The Blessed Hellride Review

9.5
 9.5
 9.4
The Blessed Hellride Reviewed by: Sloofus, on april 23, 2004

Sound: The music is practically indescribable. It is a very unique, rare form of metal. Zakk Wylde's guitar skills are absolutely incredible. The bending squeals is probably his signature sound. Once you hear it, you will always remember it defines Zakk Wylde. His tones are unmatched by anyone in the music industry. If people like Pantera or Metallica, I would suggest this CD. I would like to call Black Label Society, Pantera, and Metallica "Skilled" metal. In "skilled" metal, the vocals are decent and understandable, the guitar is excellent (with solos of course), and the music motivates you to push yourself to the limit. I listen to BLS when lifting weights for example, and when I hear the solos to "Stoned and drunk" or "Funeral Bell", the music floods my system giving me the strength to go heavier and faster on my sets. // 10

Lyrics: When I was first introduced to BLS I was a little worried. The CD looked like a typical growl and scream non-comprehensive death-metal album. I was very shocked. Zakk Wylde has a very different, gruff, "manly" if you will, voice and he exploits it for all it is worth. The lyrics and track titles themselves are quite interesting. Many have references to death and destruction. The track titles "Stillborn", "Doomsday Jesus", and "Final Solution" are prime examples. But do not judge the cd by the track titles and lyrics. Often, these seeming horrid words tend to have alternate meanings. For example, in the song "Stillborn", he uses the word to describe how he is feeling. (A stillborn is a child that is born dead). Should I complain about anything on the cd, it would be the vulgar titles/lyrics, though there is very little swearing throughout the whole cd, and when it occurs, it is a little one, like the ones often heard on television. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very skilled type of metal whos genre is quickly dying out. In my opinion, this album blows basically every other album out of the album. My favorite songs on the album are: "Stoned and Drunk" because of Zakk's INCREDIBLE solo, "Funeral Bell" Because it was the song that introduced me to Black Label Society and always kind of stuck with me, and finally, "Blackened Waters". I can't explain why I like "Blackened Waters", but it is one of their softer songs that is very appealing. I highly recommend this album if you enjoy quality metal music that has talent. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to re-purchase this album. Black Label Society released another album (Hangover Music) today (4/20/2004) which I am listening to right now. It is a collection of Black Label Society's more softer songs, resembling the sounds from "Blessed Hellride", "Dead Meadow", and "Blackened Waters". I would also recommend this album. // 10

The Blessed Hellride Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on february 03, 2007

Sound: Oh man, what a wicked album! This would have to be the best effort that BLS has put out to date in my honest opinion. All the songs are just amazing from beginning to end. A really brutal, hard-hitting feel at times, as well as a few softer, more laid-back ones at others for a good measure. Zakk's vocals are the heaviest I've ever heard, as well as some of his leads & riffs which are so much more extravagant than most of his earlier works. If there's another album more appropriately titled than this one, I'd sure like to find it because this one truly is "The Blessed Hellride" (and not really for the faint of heart for the most part)! // 10

Lyrics: Like I said, Zakk is at his most brutal on this album, and that really stems from the lyrics & vocals in this one. Songs like the opening track, "Stoned & Drunk", the chorus part for "Doomsday Jesus" and the ending of the interlude in "Suffering Overdue" are really belted out with a certain quality that can send chills down your spine, and really get you worked up and in a hell-rasing mood! And then there are those softer moments that still have a dark/gloomy & almost depressing feel to them. Songs like "Blackened Waters" and the final track, "Dead Meadow" can be difficult to listen to at times. Lyrics that go "We all drowned in Blackened Waters" or even "Nothing lives, nothing grows in the dead meadow" etc. are probably most easily listened in conjunction with the album as a whole; which really makes it seem that much more amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I can very easily say that this is my favourite BLS album, and I'm including works up until very recently such as "Mafia" and even 2006's "Shot To Hell." This is the most brutal BLS album yet, and will probably remain to be so for years to come. My favourite tunes are "Blackened Waters", "Suffering Overdue", "Stoned & Drunk", "Doomsday Jesus", and "Destruction Overdrive". But really, the whole album is incredible, any Zakk Wylde or BLS fan must have this one! The only problem I really have with this album is the fact that it's like 40 minutes long or so. But then again, that just leaves it with less room for filler material. The bottom line: I would very easily replace this album if it were lost/stolen etc. It's just too damn good in my opinion. In fact, one of my favourite albums of all time! // 10

The Blessed Hellride Reviewed by: wylde fan, on december 28, 2006

Sound: From start to finish, this album is a relentless attack to the ears! Fortunatley if you're a metal fan, you will love this attack. I can't really compare BLS to any other band, they have their own sound. If you like metallica or pantera you will love BLS's blessed hellride. Even though Wylde is more known for his virtuoso guitar soloing, he also writes some sweet guitar riffs, ex. are shown in his pig squealing "Stillborn" and his hard driving "Funeral Bells". Guitars aside he is also an excellent raw singer. His range can go high pitched(and at times almost sounding like bandmate Ozzy Osbourne) to a low raspy voice similar to james hetfield. // 10

Lyrics: If I were just reading the lyrics on a piece of paper, than I wouldn't really think too much of them, but hearing them in the songs, they sound "perfect". Zakk Wylde is no Bob Dyaln, he's not known for his lyrics, he's known for being one of the greatest guitarists. Overall the lyrics do seem fairly deep and personnal, a lot of his songs have to do with getting boozed up, death and destruction. Don't let this discourage you from buying the album, this band is not some death metal band that just screams at the top of their lungs and pound their instruments as fast as possible. These songs were thoughtfully written and well-crafted. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is filled with excellent songs. My personnal favourites are "We live no more" a rare, but good ballad by the band "Funeral Bells" an awesome pouding riff which is complimented with an excellent guitar solo; and of cousre the hit off the album "Stillborn". I love everything about this album, this is the album that introduced me to the band. I honestly was a bit hesitant about buying the album, I was expecting some death metal band obssesed with pounding their instruments and writing demonic satanist songs. I bought the album thinking of Zakk's contribution to Ozzy Osbourne. He wrote excellent songs with the godfather of metal, I figured I should see what his solo work sounds like and I'm sure glad I did it. I bought with low expectations, and now have high ones for the next album. The Blessed Hellride is a true Heavy Metal album! // 10

More Black Label Society reviews rating latest review