Cross Purposes Review

artist: black sabbath date: 08/21/2007 category: compact discs
black sabbath: Cross Purposes
Release Date: Feb 8, 1994
Label: IRS
Genres: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, Power Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metal
 8.3
 8.7
 7.9
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Cross Purposes Reviewed by: Smitty370, on august 21, 2007

Sound: This albums not classic sounding Ozzy with Geoff Nicholl's new age keyboarding, but for me it sound right. Tony Iommi's guitar sounds great no matter what he does. Tony Martin on the other hand, his vocal work wasn't well, used in this album. He didn't use his powerful voice like in 'all' the songs "Headless Cross". He didn't used his voice in some parts in Virtual Death, Immaculate Deception, Back to Eden, I Witness, and Cardinal Sin. If you really pay attention to Martin's singing, it sound like he's holding back. But he does and exellent job in the rest of the songs. 'Dying for Love' is the best sounding ballad the Black Sabbath has put out, ever. I don't care what anybody says different. // 8

Lyrics: I'm not big on lyrics. I pay more attention to the sound more to then what's being said. My understanding to what the lyrics mean is a once bright soul who once was powerful, but now wants nothing to with anything and looks to be in darkness for eternity. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is still very good to listen to. It's not some of Tony Martin's best work but he does a good job. My favorite songs on this album are the 2nd to 6th tracks. Too bad Eddie didn't get any credit on his solo work on Evil Eye. If you do have this album, keep it, Do Not Throw It Away. And if you don't have it, find it cause all Martin albums are very hard to find (besides EBay) were I live at least. // 9

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review