Loose Nut Review

black flag: Loose Nut
Released: May 1985
Genre: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal
Label: SST Records
The sound of the band has really developed from when they started, basically completely changing, but definitely not in a bad way. This is Black Flag's second to last album and was released in 1985. This album is definitely a classic.
 8.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Loose Nut Reviewed by: MurderJunkie93, on july 06, 2011

Sound: The sound of the band has really developed from when they started, basically completely changing, but definitely not in a bad way. This is Black Flag's second to last album and was released in 1985, this album continues on from the sound that "My War" and "Slip It In" had begun to develop, but gives it a more "swinging" feel to it, like on "Annihilate This Week" and "This Is Good". The band is definitely getting heavier on this album, and their songs are getting catchy as hell. The only thing that lets it down is the flat sounding production which takes out some of the impact and power of these songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as on all Black Flag albums are genius, dealing with personal problems, emotions, life etc. The lyrics seem to just fit in perfectly with the music and together they really make an impact, Rollins however does not sound like he gave it his best effort as it seems to lack some of the anger that was in earlier records, and this further adds to that flat sound, however this is not really that much of a bother and the vocals are still great. The lyrics are also quite catchy. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is definitely a classic. Some of the most standout songs were: "Annihilate This Week", "Best One Yet", "This Is Good" and "Sinking". One thing I like about this album is that there is not a single bad track. The only thing that I didn't like was the strange, flat sounding production which seems to plague all their later releases, but the music still sounds awesome and doesnt't get held back too much. If I were to lose this album I would replace it. // 9

More Black Flag reviews rating latest review