Damaged Review

black flag: Damaged
Release Date: 1981
Label: SST
Genres: American Underground, Punk, Hardcore Punk
Damaged endured the slings and arrows of outrageous criticism to become and remain an important document of its time.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
Damaged Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on july 28, 2008

Sound: If I had to pick an album with the most raw, brutal sound in my collection, this would certainly be a contender. Imagine an assault of messy distorted guitars over screaming, angry vocals, and there you go, Black Flag. It had cheap recording quality, and I think that makes it all the better. Albums like this wouldn't be as good and raw if they had good production. // 9

Lyrics: While there's nothing amazing about the lyrics, they're better than you'd expect from an underground hardcore punk band. They're very anti-everything, such as police and government, but I don't get the whole "Anti-parent" controversy. I don't see that. Because of the vocal styling, you probably won't get a lot of the lyrics out of it, so they're. // 8

Overall Impression: This is probably the best hardcore punk album ever made. The only thing I can think of that gives it a run for it's money is New Day Rising by Husker Du. And I sort of agree and disagree with the other reviewer who didn't like tv party. I think it's a fun song, but way more mainstream than the other songs on Damaged. My personal favorites are Rise above, Damaged, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie, and Depression. This is a must for any punk funs, or just people who like fast, brutal music in general. // 9

Damaged Reviewed by: misfitsdisciple, on june 20, 2008

Sound: Contrasting slightly from earlier recordings, Damaged is an album with hardcore anthems such as "Rise Above" which define the era of punk they helped pioneer. Black Flag brings a heavy sound to this album and it fits well in their progression of sound. Tracks such as "Room 13" and "Damaged" show the evolution of this band's wild sound into something focused and razor sharp. Greg Ginn's guitar work along with Henry Rollins vocals bring a definite punch to the ear drums, Ginn is a guitar maniac with solos to prove it. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically Black Flag brings a hard hitting combination of anti-establishment and self hating/paranoia with just a touch of humor. For the most part the lyrics are beautifully written, aside from the sad addition of the song "TV Party" which is possibly Black Flag's worst song written. Anti-police songs like "Police Story" are traditional Black Flag, violent yet mocking and fast as hell. // 9

Overall Impression: For the time, Black Flag were pioneers. They paved the way for many with their hard and fast approach to music. Cut the crap and let the people hear the unadulterated sounds of chaos. Must say that this album is almost all good things, the only downfall would be keeping the track "TV Party" which is a jab at popular culture. Black Flag captures a heavy feeling while moving eerily close to the brink of insanity. This album is a staple in any Punk lover's collection. // 10

More Black Flag reviews rating latest review