God Is Dead? [Single] Review

8.3
 7.2
review (1) 130 comments vote for this album:
God Is Dead? [Single] Reviewed by: Russcool, on april 22, 2013

Sound: Sabbath is back! This single made a lot of classic fans very happy and it's easy to tell why. The robust bass tone along with the formidable guitar riffs and Brad Wilk's heavy drum contribution is what made this track so epic. At 8:52 in length, the song never drags on. In my opinion, the best part of the song starts at about 6:15 when Tony Iommi's guitar riff comes in. That's when the whole song changes. Overall, the sound quality was perfect for Black Sabbath. They obviously didn't want to sound too clean cut and perfect, but the sound was more modern and comfortable. // 8

Lyrics: I thought that the lyrics to the song were really clever. My favorite line is, "Give me the wine, you take the bread," which clearly references the body and blood of Jesus Christ. There are also many allusions to God (of course), the bible, and other holy symbols. The satanic writing style of the group still stands strong. I like to think of this track as a what-is-happening-to-the-world kind of song. It reminds me of tragedies such as the Boston Marathon and the Texas Fertilizer Explosion. They make you wonder if God were really alive because he would not have let these horrific events occur. On a less depressing note, I can actually understand what Ozzy Osbourne is singing on this track! Thank God for advanced audio editing technology! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I, as well as many other listeners, am very satisfied with this single. I am also very excited for this album. This song strengthens my anticipation. The funniest thing I've heard about Black Sabbath recording this album is that it is the first album they wrote completely sober. However, can this hurt them as writers? It's good that they are off of the drugs and alcohol, but what if it was the best way for them to compose? This single strongly begs to differ, but I suppose we'll all see (or hear) for ourselves when "13" drops on June 11. Keep your ears peeled on May 15 when the band's next single, "End Of The Beginning", is released!

// 9