Black Sabbath Review

black sabbath: Black Sabbath
Released: May 1970
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, Album Rock
Black Sabbath's debut album is given over to lengthy songs and suite-like pieces where individual songs blur together and riffs pound away one after another, frequently under extended jams.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
Black Sabbath Reviewed by: TheStraightener, on december 03, 2007

Sound: The rain is pouring on the ground, lightning strikes in the distance, your body is enveloped in a dark void, a shadow approaches you. That figure gives you a new record, and you pop it into your player. Then you hear that Satanic tritone, a new sound, a new feeling. That's right folks, that is the birth of heavy metal. Three dakr, powerful notes, followed by more notes in a faster pace, then ended with a crazy solo where that long-haired vocalist absolutely becomes a psychomaniac. This album, after scaring your pants off, then tries to lull you into an eternal sleep with a soft mellow mellody. Then a former rythym guitarist pulls out an insane bass solo using a wahwah pedal. Then "Lucifer" tries to induce you into loving him with an absolutely memeroable riff and smooth guitar solos. Then a "Wizard" walks by with a harmonica in his mouth and plays you another very memorable riff. Then this album again tries to put you to sleep by describing a serene sunrise, only to have the guitarist pull out some riffs in vengenace of his sheet factory incident. This album also has two godd covers. One of them "The Warning", Mr. Tony Iommi shows off some of his two-fingered guitar skill, and makes the whole song sound completely different from the original for the most part. Then there was a song about "Evil Women", another good cover. Then later on, another song is added to the album, that ses obvious jazz influesnces and some killer guitar playing. The one thing this album does better than any other Black Sabbath album (except for maybe Paranoid) is that it consistently keeps that jazzy bluesy dark atmosphere in the whole song, and has some real heavy metal riffs added into the mix. Every song is different, yet every song somehow has a very similar feel to it. This album is consistent, and it creates a whole new genre. What more can you ask for? // 10

Lyrics: "Satan's sitting there, he's smiling." "Satan's coming round the bend." "My name is Lucifer, please take my hand." Not only did the sound of the album throw off a lot of people, but the lyrics did as well. Black Sabbath talks about Satan coming and an apocalypse beginning. NIB talks about the devil trying to make you fall in love with him. Behind the Wall of Sleep is inspired from good ol' Lovecraft. The lyrics were consistent, and they had a real serious feel to them, which was completely appropriate. As for that crazy guy singing them, well, he aint the best vocalist ever, but his voice fits in perfectly. Ozzy's voice had this kind of eerie feeling to it, which completes this dark formula this band was trying to create. // 10

Overall Impression: If I were in a band, and our first official album was anything like this, I would be extremely proud of myself (and my band). This album creates a real dark impression, and it also creates a new genre. It is a very consistent album by almost all aspects, and it by no means is repetitive. Many other albums are either to repetitive, or just are way too varied. This album is a perfect mix. This album also did allow Iommi and Butler to show off their great skills. This album has no complicated songs by any means. However, if you want complex, go listen to Rush or something. As for Black Sabbath, they kept it simple. The jazz influences were obvious, and a lot of the riffs are extremely simple. This album has some really memorable songs. However, this album doesn't produce some of Black Sabbath's best singles. Though as an album overall, it is easily one of their best. Each song together in a collaberative effort really make this album shine. Well, I'm not sure if "shine" would be such an appropriate word. Anyways, this album is completely wirth whatever the amount it costs. It is easily one of the top albums of not only by Black Sabbath, but of all time. If somebody were to steal this album from me, I would hunt that person down and burn him/her at a stake! // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: I am the Drake, on december 10, 2007

Sound: In my opinion Black Sabbath is the best hard rock band there is. But that's just my opinion. I say this because nearly every hard rock or heavy metal band will tell you that they were influenced by Sabbath. This album started it all. I love the classic Sabbath sound that is introduced on this album. They are such a good band and they put a lot of passion into their music and it shows on this album. I can only think of a few more bands that have members that play as well as these guys do. The only thing about this album is that it was made in 1970 so the recording technology wasn't that impressive back then so I'll have to knock off a point or two for that. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album fit perfectly with all of the dark and gloomy riffs that Iommi cranks out through the whole thing. Great lyrics with great music to go along with them. Ozzy does sound a bit odd on the title track but it's still good. Osbourne isn't that great of a singer but since his voice is so unique I think that it completely makes up for it. One of the greatest frontmen in rock history. I heard that the whole album was recorded in one seven hour session. If this is true you can definitely tell the toll it was taking on Osbourne's voice on the last few songs of the album. I think that he sounds good though. // 8

