Mafia Review

9.7
 9.9
 9.4
Mafia Reviewed by: justinsturek, on october 10, 2005

Sound: This band has a sound like no other because only 2 people can bust out harmonics and whammyless divebombs like Zakk Wylde and no one else makes it sound as good. Zakk used a CryBaby Custom Zakk Wylde wah pedal and a "Gibson Les Paul Timebomb Zakk Wylde Custom" guitar (I don't no the distortion pedal). // 10

Lyrics: Some lyrics were about drinking and getting stoned and some were about a long lost love and some were just about havin a good time, no matter how you look at it the lyrics are awesome. Zakk Wylde has one of the greatest vocals alive and he plays extremely hard riffs at the same time so in my opinion he is the greatest singer right now. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far 1 of the best albums of the year. The most impressive songs are; Suicide Messiah (which is a fast song played with bone crushing riffs followed by an intense solo) In This River (a slow song with almost all piano, done by Zakk Wylde, and a crazy solos right smack dab in the middle of it) Dirt On The Grave (slow song with some more up beat parts, sounds like it was made in the '70s slammed together with some awesome acustic guitaring). // 10

Mafia Reviewed by: danilo19, on september 29, 2005

Sound: The sound on this CD is really good I think. To me it seems like the stidio mixing was bad though, it's kinda quiet on a few song. This is the basic BLS metal and its badass. Zakk and the boys are amazing on it as always. I really like how Zakk employed the talkbox on this CD, he uses it quite a bit. Zakk also plays a lot of piano on this CD and hes suprisingly good. This CD is so good my mom really enjoyed it she told me cause we listened to it on the way back from the mall where I got it. She liked In This River and she reeally like the bonus track "I Never Dreamed" which so far is one of my favorites also. // 10

Lyrics: Zakk is great with lyrics. I love how he sings on the bonus track, he gives a Skynyrd feel and but the guitar gives it that BLS feel and for some odd reason it works great. The lyrics match with the music very well I think. Theres no question about Zakks singing skill hes definitely got some. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this CD is way better than any other CD of theirs. I think the bonus track "I Never Dreamed" and Suicide Messiah" are the most impressive I never heard the extra minute of Suicide Messiah before and its really cool, really heavy metal. the end of the "Forever Down" solo really impressed me it was harmonized which I thought was cool. The song "You Must Be Blind" was my least favorite, I think the noises during the part where he says "You must be blind" sounded like shit and I think the solo was crap, coming from Zakk. I love the skil behind the music. I think you can tell by listening to it the band has really good chemistry when it comes to playin music. The thing I hate is the bad sound on some of the songs. I think it's the mixing. If it were stolen I think I would buy it again but id probably just download it since I'm saving money for an amp or guitar. // 10

Mafia Reviewed by: faqu, on march 02, 2005

Sound: This is probably the band's best album when it comes to their sound. Very well produced sound. An almost perfect mix of guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. This album is kinda remind me of "Stronger Than Death." One of this album highlights is the guitar solos! Zakk wrote all the music and played all the guitars. // 10

Lyrics: This album will show Zakk's vocal talent, in songs like "Forever Down" and "Say What You Will." The lyrics are nothing special, but for true BLS fans, this will not fail you. As I said before, this is probebly Zakk's best vocal work since "Pride & Glory." // 10

Overall Impression: This is typical BLS sound, Zakk is one of the hardest working man in the music buisness. He put out a BLS album every year since they are a band, and every album is never a let down. If anything, they keep getting better, they have their own sound, the "Black Label" sound. I don't have any favorite songs becouse I just cant chose. The only thing I didnt liked was the chorus of "You Must Be Blind." My favorite solo is the solo for "Forever Down." This album was all written and recorded before the tragic death of Zakk's close friend, so he couldn't write any songs for him. However, there is a very nice slow song on the album called "In This River." Zakk is dedicating the song for dime every time before he perform it, and he says a few words about dime. The first single is the hard rockin tune "Suicide Messiah," wich he also performed this song and "In This River" acoustic. If your'e a BLS fan you must get it, and if you are a heavy metal fan, you should check out this band, this album is a great album for somebody who just getting into BLS. // 10

Mafia Reviewed by: partyinmymind, on march 15, 2005

Sound: This is quite possibly the best sounding thing Zakk Wylde has released to date. If you know anything about him you know that his guitar tone is one of the greatest in rock history, and it is in full force here. This album is exceptionally clean and the recording and mixing are damn near perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Zakk keeps getting better at singing and writing lyrics. He shows off his skills on pretty much every song. The lyrics are mostly about death and destruction and the title of the song is usually what it's about. But, they flow very well and complement the music excellently. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Black Label Society album to date hands down. Every single song is good, but the ones that really stand out are "Fire It Up," "Say What You Will," and "Been A Long Time." The riffs and solos are absolutely mind blowing, and the bass is equally good. The only thing I have a problem with are the drums. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but they just sound to basic to be going with amazing guitar and bass. This album is the best to come out so far this year and if I lost it you bet I'd go get another one. If you like metal at all go buy this album. // 10

Mafia Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: I'll be the first to admit that I am a Zakk Wylde fan in general, but I think this is one of his 2 best CD's and a perfect buy for someone giving Black Label Society a try for the first time. He has a good blend of thundering rockers (Forever Down, You Must Be Blind, and Say What You Will) mixed with some soulful ballads (In This River and Dirt on the Grave). He changed his sound up a little using Moog Synth and Talk Box and the production and mixing on this are absolutely perfect, while still maintaining his raw attitude and characteristic blazing solos and pinched harmonics. For those curious, I think his self-titled Book Of Shadows is my other favorite. It showcases his voice and versatility with some beautiful acoustic blues/Southern rock (kind of Skynyrd'ish). These extremes show his musical depth. // 10

Lyrics: As others pointed out, Zakk tends to have a "doom and gloom" feeling to his music and lyrics, but they generallyy fit each other well. While not an overly deep/skilled writer, I think he has gotten better over the years and he clearly sings it like he feels it. I think his voice is an acquired taste and often sounds best when he tones it down for a ballad. On most of his albums I like the music, but it is hit or miss if I like the song/vocals in general this album is one of the exceptions. I saw him live on this tour in Minneapolis and his energy and sound translate well in a live setting. // 8

Overall Impression: This is just a fantastic, hard-rocking album. I've had it in my CD player almost constantly since I bought it when it came out and I think it will be a mainstay in my collection. I think "You Must Be Blind" and "Forever Down" are my two favorites just because they have an infectious driving rythmn to them. While his other CD's all have songs I like, this is the only CD that doesn't have anything on it I dislike. I hope that is just progression in his music and a sign of future things to come. I put his sound somewhat in the category of Metallica. I think he achieved on this CD what they should have achieved on St Anger, raw, heavy music, but well produced and mixed; the live intensity without the poor sound quality. // 10

More Black Label Society reviews rating latest review