Dahlia Murder has done a cover of their song, Paint it Black, a much more evil version but still very good. // 10

Miasma Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 10, 2007

Sound: There classic CD is the best yet, with great sounding and style, they have increased the distortion and grinding awesomeness vocals in this album, going from regular screaming to deathly growling vocals. Different styles are attached from different riffs, solos, vocals, drumming, bass and much more style of music and sound. This is one the best and there most best ever classic albums out there, this album will be remembered. // 10

Lyrics: There overall lyrics are quite different from some other death metal band, different style and meanings in there lyrics, compliance is somewhat different and different in the music itself genre. The singer skills is the best screamer and growler of all time I have to say in my own opinion, he screams and out of know where goes to deathly growling! It's very intense! The best of it he does it at the right time. // 10

Overall Impression: No compare for this one, they have there own style of music so all the other bands are behind TBDM. The most impressive about this album is the style and lyrics it self and the meaning to the lyrics and sound. I love how they have different riffs and vocaling styles in each song, I dislike how some of there songs could be better and more well thought of, if it ever gets lost I will buy a whole new of course this is the best classic album today and will officially be remember in The Black Dahlia Murder CD times best yet! // 10

More Black Dahlia Murder reviews rating latest review