My War Review

Released: Mar 1984
Genre: Hardcore Punk, Sludge Metal
Label: SST
Number Of Tracks:
My War was released after a long period where the band could not release any albums due to a legal dispute with Unicorn Records.
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
My War Reviewed by: punk4punk, on march 11, 2009

Sound: Well this band was a major proggressive thing that they had going, the overall sound is a very heavy and riff based one but still remaining with the usual black flag aggression and jazz influenced solos and licks but they slowed down the tempo's and gave it more variation in there timing like on I can't decide where it temporarily changes to 5/4 timing, which is an arkward fellow.for hardcore bands, tone isn't usually high on the agenda, but there tone is very sabbathish, which in my opinion is very nice! // 9

Lyrics: These lyrics are some of the most honest and emotional you will ever find, the aggression is still there from damage but seems to make me angrier and feel more emotions than balls to the wall damage. For the title track my war, the lyrics are superb 'tell me that I'm wrong, try to sing me your ego song' is a more complex and lyrically advanced than many punk bands which just use aggression and image instead of actually thinking about there songcraft which is why I think of the early hardcore bands such as black flag, germs and dead kennidies to be soo great, they showed more than anger, there intellegent side was put forward aswell. // 10

Overall Impression: I think there has or never will be a band like blackflag, the anger and seriousness portraied by them and there will never be an album that sounds like my war(bleach by nirvana came close). The only thing I hate is that the end of the album it gets realy realy slow compared to the start(my war to scream)overall though this album is frankly amazing and shows ther were more capable than just doing hardcore, peace out! // 10

More Black Flag reviews rating latest review