Overall Impression: I might have to say that this is my favorite Sabbath album. I loved it the first time I heard it and I like it just as much today. I can listen to the whole thing and not get bored. The highlights of the album would have to be the opening track "Black Sabbath", The Wizard, "Behind The Wall of Sleep/Bassically/N.I.B." and Iommis solo on "Warning". My least favorite song on the album would have to be "Wicked World" though. I'm not saying that it's a bad song I'm just saying that it doesn't really do much for me. The solos in it are good though. That's expected though. It's Tony Iommi. // 9

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: playinbass1432, on december 23, 2007

Sound: This 1970 disc is the debut record of the fathers of heavy metal, Black Sabbath. Recorded throughout 1969, this album boasts many catchy guitar riffs, courtesy of Tony Iommi, backed by Geezer Butler's pentatonic walks and numerous tending-snapping bends, and of course, Ward's constant slamming behind the kit. The sound on Black Sabbath isn't as polished-sounding than on Paranoid or Master of Reality, but it's still a great sound, given the recording equipment and techniques available in those days. // 8

Lyrics: Geezer's lyrics on this album are good. Mainly sticking to themes such as the occult and destruction. On some tracks, the vocals will actually double the riff being played by the guitar and bass. This is showcased especially on "NIB", where Ozzy harmonizes in perfect sync with the songs unhurried, 4/4 shuffle. Ozzy's vocals are excellent on this album. His voice is, to say the least, chilling. Especially on the title track, and the haunting "Behind the Wall Of Sleep". // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of my personal favorites, and is one of the standouts in my CD collection. Some of my favorites off the disc are "Black Sabbath", "NIB", and "Warning". This was a very good introduction to the grimy quartet from Birmingham. They really gave it all they had for this one, and the result? A hard rock classic, to be cherished by generations of new fans to come. // 8

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Sound: People say Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple started metal but those bands are not metal bands, Black Sabbath started the whole thing and this is the 1st metal album. This got other bands to use distorshin in thier guitars. There would not be Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, or Hatebreed if this album wasnt released. This has everything, Ozzy's gloomy singing, Tony's heavy guitar, Bill's fast drum solos or Geezer's distorted bass. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good and it fits the music well. Ozzy is a great singer but his voice sounds a little different on this album, still good though. // 10

Overall Impression: This may not be better than Parinoid but this album still kick ass and it has been 30+ years since its release and still sounds heavy today. The best songs are Black Sabbath, Behind The Wall Of Sleep, NIB, and The Wizard. I love this album beacause it stook out from the rest back then and no one else sounded like that and that was when metal was born. So go get this album now. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Sound: Amazing sound. Tony Iommi had a heavier tone then anyone before him and played a new kind of blues on this album which has influenced every hard rocker that came after. Amazing solos on NIB and The Warning. Great drumming on The Wizard. // 10

Lyrics: Songs like Black Sabbath and NIB were very influential because songs about satan and other mystical things were rare back then but became huge later on. Not the best singing ever but it still sounds great. // 8

Overall Impression: Best album ever in my opinion. Loud and heavy without being annoying is what makes Black Sabbath the best metal band ever. Recorded in just 2 days and sounds like the band is just jamming on The Warning. Best songs are Black Sabbath, NIB and The Warning. More albums should be recorded like this instead of in front of computer screens. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: desmondtiny, on january 04, 2006

Sound: What can I say? This was the band that were first to make heavy metal. From the down-tuned, minor chords of Tony Iommi, the distorted power bass of Geezer Butler, the rolling drums of Bill Ward and the nasal paesamistic voice of Ozzy Osbourne. They are all good musicians who are great at what they do, producing powerful, heavy music. Full of hard rock songs about the devil and death. Don't be fooled, this is an incredible album for when it was made (August 1970). // 10

Lyrics: Not Sabbath's strongpoint, but their lyrics about the devil really touched me. Ozzy isn't the best singer, but suits BS perfectly. Love it. Inspired famous metal singers like James Hetfield of Metallica. // 9

Overall Impression: Best songs are N. I. B and Black Sabbath. Budding guitarists get this! One of the 3 best sabbath albums - Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master Of Reality. I love the opener. Fans of Classic Rock, Led Zeppelin, Pink FLoyd, Queen, Rush and even Dream Theater should adore this album. I'd get it no matter what. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: black_maiden122, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Wow, I would have to say this is not an album you want to listen to if your a lone. This CD is full of heavy guitar riffs, amazing vocals, and the creepyest lyrics around. Most memerable song is Black Sabbath, which starts out with a bunch of rain pounding, which is the perfect intro to this Sabbath song. Every song on this CD is amazing and just leaves you begging for more Sabbath. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Black Sabbath has got to be the creepyest song ever writen. In the Wizard the vocals perfectly blend in with everything going around. I don't usually care about the lyrics for a song, but Black Sabbath deffinatly has the best lyrics around. I love the lyrics Geezer writes, they perfectly flow with Tonys pounding riffs. // 10

