Hangover Music, Vol. 6 Review

black label society: Hangover Music, Vol. 6
Released: April 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
Zakk Wylde throws his own goatee into that ring with Black Label Society's Hangover Music, Vol. 6, a largely acoustic album.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
Hangover Music, Vol. 6 Reviewed by: Last To Fall, on march 28, 2005

Sound: I was absolutely shocked upon first listen to this album. Knowing Zakk Wylde I was sure that Hangover Music would be another heavy, loud and angry album (which he does very well by the way). Instead this album is full of piano and acoustic guitars with an electric guitar solo or riff here and there. It is a true testament to Wylde's songwriting capabilities as well as his versatility. If you want something heavy and aggresive, buy another BLS album, but this album is absolutely amazing. It is very relieving to see a guitarist so influential in the heavy metal world, change gears for a bit. // 10

Lyrics: Now I've never been a huge fan of Zakk's vocals as I've always seen that as secondary to his guitar playing. However I was quite impressed with this album. The lyrics are thought-provoking and Zakk really gives each song his all in the vocal department. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very different sound for Zakk Wylde and I'm quite pleased. You can always put in another album of his to raise some hell, but this is perhaps his most impressive work yet. Every song is great, but my favorites are "Won't Find It Here," "Queen Of Sorrow" and "House Of Doom." I already lost the album and re-purchased it, so I suppose that answers the question of whether or not I'd buy it again. I'd highly recommend this album to anyone. It will change your perceptions of Zakk Wylde for sure. // 10

Hangover Music, Vol. 6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2004

Sound: As far as the music goes, I was a tad disappointed. I was hoping for a far more heavily electrified effort, as with Zakk's previous releases. There was a lot of piano and acoustic guitar on this album. There was a good share of electric guitar, mostly with the solos, but some chourses and verses had electric guitars. However, we do see Zakk display amazing talent as an acoustic guitarist and his ability to write good songs with regular chords as opposed to heavy metal power chords. I still think some of the songs would have sounded better electrified, i.e. No Other. // 8

Lyrics: Zakk, once again, displays great lyrical ability and great singing talent. The lyrics went pretty well with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Although Zakk wrote more ballad-like material for this album, so he loses points for that, but he gets them back by writing what he thinks sounds cool and being confident about it. Don't get me wrong, I love power ballads, but when someone like Zakk Wylde writes and records almost an entire album's worth of them. This album was still very cool though. It shows that a hard, crunchy, crazy rocker can take his lyrical style and combine it with mostly acoustic music and make it sound cool. So, in the end, I'd get this CD again if it got lost or stolen. // 10

More Black Label Society reviews rating latest review