Overall Impression: Its hard to say this is the best Sabbath album, because every single one completely rocks my boat. I love everything about this album. The most impressive song has to be Black Sabbath, it's Black Sabbath at their finest. If this were lost or stolen I would kill the thief and steal it back, buy another CD, and keep one of them in a safe. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 19, 2006

Sound: First of all this album is totally different to any other Black Sabbath album. The sound quality is very good though, being thier first album and recorded in 1970 it is terrific. Some of the songs are very blusesy, such as the Evil Women song that was recorded at the same time the album was released but this track was not included for some reason. Excellent guitar riffs and solos by Tony Iommi (as always). I can listen to N.I.B. over and over again and not get tired of it. With Tony and Geezer both tuning thier guitars down one full step it makes for a much heavier guitar sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics written mostly by Geezer Butler. The song Black Sabbath is based on an experience that Geezer had with somekind of supernatural creature. The lyrics go with the music very well infact I think that this Sabbath album may have the best written lyrics of all the Sabbath albums. Ozzy's singing sound on this album is legendary, sounds as good as he ever has. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that Black Sabbath is much better than Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, them being the two most heavy bands after Sabbath. Not that they are bad, I mean I have alot of Zeppelin and Purple albums to but there is just something about Black Sabbath. The most impressive songs on this album for me would have to be Black Sabbath, Behind The Wall Of Sleep and N.I.B. One thing I don't like is how the tracks have been put together, with Wasp, Basically and N.I.B. being one 9 minute track and also A Bit Of Finger, Sleeping Village and Warning all pieced together being a 14 minute track. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again and I do reccomend this to any metal music fans. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: krymson, on november 29, 2006

Sound: This is what many people consider to be the first true metal album ever created, and it's amazing. The entire album has a very dark, grimm tone. Ozzy's vocals haven't yet reach the standards that we know them today but are very creepy on tracks like "Black Sabbath" and "N.I.B." Iommi's riffs are amazingly catchy and are complimented by Geezer Butlers innovative style of bass playing. Not to mention Bill Ward is a monster of the drums which adds to the overall heavyness of the album. // 9

Lyrics: Black Sabbath - the song scarred the shit out of me when I first heard it. Very creepy. Inspired by when Geezer woke up in the middle of the night and saw a dark figure at the end of his bed. The Wizard - this song features some of the catchiest Black Sabbath riffs ever and sounds great with Ozzy's harmonica. The lyrics are used are used as a metaphor to describe a drug dealer. Wasp/Behind The Wall Of Sleep/Bassically/NIB - Behind The Wall Of Sleep is a very chilled song for the most part and flows very well into Bassically which is a killer bass solo by Geezer Butler. And then NIB to cap off this 9:44 song. The lyrics are about the devil falling in love, written by Geezer because people claimed he couldn't write a love song. Features some of the best riffs ever made by Iommi. Wicked World - very catchy song about a dark subject. This was Black Sabbath's response the hippie movement. Lots of the popular acts sung about peace and love but Black Sabbath sung about there experiences in Birmingham growing up. Great guitar solo by Iommi. A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning - starts off very chill with a creepy vocals preformance by Ozzy. Builds up into some heavey riffs. The song continues with a very bluesy sounding riffs by Iommi, Geezer and Bill create a solid rythm in this song. Near the 10 minute mark in the song, it starts to break off into almost many different riffs raning from heavey, to bluesy, to chill. Song is about falling in love with something but not being able to have them. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is by far the creepiest of all of Black Sabbath's albums. The creepiest/best songs being "Black Sabbath" and "NIB", even now all the song are great, these ones stand above the others. This album was groundbreaking in the sense that the lyrical subject matter was extremely dark, oppose to the very peace and love sound of the popular bands at the time. There's nothing I would change about this album it is a must for any metal/rock fan. // 10

Black Sabbath Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on june 09, 2008

Sound: This is one of the first Heavy Metal albums ever, and it's awesome. The songs NIB and Black Sabbath are the standout songs on this album and are by far the heaviest. Black Sabbath is an insanely evil sounding song and is quite haunting. Other songs include The Wizard, The Warning and Behind The Wall Of Sleep. Those 3 are less doomy sounding, but still very heavy for 1969. // 10

Lyrics: The one word I would you to describe the lyrics of this album would be "Satanic." More than one song mentions Satan and the other lyrics could be regarded as "evil." Ozzy's first album and he sounds great. His voice is quite rhaspy on here, and it sounds really cool. // 8

Overall Impression: This record was like no other of it's time, and for that it should be recognized. My favourite songs are Black Sabbath and NIB. One of the things I love about this album is what it did to music, and how it helped spawn heavy metal. One thing I don't really like about it as it's not as melodic as some of their later work, which I really like. I'd go and buy/download a few of the songs on this album, should they go missing. // 9

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review